Kids Sail Free AFTER Final Payment

jbtyler927

We made our final payment for the Norwegian Epic in January last week. Now they are offering "Kids Sail Free". This is the 1st time in 15+ cruises that I have used a travel agent (not sure if that is working against me now because I have to go through them and they call Norwegian), but they will not adjust our cost at all. I have seen on here a lot of talks regarding getting reductions and/or credits after final payment has been made. I am hoping some of you cruise experts can give me some advice on how to get them to at least give some compensation considering it is $500+ less if we booked now vs paying it off one week ago. :eek: As always, thanks! ;)

Same thing happened to us! We are booked on the Epic 1/11/14 and I got the mail about kids sail free. I called our agent and she sat on hold with NCL for 30 min and they wouldn't budge. She had me email the latitude group bc we have been on 4 ncls. My email back from them was they would get back to me in 4-6 wks!!!! That's crazy. I'm curious to see what other people write. Hopefully it will help

Beth

Did I miss something or is the kids sail free only apply to sailings up to the end of 2013? I also know that the kids aren't exactly free. You still pay port fees and whatnot. Maybe not the savings you think?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The promotion states it's for 2013 sailings:

Pack up the kids because right now, when you book an unforgetable Norwegian Cruise Line vacation, kids 17 and under sailing as a third or fourth guest in the stateroom are free! Choose a select 2013 Bahamas, Caribbean, Europe, or Hawaii cruise seen below.

And it is for new FIT and FS bookings.

Edited by Cubechick

The stories you read about here are from cruisers who have managed to get these considerations due to price drops close to sailing. There is a big difference between a booking promo, and a price drop. Booking promos are considerably less flexible - for instance, if you booked under a promo, but later wanted to take advantage of a lower price, you would lose whatever perks or deals went along with your original booking.

Kids-sail-free is a booking promotion and is only available on a very limited number of sailings - meaning, it's offered on the sailings they need to fill quickly. While it may have the same or similar net result for the company as far as booking dollars goes, if it is a successful promo it will result in a much larger number of guests onboard, which translates to more dollars being spent onboard. It's smart business.

Bottom line is - I would sincerely doubt Norwegian (or any other cruise line, for that matter) will offer you anything in the way of compensation.

Have you tried an upgrade vs OBC? They might be more willing to do that instead.

We were able to upgrade from an inside to a family balcony for only $200 more on the Breakaway, because the kids free dropped the prices so much, this was after final payment.

Despite the fact we were on a cruise offer with CAS, the prices were still that much cheaper.

Good luck!

The stories you read about here are from cruisers who have managed to get these considerations due to price drops close to sailing. There is a big difference between a booking promo, and a price drop. Booking promos are considerably less flexible - for instance, if you booked under a promo, but later wanted to take advantage of a lower price, you would lose whatever perks or deals went along with your original booking.

Kids-sail-free is a booking promotion and is only available on a very limited number of sailings - meaning, it's offered on the sailings they need to fill quickly. While it may have the same or similar net result for the company as far as booking dollars goes, if it is a successful promo it will result in a much larger number of guests onboard, which translates to more dollars being spent onboard. It's smart business.

Bottom line is - I would sincerely doubt Norwegian (or any other cruise line, for that matter) will offer you anything in the way of compensation.

That's exactly it.

It has been extended to some Jan 2014 sailings, mine included... Yes I know it is not exactly free, but it is still a $500+ savings.

Wow! I'm in the same purdicament then for our Jan 4th epic sailing. DW is a TA. I will have her call tomorrow and see if she gets anywhere. She doesn't seem too hopeful though.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Have you tried an upgrade vs OBC? They might be more willing to do that instead.

We were able to upgrade from an inside to a family balcony for only $200 more on the Breakaway, because the kids free dropped the prices so much, this was after final payment.

Despite the fact we were on a cruise offer with CAS, the prices were still that much cheaper.

Good luck!

Exactly what I was looking for in this post, thanks :D I will call in the morning since they are closed and see if they will let us upgrade instead!

Not really interested in why Norwegian can't help or why promos are different than price decreases, just asked for REAL LIFE stories/ideas on what might work! Glad to see some of you are so loyal though :rolleyes: I love NCL too!

Exactly what I was looking for in this post, thanks :D I will call in the morning since they are closed and see if they will let us upgrade instead!

Not really interested in why Norwegian can't help or why promos are different than price decreases, just asked for REAL LIFE stories/ideas on what might work! Glad to see some of you are so loyal though :rolleyes: I love NCL too!

Your best chance is to ask to be upgraded if anything is (or becomes) available. Little to no chance of a refund after final payments for these type of promos.

Not a matter of loyalty. You hadn't indicated a willingness to upgrade, so it wasn't addressed. You can (nearly) always upgrade after final.

We made our final payment for the Norwegian Epic in January last week. Now they are offering "Kids Sail Free". This is the 1st time in 15+ cruises that I have used a travel agent...

You picked the wrong travel agent. The Kids Sail Free promo has been in effect since 10/28.

Your TA really should have caught it before final payment last week.

Doesn't help...sorry...but it could have been.

I used to think responses to posts like these that would say something along the lines of "if the price increased, would you send NCL the difference..." I used to think those responses were kind of snarky. But the more and more I read these "entitled" posts where the concept of a contract is right out the window with some folks, the more I reconsider my position. I don't think the consumer shouldn't try to get the best deal possible but I do think a consumer should work within the structure of their contract, and more importantly, not pout about it when it doest work out their way. If it's a fair price when you book then its fair when your make final payment.

The passive-agressive smirky little comment about "loyalty" isn't really due, either.

LMB has it right. Your deal is your deal.

After final payment you are locked in. Anything you may receive is a gift. You are NOT entitled to anything.

Same thing happened to us! We are booked on the Epic 1/11/14 and I got the mail about kids sail free. I called our agent and she sat on hold with NCL for 30 min and they wouldn't budge. She had me email the latitude group bc we have been on 4 ncls. My email back from them was they would get back to me in 4-6 wks!!!! That's crazy. I'm curious to see what other people write. Hopefully it will help

Beth

In that regard alone, NCL should be ASHAMED of themselves... PERIOD.

They lost our booking we made on the Epic (for early next year), in part due to the same reported time-frame that their reply would take. After TWO MONTHS with no reply I went ahead and cancelled (booked the Reflection for January instead;)).

PATHETIC ! :mad:

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Sometimes as the posts come in the brainstorming begins. I think that this is what happened in your case. Asking for real life stories on something that happens very rarely and expecting answers from those people only is asking a lot IMHO. The advice that you are happiest with and acting upon did not come from a poster with "REAL LIFE" experience with this EXACT issue either. Perhaps the info that the other posters made regarding the difference between promos and price differences has helped another cc member. If you think about it, your question may have just saved others some time, frustration and even money because of the answers you received. :)

Edited by Karysa

In that regard alone, NCL should be ASHAMED of themselves... PERIOD.

They lost our booking we made on the Epic (for early next year), in part due to the same reported time-frame that their reply would take. After TWO MONTHS with no reply I went ahead and cancelled (booked the Reflection for January instead;)).

PATHETIC ! :mad:

Tom

To the OP:

Having you email the Latitudes Desk was probably not the right place to go. Almost all communications to that desk are regarding points, missing cruises etc. The standard response is 6 weeks or so and I think is sent as an auto reply. Your TA should be handling this, they should have clout and contacts within the cruise line and are being paid to handle your problem. I'm guessing the TA sent you to the Latitudes desk because they know you can't contact NCL yourself and this will stall things and get them off the hook. Tell your TA to get with it and make contact regarding upgrades of any sort that might get you into the new promotion.

It's not particularly snarky to point out the downside of dealing with a TA, many folks love to come on the boards and rave about the OBC's and other perks their TA's give them. But when the downside of dealing with a TA comes up, not so much! Hope it works out for you and your family.

Edited by rvsullivan