what to use to keep door open

bambidrummer

This is You...boarding your next cruise.

RoyClipper-570.jpg

You'd like this cruise: much closer to the water.

Sleeping on deck when weather permits -in touch with Nature. Wow!

No air-conditioned cruise ships for you. You're a true Sailor!

I was on the Valor week before last and it may have been out of the norm but the balcony door actually stayed opened on it's on. I just had to push it all of the way open and it remained opened. Unsure if someone with knowledge of the doors did this or what but it was nice.

I'm hoping we'll see the same on the Liberty in May.

If the rumors are true, when the balcony door is open, the A/C shuts off automatically. Therefore, if that's true, we weren't wasting anything. Our steward knew we were doing it, and said NOTHING.

I'm pretty sure that is only on the Spirit Class.

Yes, but it condenses on the metal ceilings and then it rains in the room making everything wet, including bedding and personals.

Again, I think it depends on the time of year, you are cruising. We cruise in April and never had the "rain" or moisture in our cabin.:rolleyes:

Again, I think it depends on the time of year, you are cruising. We cruise in April and never had the "rain" or moisture in our cabin.:rolleyes:

If you want to throw all variables in, you can make it look anyway one wishes. A smoker in the next cabin? The cabin will smell like smoke.

Humidity levels low? You'll get the salty sea spray ering the cabin as its carried by the wind. Not only will the salt be in the bedding, it's corrosive to the fake metals, and even get into your electronics.

On our 4 Carnival cruises, we used bungee cords and the a/c stayed on fine.. we love hearing the sounds of the ocean waves, and then take the bungee cords off in the morning. This year, on the NCL Sun, we didn't have to use the cords as the door stayed open by itself. Talking about a great nights sleep! We slept great every night!

I'm hoping we'll see the same on the Liberty in May.

I was on the Liberty last year and had to use a bungee cord. The balcony doors didn't stay open by themselves.

I'm on the Valor in January and bring my bungee cord just in case. I don't know why everyone is getting so upset about keeping the doors open. Everyone is different and some like the heat, some dont. Some want to hear the waves, some dont. Its your room OP, so if you want the door open, go for it but bring a bungee cord just in case.

Enjoy your cruise and your balcony.

And what about the two couples in the two cabins on either side of yours

who are saying to each other...

Geez, I don't understand it,

the A/C was working just fine all day -but now it's night, it's working like crap!

Gotta complain to Carnival

(not to the inconsiderate guys in the cabin next door who have their A/C wide open to wastage..)

If you want to throw all variables in, you can make it look anyway one wishes. A smoker in the next cabin? The cabin will smell like smoke.

Humidity levels low? You'll get the salty sea spray ering the cabin as its carried by the wind. Not only will the salt be in the bedding, it's corrosive to the fake metals, and even get into your electronics.

I have read several times here that leaving the door open affects the other nearby cabins. Who knows if this is true. But your post is one of the reasons I personally feel the doors should not be left open. Anyone that has lived beachside can tell you that regardless of humidity, salt gets on everything and is very corrosive to metals. The cabin and contents are not mine and as such, I won't do something that could damage them.

I had a car that from being so exposed to the salt from living on the beach, had a hole in the muffler pipe. The salt had basically rotted through the metal.

We used the doorstop that the steward uses when he cleans the room. He/She leaves it near your cabin door/closet. Works better than the bungee cord. We propped ours open EVERY night, and it was AMAZING!!!:D No issues with humidity, just the sound of the ocean to put you to sleep. Enjoy!!!!

This is what we use we keep it open for a couple hours, then i close it when i have to make my nightly visit to the bathroom :D

Edited by hockeyluver

This is what we use we keep it open for a couple hours, then i close it when i have to make my nightly visit to the bathroom :D

Soooooooooooooooooooo jealous about your upcoming itinerary!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!! Hope you have a great cruise!!!!! :D:D

I've read in some posts that people say it messes with the AC in other rooms. Not sure where they get this info from other than what they think happens.

We had 3 balcony rooms on the Legend this January. My wife and I happened to be in the middle also happened to be the only ones that left our door open at night. Not once was a comment made that the AC was any different at night.

Don't think they have any facts in those comments other than what they think. I can speak from my experience that nothing happens in other cabins. If you are cruising in the winter it is awesome to fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean. We stayed on the 8th deck and heard it just fine. Have a great cruise!

Soooooooooooooooooooo jealous about your upcoming itinerary!!!! That looks AMAZING!!!! Hope you have a great cruise!!!!! :D:D

Thanks, been wanting to do this itinerary for a while.... it is taking forever to get here!!! :p Well we did book it over a year out lol.

Thanks, been wanting to do this itinerary for a while.... it is taking forever to get here!!! :p Well we did book it over a year out lol.

I am actually looking at Valor reviews right now for April next year. They seem so mixed. Is the ship due for a dry dock? Still have the old style "tube" tv's, etc. LOVE the itinerary, but after coming off the Breeze, I am afraid we may be disappointed. Although, with THAT itinerary, not sure if that's possible.:D

Saving energy and cruising really don't go together. Kinda like cruises and being a germaphobe. The whole cruising process is the model of energy inefficiency. Lets be real.

I will say I love my door open at night......... So I leave my door open at night.. And I do the little trick to keep the ac on with the door open( my room steward showed me the trick) .. I imagine I will hear about this from green peace.

I will say I love my door open at night......... So I leave my door open at night.. And I do the little trick to keep the ac on with the door open( my room steward showed me the trick) .. I imagine I will hear about this from green peace.

What's the trick?

What's the trick?

Well a wise man asked me if I could keep a secret? Of Course I said yes. He replied so can I and walked away. LOL Just search the internet there are a few tricks that they say work. The magnet works sometimes but not always it depends on the ship.

Imagine: It's hot in your cabin. You have to go down the hall knocking on every door to find the culprits who have their balcony door propped open and depriving your space of the A/C.

:D I'm sorry, but the idea of someone actually believing that keeping a balcony door open will effect other rooms is very humorous (it would be very noisy too). :D

Well a wise man asked me if I could keep a secret? Of Course I said yes. He replied so can I and walked away. LOL Just search the internet there are a few tricks that they say work. The magnet works sometimes but not always it depends on the ship.

It figures, swig.

WHY book an air-conditioned Carnival ship

if what you really want is a schooner-type cruise

..low down to the sound of the ocean waves

with lots of lovely sticky humidity and salt spray?

You need to be booked on THIS --not Carnival!

RClipper-562.jpg

Really??????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk