A (mostly) Carnival Cruiser Tries Princess - a b2b on Golden Princess

Sargent_Schultz

Thanks so much for all this information and wonderful photos. I would have to rate your entire post as one of the best I have had the pleasure to read/view. My favourite photo is the "terrace pool " shot looking out the back while underway=awesome ! Now I have to go look at your site and feast my eyes !

Thanks so much for all this information and wonderful photos. I would have to rate your entire post as one of the best I have had the pleasure to read/view. My favourite photo is the "terrace pool " shot looking out the back while underway=awesome ! Now I have to go look at your site and feast my eyes !

You're welcome and thank you!

They are probably trying to get rid of the stock of Alaskan Amber they had from the Alaska season.

That would be my guess, too. They mentioned upcoming cruises including South America, Hawaii, and Alaska again.

I overheard several people talking about halibut, so I suspect they had some of that left over, too, for those who knew to ask for it. I was tempted but chose to try the regular menus.

Okay, some of the differences I noticed -

I think the beef in the MDR is better on Princess.

I thought the showers on Princess were small. The showerhead was good, but was fixed to the wall. Hand held was not an option. Given the size of the shower, probably a good thing.

The bathrobe in the cabin (inside) was of the waffle weave variety. The standard robe on Carnival is better. One the first cruise the One Size robe would fit most people. On the 2nd cruise, the robe, even though the labels say One Size, was too small to fit most people. The cabin steward did find me a larger robe in the more luxurious style, about the same as Carnival.

I thought the cabin temperature was more consistent throughout the cruise than on Carnival.

No dancing waiters or singing maitre d's, but there was music playing in the MDR.

Bought a coke while the ship was in port in San Diego and was charged tax in addition to the standard 15% gratuity.

Ship models in the gift shop cost less on Princess, but the models are also smaller.

There were noticeably fewer announcements over the PA system on Princess - a really good thing.

Even on Princess, there are door slammers.

Alcohol Drink prices on Princess are less. Sodas were the same.

Drink service in the MDR is different on Princess. No waiting for a bar server to make the rounds. Your waiter and/or assistant waiter takes the drink orders. The down side is it seems like every night they are asking if you want to purchase some fancy water or cocktails. Or after dinner coffee drink.

No charger plates in the MDR.

I'll probably remember some more.

Liked your review. We have similar observations about Carnival and Princess. Been on over 20 Carnival cruises and 2 (soon to be 3) Golden Princess cruises.

The major differences I noticed between the 2 lines had to do with food. Overall, I thought the food was better on Princess than Carnival. But at the buffet, the salad bar is much larger on Carnival. I like hot chocolate at night, but Princess doesn't offer this. I also like the self serve ice cream (open 24 hrs) on Carnival.

Carnival also charges local tax when buying soda in port.

I agree with the showers being small on Princess.

I was happy there were no dancing waiters, but missed my towel animal on my bed at turndown.

Liked your review. We have similar observations about Carnival and Princess. Been on over 20 Carnival cruises and 2 (soon to be 3) Golden Princess cruises.

The major differences I noticed between the 2 lines had to do with food. Overall, I thought the food was better on Princess than Carnival. But at the buffet, the salad bar is much larger on Carnival. I like hot chocolate at night, but Princess doesn't offer this. I also like the self serve ice cream (open 24 hrs) on Carnival.

Carnival also charges local tax when buying soda in port.

I agree with the showers being small on Princess.

I was happy there were no dancing waiters, but missed my towel animal on my bed at turndown.

Overall I think the food in the MDR at dinner is better.

I don't normally do buffets except maybe for breakfast, but think the layover overall is better on Carnival.

I think the pizza on Carnival is superior and Princess doesn't have anything like Guy's burgers or Blue Iguana. Pizza on Carnival is available 24 hours.

Princess room service doesn't have BLTs - love to get one for breakfast, but do offer a club sandwich - more on that later. Princess room service does have some hot options like a hamburger.

Princess does have some in room dining options that Carnival doesn't.

Like someone serving me ice cream at Sundaes, but they only had soft serve ice cream and not also frozen yogurt.

In the buffet, at least at breakfast, Princess had more servers getting coffee, orange juice, etc.

Think similar shore excursions on Carnival are lower priced (probably).

I like the dancing waitstaff.

Will probably remember more later.

but back to supper!

Like the breads

DSC_0135_Zyde.jpg

Loved the warm crab and artichoke dip!

DSC_0136_Zyde.jpg

Tomato soup is also served on the first night on Carnival.

DSC_0137_Zyde.jpg

I had heard so much about the fettuccine in a Parmesan basket - ordered a starter size only to find out the basket is only with the entree size. I liked the dish but the basket was the point. Oh well...

DSC_0138_Zyde.jpg

but back to supper!

I had heard so much about the fettuccine in a Parmesan basket - ordered a starter size only to find out the basket is only with the entree size. I liked the dish but the basket was the point. Oh well...

While it is true that the basket comes with the entree size, if you ask they will bring you the basket with your appetizer. Definitely yummy:D.