A (mostly) Carnival Cruiser Tries Princess - a b2b on Golden Princess

Sargent_Schultz

Enough of that nonsense, time to eat!

Donetello Dining Room

DSC_9879_Zyde.jpg

They were pretty slammed and there was a line to get in, but I made it before closing time. No private table "available" and they were trying to get everyone in, so mostly shared tables for everyone at that point.

On Princess, lunch us served in a MDR on embarkation day and sea days only. Seems to me that in the good old days, lunch was served everyday, but that could be another cruise line. Of course, on Carnival, the MDR isn't open on embarkation day and Carnival is also moving to a brunch on sea days, instead of a breakfast and lunch.

One difference apparent is the minimal place setting

DSC_9880_Zyde.jpg

On the Carnival ships that still have lunch, more than you will likely use

DSC_4326_Zyde.jpg

Even at brunch

DSC_0975_DxO.jpg

not a complaint, just an observation

[/url]

One thing that was unexpected, and somewhat annoying was at the embarkation lunch, they seemed to expect me to reuse utensils. That could well have been because of the time and also the many people still being served. I don't recall that happening again, although this was the only time I had embarkation lunch in the MDR.

On the subject of bread, there seems to be a wider variety on Princess, and better, although I still have a favorite or two on Carnival. Butter was served in individual pats, balls, whatever.

DSC_9881_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9882_Zyde.jpg

I chose the soup, salad, sandwich combo, which in my case came out salad, soup, sandwich. It was all very good, but a sandwich is approximately a sandwich.

DSC_9885_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9886_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9887_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9891_Zyde.jpg

After lunch, it was time for more exploring

There is more live music on Princess.

DSC_9894_Zyde.jpg

International Cafe (Part of Piazza) - Food was complementary but not specialty coffees

DSC_9895_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9898_Zyde.jpg

Discovered the Princess Fine Arts Gallery - didn't realize there was a connection between Wyland and the ship, but that was interesting and nice.

DSC_9896_Zyde.jpg

DSC_9897_Zyde.jpg

There was a section reserved for Priority and the rest were by deck, but when check-in first started, all were "reserved" for Priority. After the initial rush, it went back to as you described. Perhaps this is unique to the Coastal cruises?

I noticed this also this time (as opposed to April when we were last in San Pedro), and wondered if it was because of the huge numbers of priority pax on these "free" cruises.

Okay, some of the differences I noticed -

Drink service in the MDR is different on Princess. No waiting for a bar server to make the rounds. Your waiter and/or assistant waiter takes the drink orders. The down side is it seems like every night they are asking if you want to purchase some fancy water or cocktails. Or after dinner coffee drink.

No charger plates in the MDR.

I'll probably remember some more.

What is a charger plate please?

A charger is a plate that is part of the place-setting that "holds a space" for the plates that come from the kitchen. Sometimes, a charger remains on the table during apps (the app plate is placed on the charger). Sometimes it is removed when you are seated. Typically, no food ever touches the charger.

Thanks for the review, and the pictures. Have enjoyed both !!

You're welcome and thank you. :)

I noticed this also this time (as opposed to April when we were last in San Pedro), and wondered if it was because of the huge numbers of priority pax on these "free" cruises.

Maybe. It seemed well organized, so it wasn't the first time they had done it like that.

A charger is a plate that is part of the place-setting that "holds a space" for the plates that come from the kitchen. Sometimes, a charger remains on the table during apps (the app plate is placed on the charger). Sometimes it is removed when you are seated. Typically, no food ever touches the charger.

Correct. Looking back at some of my other cruises, I guess Princess never had them. No big deal and really just a waste of a plate.

On Carnival the first courses come on their plates and are placed on the charger plate. The charger plate is removed prior to the entree being served.

DSC_0056_Zyde.jpg

and looking at various cruises, it looks like they aren't on all Carnival ships.

Been two years since we were on her but less than two weeks before we are again. The ship looks great and pretty much just as I remember. Thanks for taking the time to post

I thought the ship was ll maintained. You're welcome.

Great review. Thanks so much.

I think you said that you arrived at the pier at 10:15. Would you recommend arriving at this time or later?

I don't think there would be a huge difference between 10:15 or 11. Of course, next time I'll be Platinum! :)

10:15 was probably too early, but I wasn't the first person there. If you get there that early plan on entertaining yourself for a couple of hours before boarding begins. If you arrive later there may be longer lines, but you may not have to sit for very long, if at all, waiting for the next phase.