Royal Princess Wine List 10/2013

Astro Flyer

I'm jealous...there are no free wine tastings like yours that I know about near us.

All I can think of is that you've got the lovely weather and we can console ourselves with wine. ;)

Seriously, are you sure that there aren't any small local chain stores (the one here that sponsors them has 4 stores in Michigan and Illinois) that do it every so often for good customers?

They do it so we'll be introduced to new things and then purchase those new wines - it's not just to be nice!!!

Thanks -- sad as it was a lovely Rose.

Anjou Rose has traditionally been made from Grolleau Noir, a rather unique grape that is not pressed for commercial purposes other than Rose wines from the Loire region, (and often blended with Gamay and/or Cabernet Franc). Vineyard owners are finding that other varietals will yield more profit, so Anjou Rose is slowly slipping away due to the decrease in Grolleau Noir acreage. It does not surprise me that a cruise line's wine list would stop carrying it, since they buy in such bulk. The bulk simply isn't there much any more. Instead, they now offer the Fumees Blanches Rose which is from an international conglomerate that can no doubt offer both supply and low cost. The Rose is typically a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Negrette, the former of which, in my opinion, produces a Rose atypical of what most consumers crave. (Though Mulderbosch in South Africa makes a Rose of Cabernet that I quite enjoy.)

Anjou Rose has traditionally been made from Grolleau Noir, a rather unique grape that is not pressed for commercial purposes other than Rose wines from the Loire region, (and often blended with Gamay and/or Cabernet Franc). Vineyard owners are finding that other varietals will yield more profit, so Anjou Rose is slowly slipping away due to the decrease in Grolleau Noir acreage. It does not surprise me that a cruise line's wine list would stop carrying it, since they buy in such bulk. The bulk simply isn't there much any more. Instead, they now offer the Fumees Blanches Rose which is from an international conglomerate that can no doubt offer both supply and low cost. The Rose is typically a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Negrette, the former of which, in my opinion, produces a Rose atypical of what most consumers crave. (Though Mulderbosch in South Africa makes a Rose of Cabernet that I quite enjoy.)

Great info :) Now to find a wine DH will enjoy on our next Princess cruise….

Thank you for posting! We're on the Royal in January and my hubby always wants to check out the wine list before we sail, so he will be thrilled to see this :D

This is the MDR wine list & other venues may have additional options. Vines, Ocean Terrace, Bellini's & even Sabatini's may have additional choices. Earlier someone asked about a favorite not on this list & a photo showed it available at Bellini's. So check those other locations also for anything not on the MDR's wine list.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 weeks later...
This is the MDR wine list & other venues may have additional options. Vines, Ocean Terrace, Bellini's & even Sabatini's may have additional choices. Earlier someone asked about a favorite not on this list & a photo showed it available at Bellini's. So check those other locations also for anything not on the MDR's wine list.

Thank you for the tip! I've got some research to do ;)

• 1 month later...

Better late than never. I printed out the list for the consideration of our group. We usually take several bottles each, this way we can discuss and decide if we want to limit our carried on wine. We always pay the $15 cork fee, sometimes it's $45 ;)

• 6 months later...

If I order wine pre-cruise to be delivered to my cabin, is that wine stamped with the sea witch? If I bring it to the dining room, I shouldn't have to pay corkage because I bought it from Princess...correct?

Wow. Pretty significant changes to the list and many of my go-to choices are gone. I'm hoping there's a decent champagne available beyond the low end sparklers listed. Something along the lines of veuve cliquot' date=' mums, Moët. Pommery etc.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote']

I do too!! That's what I was looking for. Vines had a champagne tasting on a previous sailing and it was great! I hope they have it on our next sailing in October!

Great list Frank....one or two there I would be very happy to cuddle each night!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OOOOH! Me too!! We enjoy Simi Landslide and I love Franciscan Magnificat!

and while the Super Tuscans didn't sound familiar, I will definitely try one on the list!

If I order wine pre-cruise to be delivered to my cabin, is that wine stamped with the sea witch? If I bring it to the dining room, I shouldn't have to pay corkage because I bought it from Princess...correct?

I got a bottle of wine that was included with a UBD that had the Seawitch logo & we were able to bring the remaining wine to the MDR the next day without a fee. You are not suppose to pay corkage on any wine you get from Princess.

image.jpg.42bb3e025c0e6082ba6fe96d314219d7.jpg