A (mostly) Carnival Cruiser Tries Princess - a b2b on Golden Princess

Sargent_Schultz

I was also on the Oct 28th Golden Princess cruise. This is my second time cruising as elite and first time embarking at San Pedro. Embarkation as platinum with any priority was hit or miss depending on if I found the right area or not. For this cruise I arrived at about 12:30 PM (later than I had hoped, but that's another story) But it turns out 12:30 was a great time to arrive. I turned my suitcase over to a porter just steps from the shuttle that dropped me off. Then walked up to the entrance for check-in with the line-up of people very long outside the building. I asked at the door where the priority check-in was and they showed me which direction and allowed me to enter. The check-in area was mostly not being fully used yet it appeared. There were no long winding lines of people, possibly allowing priority check-in to commence before the crowds were let in. Yes, it appeared it was all set up by deck. A Princess person asked me what deck I am on and they showed me to the area to check in for my deck. I walked pretty much right up and checked in. I kept my passport and black cruise card visible and Princess people along the way ushered me straight to boarding. NO WAIT! I did see people sitting in another area probably waiting for boarding group numbers to be called. This had to be the best scenario I could ever imagine for checking in.:)

Please keep it coming! Reading your comparison from the other side- a Princess cruiser about to embark on her first Carnival cruise. It's really helping to form my expectations.

Enjoying it a lot! Your website has been super helpful as well! Thanks Sarge.

Please keep it coming! Reading your comparison from the other side- a Princess cruiser about to embark on her first Carnival cruise. It's really helping to form my expectations.

Enjoying it a lot! Your website has been super helpful as well! Thanks Sarge.

You're welcome and thank you!

Depending on the Carnival ship, I imagine Princess cruisers might think the ships are gaudy (some are, or one might sat whimsical), but that is only skin deep.

The ports are the same. Watching the sea go by is the same.

At the end of the day, it is the crew who are largely responsible for my cruise experience and I think both lines have exceptional staff.

Before I forget, if you have 100 shares of Carnival stock, the shareholders OBC is available for both cruise lines.

Originally I emailed documentation into Princess based on an email address I found on this site, A few days later, I called up Princess to ask about it and the first person I talked with said they no longer monitor the email address and to fax the information in.

Since by that point the first cruise was only a few days away, they said to call back after I had faxed and they would take care of it then.

When I called back, got a second person on the phone who seemed unaware that email was no monitored, so who knows. Anyway she quickly located my fax (have the time to sent and the fax number you sent from handy) and applied the credit while I was on the phone. Hard to top that kind of service.

With Carnival, I can still email in and within a few days see the credit show up on my documents. Which reminds me - I have another Carnival cruise coming up in a week - need to send that in pronto.

Are the exposed balconies those on Caribe deck? The balconies that are half exposed, half covered? Hoping someone can answer. I have a Caribe balcony on the Crown. I see two levels of balconies. Are these on the Caribe and Dolphin decks? And which is which?

The lowest visible deck is Dolphin , the one above it is Caribe.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Are the exposed balconies those on Caribe deck? The balconies that are half exposed, half covered? Hoping someone can answer. I have a Caribe balcony on the Crown. I see two levels of balconies. Are these on the Caribe and Dolphin decks? And which is which?

That would be my guess.

The lower level of exposed balconies are mini-suites.