Royal Princess Forward Lido Obstructed Balcony

bigenna

When we did the 5 day two weeks ago we had L106. It was beautiful. Yes the bottom half is metal not Plexiglas but the view was great, the patio was big and no one ever locked the door so we couldn't get out. In fact I did not see way they could even do that on our door.
Only you will be locking the door. We had L106 two weeks ago. It was magnificent but from the room all you see is metal wall. You have to go out side and walk up to the railing. That was fine with me.
It appears that minis L105/L106/M105/M106 have a non-standard layout. Is this correct? Do you have any photos?

Wow, thanks so much for the pics e2011 and c166774.

So it looks like the stateroom I have chosen is going to have a huge balcony like the Princess site indicates. It says 90 square feet, which is over double normal size.

C166774, was your stateroom also bigger than normal? The Regal indicates that including balcony L101 and L102 measure 360 sq ft so the room should be 270 sq ft.

Now if only that door could be opened while at sea... However only 2 sea days out of 12 so to me the extra space makes up for it and we will be close enough to pool area to get fresh air.

Thanks again for the invaluable experience you all share.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by bigenna

So it looks like the stateroom I have chosen is going to have a huge balcony like the Princess site indicates. It says 90 square feet, which is over double normal size.

C166774, was your stateroom also bigger than normal? The Regal indicates that including balcony L101 and L102 measure 360 sq ft so the room should be 270 sq ft.

Now if only that door could be opened while at sea... However only 2 sea days out of 12 so to me the extra space makes up for it and we will be close enough to pool area to get fresh air.

I would bet your door will never be locked and you will have full access even at sea. Our's never was locked.

Big Genna - I didn't post the photos - just commented on them. :) I'm in L107 next year (the big corner mini-suite) and I'll be sure to take photos and post them! It looks as if your cabin is a nice one with a large balcony. Enjoy your cruise.

Ooops sorry Cruisinisparadise , thanks so much for the pics.

So you are the one to answer the million dollar question..........Was the balcony door from your deluxe ocean view stateroom L102 able to be opened while at sea? If in fact it was locked, did you have to call for someone to open it when in port or did it have some type of automatic lock/unlock?

C166774, thanks, I am sure that I will love this cruise.

Edited by bigenna

I was booked into L103 and was concerned about the locking of the balcony door while at sea. Well I was upgraded to Mini Suite M105 a few days before boarding. That's one deck down and one cabin over.

Well my balcony door was never locked and I had use of the larger than usual balcony at sea and late at night.

1574045761_Nov2013017.jpg.70e0ceb736006b7280d7f392846f1c4a.jpg

374514199_Nov2013018.jpg.db89ce2990a3538a6fe481a851b46726.jpg

1872960472_Nov2013019.jpg.bfd93b5ee6524b49fb485107ad1ac666.jpg

1754808493_Nov2013020.jpg.210040020de705534edec37d54caa347.jpg

327530257_Nov2013021.jpg.6cdf56729c488e4eb40e11a31268596c.jpg

buchini, thanks for your post. Which stateroom were you in? And was it on a Mediterranean cruise. Not sure if that would make any difference?

Sorry, I don't see a previous post from you on this thread so unsure if you are referring to deluxe balcony, or the minisuites to either side of them.

I was booked into L103 and was concerned about the locking of the balcony door while at sea. Well I was upgraded to Mini Suite M105 a few days before boarding. That's one deck down and one cabin over.

Well my balcony door was never locked and I had use of the larger than usual balcony at sea and late at night.

Lovely cabin and great balcony! Did you like the room configuration?

RMS Olympic, did you happen to find out if the L102 Deluxe Balcony door was locked while at sea?

Buchini says that his was never locked at sea, which is great news and he sailed this month on the Royal, so I am hoping the Regal will be the same.

Fingers crossed.

Lucky you being upgraded to a mini suite.

I looked up at Lido deck each time I was outside during the day and while underway. I always saw others looking out from their railings. The impression I got was that only under really stormy conditions were you to stay off the balcony and keep the door closed. I found that while sailing, the wind was never a problem as the slant of the metal railing deflected the wind. The strange thing was how quiet it was up there looking at the bow.

I'd book one of the forward balconies in a heart beat.

I looked up at Lido deck each time I was outside during the day and while underway. I always saw others looking out from their railings. The impression I got was that only under really stormy conditions were you to stay off the balcony and keep the door closed. I found that while sailing, the wind was never a problem as the slant of the metal railing deflected the wind. The strange thing was how quiet it was up there looking at the bow.

Thank you so much for this info. It's good to know these forward balconies can be accessed while at sea (unless storms, etc.). I've booked L107 for a cruise next year and, from photos, it looks lovely, too! Thanks again!

Well, I am just over the moon happy. Thanks so much C16674, CruisinisParadise, RMSOlympic, and Buchini for that wonderful news.

Those are great pictures too.

I just knew you great folks at cruise critic would get me the inside information that the phone reps don't know about.

Edited by bigenna

Well, I am just over the moon happy. Thanks so much C16674, CruisinisParadise, RMSOlympic, and Buchini for that wonderful news.

Those are great pictures too.

I just knew you great folks at cruise critic would get me the inside information that the phone reps don't know about.

Looks as if you booked a winner. Have a wonderful cruise!

I switched our E103 for L101 because of these posts. We went from an sideways inside on Aloha to E103 to L101 !! Who needs an upgrade fairy??

worse case scenario, even if it gets locked, they'll be lots of room for my 6'3" DH and 6'4" DS in the cabin and on the balcony!!