Royal Princess Forward Lido Obstructed Balcony

bigenna

Thanks for the update. We board the Royal on Sunday. Cannot wait to cruise in the forward facing cabins!!!!!

Cheers, Denise

Please post when you return. We are in M107 at the end of April on a Transatlantic and would appreciate your comments. We are looking forward to the huge balcony.

Please post when you return. We are in M107 at the end of April on a Transatlantic and would appreciate your comments. We are looking forward to the huge balcony.

I was in L108 (other side and up one deck) last year on the transatlantic over to the Baltics. LOVED the cabin. However, if your voyage is anything like my voyage, it's almost impossible to use the balcony while at sea. It was sooooo windy that, some days, I couldn't even get the balcony door open because of the wind, or if I did, the wind almost knocked me over. A couple times, the furniture would scape and move around because of the wind. Just be prepared that you may not get to take advantage of the balcony at sea. While in port and coming into the ports - it's great and the vantage point is the best. Have a good trip.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were on a Royal cruise and had this cabin. The balcony held 14 cruise critic members on it during a cabin crawl event and we could have had 4 more! It is obstructed but only by the steel plate instead of plexiglass. You have 180 degree vision from the rail when you stand up. Looks like you see the same thing the Captain sees. BTW, that's a picture of me sitting on the deck just before sailaway.

L101_balcony.jpg

Myrna

Edited by Palmist

I just booked L102 for a 10-day Caribe cruise in Feb! Can't wait! We had another awesome cabin for our Canada cruise last fall but it was booked.

We may be in this cabin right before you! I saw the YouTube video of L101 which is the mirror image of L102 and grabbed L102 when I saw it was available on our cruise. Cannot wait either!

We were in L102 on the Regal last year for a TA and just loved it. There was only one day that we didn't go out on the balcony because it was too windy. We are booked on L101 on the Royal for an Oct 2016 TA - they are a great value and no one locks the doors - despite whatever is written. You just go by your good sense if it is too windy.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in L102 on the Regal last year for a TA and just loved it. There was only one day that we didn't go out on the balcony because it was too windy. We are booked on L101 on the Royal for an Oct 2016 TA - they are a great value and no one locks the doors - despite whatever is written. You just go by your good sense if it is too windy.

Hey there! We just booked L101 on the Regal next fall, and the Princess rep assured me that the only time you can access the balcony is when the ship is in port, not when under way. Is that true? Say it isn't so!! :eek:

Thanks in advance! :)

We were on a Royal cruise and had this cabin. The balcony held 14 cruise critic members on it during a cabin crawl event and we could have had 4 more! It is obstructed but only by the steel plate instead of plexiglass. You have 180 degree vision from the rail when you stand up. Looks like you see the same thing the Captain sees. BTW, that's a picture of me sitting on the deck just before sailaway.

L101_balcony.jpg

Myrna

Great pic!! Were you able to use your balcony while at sea? We booked L101 on the Regal for next fall and were told by Princess that the balcony is only accessible when in port.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Great pic!! Were you able to use your balcony while at sea? We booked L101 on the Regal for next fall and were told by Princess that the balcony is only accessible when in port.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

On the Royal, we could use the balcony when the ship was at sea. The only restrictions are posted on the balcony door:

l101_door.jpg

On our 10 night cruise last March there was only one day that the wind made the balcony unusable. It depends on the direction of the wind and how fast the ship is moving. The metal rail in front deflected wind above the table and chairs.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

We are considering booking one of these rooms and was curious if anyone could post any pictures of the insides. From what I gather from everyone's posts is that it could periodically be too windy to use the balcony and there could also be a chance of more movement because it is the front of the ship. Other than that it sounds like these are great rooms! I do love laying out/reading on the balcony but I suppose there is also the pool if the balcony is too windy!

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi,

We are considering booking one of these rooms and was curious if anyone could post any pictures of the insides. From what I gather from everyone's posts is that it could periodically be too windy to use the balcony and there could also be a chance of more movement because it is the front of the ship. Other than that it sounds like these are great rooms! I do love laying out/reading on the balcony but I suppose there is also the pool if the balcony is too windy!

Thanks,

Kathy

Great for coming into port. :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry for bringing back such an old post but I had questions about these rooms.

We just booked a cruise on the Regal Princess in L108, which I understand is mostly identical to the Royal Princess.

What exactly is obstructed? The pictures I've seen all look great. Is it just because the bridge is below and you can't look straight down? I don't mind that at all... obstructed to me always meant a big lifeboat in the window or something like that.

Also, I read some replies where people say the balconies are unlocked... what does that mean? Do other people have access to our balcony somehow? That seems kinda creepy.

We did an Alaskan cruise with celebrity recently and got the cruise bug, now we are planning to do a new england / canada fall folliage cruise in October on the Regal Princess. Is it going to be super cold and we won't want to be on the balcony anyway?

Royal L101: we stayed there 2x and loved it. The door was never locked. even though there is a sign posted on the door we were told it did not have to be locked. We chaired a Cabin Crawl with CC at our Meet and Greet and had 14 people standing on our balcony. You can see plenty of the ocean when standing. The metal railing took 5 minutes to get used to, then we forgot about it. 2 lounge chairs, 2 sit up straight chairs, a foot stool, large table and small one out there too.

Sorry for bringing back such an old post but I had questions about these rooms.

We just booked a cruise on the Regal Princess in L108, which I understand is mostly identical to the Royal Princess.

What exactly is obstructed? The pictures I've seen all look great. Is it just because the bridge is below and you can't look straight down? I don't mind that at all... obstructed to me always meant a big lifeboat in the window or something like that.

Also, I read some replies where people say the balconies are unlocked... what does that mean? Do other people have access to our balcony somehow? That seems kinda creepy.

We did an Alaskan cruise with celebrity recently and got the cruise bug, now we are planning to do a new england / canada fall folliage cruise in October on the Regal Princess. Is it going to be super cold and we won't want to be on the balcony anyway?

The obstruction is that the balcony does not have the usual blue plexiglass under the railing.The structure of the ship is the balcony railing.The balcony is only able to be locked by you when you are not using it and nobody else has access.You will look down on M108 which has the largest balcony I have ever had,on any ship.

Oh ok, yeah we don't care about not having a glass railing, we're going to be looking over it not through it. We had a room on the back of the ship last time and that was pretty nice, but I like the idea of the front so you can see what's coming instead of what's going. The corner balconies on the deck below look huge though! I think the Lido will be more than big enough and we also won't have to worry about people being noisy above us, that happened last time too a few times. Wasn't a big deal though. I also like that it's the same floor as the buffet and other restaurants. I don't think we'll be caring about the pool in october in canada though. We aren't fancy types so we plan to try other places when the main dining room is doing formal night so it will be nice to have options close by.

Oh ok, yeah we don't care about not having a glass railing, we're going to be looking over it not through it. We had a room on the back of the ship last time and that was pretty nice, but I like the idea of the front so you can see what's coming instead of what's going. The corner balconies on the deck below look huge though! I think the Lido will be more than big enough and we also won't have to worry about people being noisy above us, that happened last time too a few times. Wasn't a big deal though. I also like that it's the same floor as the buffet and other restaurants. I don't think we'll be caring about the pool in october in canada though. We aren't fancy types so we plan to try other places when the main dining room is doing formal night so it will be nice to have options close by.

The issue is sitting down and not seeing anything forward.

Some care some don't. We care. :)

The issue is sitting down and not seeing anything forward.

Some care some don't. We care. :)

We were in L102 and I could see sitting down. I'm short too. ;p I thought the solid steel would make me crazy but it didn't at all. We spent 20 days enjoying that BIG balcony!

Cheers, Denise

We were in L102 and I could see sitting down. I'm short too. ;p I thought the solid steel would make me crazy but it didn't at all. We spent 20 days enjoying that BIG balcony!

Cheers, Denise

We never could. At least not enough to see close to the bow/water and what was ahead without standing up. Saw plenty of sky.

They are big though.

We never could. At least not enough to see close to the bow/water and what was ahead without standing up. Saw plenty of sky.

They are big though.

Hi Keith, well I guess I couldn't see the water but I could always see the ports. Truth be told while we liked seeing us come into port, the view from the Horizon Terrace aft was much better leaving port. :eek:

Cheers, Denise

We were in L107 for a 10 day cruise last October and LOVED it! Although of the 10 days we had about 7 days of rain so really couldn't use the balcony much. And yes, that' is what is obstructed on that balcony, where there is normally plexiglass it is metal. Didn't bother us at all. Sliding door was never locked unless we locked it. The slider is on the side of the ship rather than the front so that helps too. But, it is definitely windy. The room is huge and the balcony is huge. We have booked M108 for next year but are hoping one of the corner rooms on the Lido deck become available so we can switch. Enjoy!

Kathy

• 7 months later...

Wondering how your trip went in this stateroom on the TA. We have booked L107 for next year's April TA. Thanks for any help you can provide, mostly want to know how windy it was on the TA portion.