Royal Princess Forward Lido Obstructed Balcony

bigenna

I was just in L108 for 26 days. The balcony door is NOT locked while at sea. But it's often windy up there so your ability to use it might be limited. The view is lovely up there - best on the ship. Only issue - and it IS an issue if you're a light sleeper - is the vibration and occasional wind noise that creates a deafening droning noise when intense wind is present. On my 26 day cruise, I was awoken or unable to go to sleep on a few occasions. A phone call down to passenger services with a request to tell the bridge to do something about it was honored and the wind went away shortly thereafter. I love this stateroom but for some sensitive ears, the vibration (the bed vibrates when the wind is intense) and occasional weird noise, may be a deal breaker.

Thanks for the quick reply! Both the deluxe at the front of Lido and the deluxe in hull ones on Emerald are still open for the date we picked as are the two BZ (L110 and L114) at the front port side of Lido for $298 per cabin less. Love having the options but just can't decide which we want. Don't think any of the three will be a bad pick.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick reply! Both the deluxe at the front of Lido and the deluxe in hull ones on Emerald are still open for the date we picked as are the two BZ (L110 and L114) at the front port side of Lido for $298 per cabin less. Love having the options but just can't decide which we want. Don't think any of the three will be a bad pick.

Thanks again!

We were in L103 in March aboard the Royal Princess. It was wonderful ! There was only 1 day where it felt too windy for me to sit and read a book. The balcony is BIG and I was out on it all the time.

The room was big too and very comfortable. I have photos but I never figured out how to add them into posts. My husband can do it sometime this weekend.

I would book this room again in a heartbeat and joyfully await cruising in it again !!

I open invited people from my role call to sail aways from the various ports on our cruise. Everyone was amazed at how much room there was and how wonderful the view is from up and front and center this room is.

L101 or L102 can only be better because they're more centered. And there was no noise from the Sanctuary and no problems with ship movement. It was smooth sailing for my son who suffers from motion sickness. Not one motion sickness pill the entire cruise.

We were in L103 in March aboard the Royal Princess. It was wonderful ! There was only 1 day where it felt too windy for me to sit and read a book. The balcony is BIG and I was out on it all the time.

The room was big too and very comfortable. I have photos but I never figured out how to add them into posts. My husband can do it sometime this weekend.

I would book this room again in a heartbeat and joyfully await cruising in it again !!

I open invited people from my role call to sail aways from the various ports on our cruise. Everyone was amazed at how much room there was and how wonderful the view is from up and front and center this room is.

L101 or L102 can only be better because they're more centered. And there was no noise from the Sanctuary and no problems with ship movement. It was smooth sailing for my son who suffers from motion sickness. Not one motion sickness pill the entire cruise.

We're booked in L101 for the October re-po cruise N.Y. to Ft. Laud 10 days. We're looking forward to the big balcony and our first Royal cruise.

We stayed in L102 on the Royal and the door was never locked. We had an ocean that looked like glass the entire cruise which was Nov 2013. Enormous balcony!

Thanks for the photos! Can't wait til October and L101!

• 1 month later...

Thinking about booking a cruise on the Regal where these two cabins are open. It would be bit of a last minute type thing.

I would be a complete newbie to Princess, so I feel like a fish out of water (no pun intended lol) when it comes to choosing large balconies on this line. Add in that these are newer ships; and I'm lost!

Thankfully found this thread and I saw someone posted pictures of the interior of L106. I noticed though, that the TV is actually on the wall next to the head of the bed. Are there two TV's in this mini suite? Or does that one lever out somehow?

Sometimes, it's nice to watch TV in bed. I do it routinely from home; falling asleep that way quite often. I'm hoping I'd be able to do the same in this cabin?

Thanks everyone!

It's possible but I could have sworn I saw something somewhere (maybe on another forum) about the middle forward balcony doors. If I'm able to find it, I'll let everyone know. :)

I have read that on Caribbean itineraries on the Royal that the balcony doors were open the entire week even while at sea. I haven't read anything about Europe or Trans Atlantic itineraries.

We upgraded from a BZ balcony to L104 (BZ) on the Royal this week. We decided even if we couldn't go outside because of wind, we would still have a wonderful view looking out of the balcony door.

Our first cruise was on the old Golden Princess which had a wonderful observation lounge at the front of the ship. We love HAL because of the Crows Nest. Now we will have our own little nest.

We are doing a 20 day Caribbean itinerary. Being able to be on the balcony coming in and out of port is beyond fabulous. We only have 6 sea days out of 20.

Thanks to all of you that have cruised in these balconies and posted info!!!

Cheers, Denise

It's possible but I could have sworn I saw something somewhere (maybe on another forum) about the middle forward balcony doors. If I'm able to find it, I'll let everyone know. :)

We are booked in M107 and I have been researching whether the couch is a sofa bed, but while I was searching I did fine this mention of being able to see over the railing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1977490

Edited by candide333

• 4 months later...

We're considering moving into L106 from our aft balcony room when we sail in March. Have a question about the layout of this room or the layout of these cabins in general. Where are the closets? In looking at the pics in this thread, it looks like the closets are along the wall as you enter as opposed to being outside the bath area. Just trying to get a feel for how the layout differs.

Also, did anyone who's sailed in these cabins ask the cabin steward to take out he small blue chair? To be honest, I don't think we'd use it much since, so for us it would just be taking up floor space.

Thanks. Any info would be appreciated.

We upgraded from a BZ balcony to L104 (BZ) on the Royal this week. We decided even if we couldn't go outside because of wind, we would still have a wonderful view looking out of the balcony door.

Our first cruise was on the old Golden Princess which had a wonderful observation lounge at the front of the ship. We love HAL because of the Crows Nest. Now we will have our own little nest.

We are doing a 20 day Caribbean itinerary. Being able to be on the balcony coming in and out of port is beyond fabulous. We only have 6 sea days out of 20.

Thanks to all of you that have cruised in these balconies and posted info!!!

Cheers, Denise

We began in L103 on the Royal doing a 7 day Caribbean in April 2014.

You will be out at that railing every time you leave or enter a port and your reward will be great. We were the last ship into St Thomas and I watched Capt. Tony Draper "parallel park" the Royal ! Amazing !

There was only 1 day where I felt it was too windy to sit and read my book. The balcony is never locked, you have complete access at all times. I spent so much time out on my balcony that I missed a lot of what was going on during the day on the Royal. The quiet peace and spectacular view was very, very difficult to tear myself away from.

There is no downside to booking L101, 102, 103, 104, 105, and 106. We were originally in L103 but got moved into L105 when we had a room "malfunction".

The balcony is HUGE and the location on Lido is ideal. Obviously L103 or 104 will be smaller than the mini suites L105 and 106, but they are sufficiently spacious that we travelled with my 6'4" teenager and my 6'3" husband and 103 never seemed "crowded". L105 was simply palatial and the layout was quite different.

These "obstructed balconies" are the best balconies on the ship. I would recommend them enthusiastically, and without reservation.

We're considering moving into L106 from our aft balcony room when we sail in March. Have a question about the layout of this room or the layout of these cabins in general. Where are the closets? In looking at the pics in this thread, it looks like the closets are along the wall as you enter as opposed to being outside the bath area. Just trying to get a feel for how the layout differs.

Also, did anyone who's sailed in these cabins ask the cabin steward to take out he small blue chair? To be honest, I don't think we'd use it much since, so for us it would just be taking up floor space.

Thanks. Any info would be appreciated.

I sailed on the Royal in April 2014.

We started in L103 but were moved to L105 because of a water accident in our cabin. L105 is a mini suite like yours. The closets are on the wall opposite the bed as you walk in. They are huge and there is so much other space in the nightstand drawers and even the desk. With the 3 of us, there was plenty of room for ALL our stuff.

The bathroom is very big, has a WONDERFUL tub and is nowhere near the closets. It was on the side of the room opposite the balcony doors.

The desk chair was not an issue for us since the room was so big and the layout so clever. If you really needed it gone, I would place it in the back corner of the balcony. That balcony is so big that you could hold a dance on it. And frankly, the room is too. Check the sq. footage in that room. It is so much bigger than you are imagining.

Please read my reply to a previous poster about her L104 and the forward balconies.

If you move to L106, you are most definitely moving UP. There is no better cabin than the the forward obstructed mini suites. None. I can't even think of one thing that wasn't perfect about it, not one thing that needed changing. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I am quite serious.

I sailed on the Royal in April 2014.

We started in L103 but were moved to L105 because of a water accident in our cabin. L105 is a mini suite like yours. The closets are on the wall opposite the bed as you walk in. They are huge and there is so much other space in the nightstand drawers and even the desk. With the 3 of us, there was plenty of room for ALL our stuff.

The bathroom is very big, has a WONDERFUL tub and is nowhere near the closets. It was on the side of the room opposite the balcony doors.

The desk chair was not an issue for us since the room was so big and the layout so clever. If you really needed it gone, I would place it in the back corner of the balcony. That balcony is so big that you could hold a dance on it. And frankly, the room is too. Check the sq. footage in that room. It is so much bigger than you are imagining.

Please read my reply to a previous poster about her L104 and the forward balconies.

If you move to L106, you are most definitely moving UP. There is no better cabin than the the forward obstructed mini suites. None. I can't even think of one thing that wasn't perfect about it, not one thing that needed changing. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating, but I am quite serious.

Thank you so much for the info! I'm so excited about getting this for our first suite. Just made final payment today.

I am so happy for both of you. I spent a lot of time yesterday thinking about our cruise and I really only had one regret, that I didn't slather on sunscreen before we left for Princess Cays.

L103 had flooded when we were at breakfast and in the craziness of throwing personal items in suitcases, and stewards carrying armloads of clothes out of the closets and my husband checking out the iPad and books that got soaked in a briefcase in the bottom of the closet - I forgot about me. even while putting sunscreen on DH &DS, and I paid a terrible price.

I had wanted to stay onboard and go back to the Enclave and use the 7 day pass I'd purchased to the steam rooms, saunas and thalassotherapy pool. I had been there the first night and it was so wonderful. I would not be able to use the Enclave again until our last night. I would not be able to swim laps in the Retreat pool either.

Thank God for that wonderful balcony, and the shelter from the sun provided by Royal herself, as I sat in the shadow cast by her top decks. It saved my cruise. And it will make yours wonderful and memorable too!

I love the Royal Princess. I once referred to her in a post as the sparkling jewel in the Princess crown. Not hyperbole or excessive in any way, she really is lovely.

If you don't mind, I'd like to share some "tips". Get a cafe card and use it in Horizon Court at the coffee shop in the Patisserie. Use it in the International Cafe for ice cream - forget the sundaes, they "junk" up what is already delicious. And use it often, because there are at least a dozen ice cream flavors and decaf mochas are just as delish as regular ones.

If the guy who juggles swords is on board, make sure to go see him ! David Katz the magician too.

They do a "Family Feud" thing too in Princess live and it was a hoot. The entire audience participates from their seats by writing on paper provided by the "hosts", who were hysterically funny.

I hope you both have fair weather and smooth sailing on your cruises. Make memories. ; )

We are booked into L108 on the port side corner cabin. I am very excited about the cabin and the balcony and hope to be able to use it quite a bit. We always have sailed in minis, but the last short cruise we took was in a full suite on the Golden. I am told that this mini is more roomy than the other cabins so we won't miss the size of the suite so much.

I've not been prone to sea sickness and hope the movement at the bow doesn't change that,

We are booked into L108 on the port side corner cabin. I am very excited about the cabin and the balcony and hope to be able to use it quite a bit. We always have sailed in minis, but the last short cruise we took was in a full suite on the Golden. I am told that this mini is more roomy than the other cabins so we won't miss the size of the suite so much.

I've not been prone to sea sickness and hope the movement at the bow doesn't change that,

I was in L108 for 26 days back in April 2014. It's a great cabin (and I snagged it when it still was priced as the lowest category mini-suite). Very roomy, very private. Huge balcony. Only issue I had was wind and noise/droning/vibration from the wind. However, I was on a transatlantic/Scandinavia/Russia cruise and that ship was going full speed with incredible wind. If you're in the Caribbean, you should be at the speed, etc. we were and should have that problem. It's pretty windy up there so cross your fingers for calm weather or that balcony is pretty much unusable while at sea. Again, great cabin, lots of storage, very private and quiet (except for the wind). Have a ball!!

(p.s. - there is movement in the front, especially if it's windy and experiencing rough seas. I had to take some meds (I normally don't). May not be an issue in the Caribbean. Be prepared, though)

Edited by CI66774

We sailed the Caribbean in April in L103/105 and had nice weather with not much wind. I brought Bonine for my son, who has to take it before getting on a plane and who has experienced sea sickness before. He never used it onboard. I didn't notice movement either. I know I was deeply concerned about excessive movement at the bow but it never happened.

Because of the massive sunburn I got at Princess Cays, I was in our cabin for several days, and I wasn't feeling too good from the sunburn so I'm pretty sure I would have noticed excessive ship movement. I'm not really sure if at certain times of the year the Caribbean gets rough. That could make a big difference, but in April, it wasn't a problem at all.