Remembrance Day

puppycanducruise

This famous poem was read by Statendam's Captain this morning at our Veteran's Day remembrance ceremony, while the ship was at sea; It was written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, from Guelph, Ontario, Canada, a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces during World War I.

Never forget those who served, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. May they rest in peace!

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

In Bass River, Nova Scotia today a wreath was also laid for all service dogs, for those who have and are serving in war torn countries.

There, is the only war memorial dedicated to service animals; dogs, horses, etc. An 11 year old boy while doing a school project started studying about service animals, and from the information he found out, he then started petitioning the Canadian government until they finally agreed to erect a memorial.

Helen

This famous poem was read by Statendam's Captain this morning at our Veteran's Day remembrance ceremony, while the ship was at sea; It was written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, from Guelph, Ontario, Canada, a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces during World War I.

Never forget those who served, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. May they rest in peace!

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Love this poem

John McCrae is on one of our new plastic currency..think it is the $20 but not sure since don't see too many of them down here.

A great Thank you to all our military men and women.

I was part of the parade at our local cenotaph today, and as always in recent years, I was extremely heartened to see the turn out of young people - teenagers - who were there to honour the veterans and those who died for our freedom. They weren't dragged there by their parents, they attended of their own free will. And they heartily applauded the vets in the parade.

In Bass River, Nova Scotia today a wreath was also laid for all service dogs, for those who have and are serving in war torn countries.

There, is the only war memorial dedicated to service animals; dogs, horses, etc. An 11 year old boy while doing a school project started studying about service animals, and from the information he found out, he then started petitioning the Canadian government until they finally agreed to erect a memorial.

Helen

I'm sorry that this will surely offend some, but that is ridiculous and insulting to those people who actually gave the ultimate sacrifice. Animals don't have any concept of altruism, rightousness and sacrifice and shouldn't be honoured on the same day as our war heroes.

Love this poem

John McCrae is on one of our new plastic currency..think it is the $20 but not sure since don't see too many of them down here.

A great Thank you to all our military men and women.

Just grabbed one of the new plastic $20s (they feel strange, but I'll have to get used to it) - anyway, there are poppies and a sketch of the monument on Vimy Ridge. A way to always remember.

Wear a poppy. Thank a vet.

I'm sorry that this will surely offend some, but that is ridiculous and insulting to those people who actually gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Absolutely NOT ridiculous and insulting. The animals not only served, they, unlike many military personnel, had no choice but to serve. Their sacrifices deserve to be remembered too, and there is plenty of respect to go around on Veterans'/Remembrance Day, to include them too.

The Bass River memorial may be the only one in Canada dedicated to service animals, but there are several in the U.S., including a war dog memorial on Guam which was built largely through the efforts of a veterinarian who treated the MWDs working on that island in WWII.

Edited by BeagleOne

Absolutely NOT ridiculous and insulting. The animals not only served, they, unlike many military personnel, had no choice but to serve. Their sacrifices deserve to be remembered too, and there is plenty of respect to go around on Veterans'/Remembrance Day, to include them too.

The Bass River memorial may be the only one in Canada dedicated to service animals, but there are several in the U.S., including a war dog memorial on Guam which was built largely through the efforts of a veterinarian who treated the MWDs working on that island in WWII.

Just ask a veteran from Afghanistan whether they consider the Military War Dogs to be their brothers in arms or not. So many are alive today thanks to the diligence and many times the ultimate sacrifice of these incredible warriors.

I remember seeing a TV show about dogs in Afghanistan, and the service men were saluting the tags and collars of the dogs that had been killed in country. The salute is the sign of ultimate respect for, and acknowledgement of one warrior to another.

Edited by chengkp75

Just ask a veteran from Afghanistan whether they consider the Military War Dogs to be their brothers in arms or not. So many are alive today thanks to the diligence and many times the ultimate sacrifice of these incredible warriors.

I remember seeing a TV show about dogs in Afghanistan, and the service men were saluting the tags and collars of the dogs that had been killed in country. The salute is the sign of ultimate respect for, and acknowledgement of one warrior to another.

Bravo Zulu!:)

This poem was written by my 11 year old nephew for a school project. I, too, am encouraged by the number of young people who show their respect and demonstrate a deep understanding of the sacrifices made by our military families, and the meaning of Remembrance Day. We have many who attend the various services around the country of their own volition. They seem to be very wise about the sacrifices that have been made. May we never forget.

Thank you to those who fought in the war,

Your family cried as you closed the door.

Thank you to those who made a change,

You shot your enemies at far and close range.

Thank you to those who flew in a jet,

I promise we will not forget.

Thank you to those who fought at sea,

Now we live in a land that is free.

Thank you to those who did not stay alive,

We cried in sorrow when the letter arrived.

Thank you to those who have memories to yield,

Now you lie in Flander's Fields.

Thank you to those who fought day and night,

We are very sad for you to go in the fight.

Thank you to those who gave their lives,

On November 11th, many still cry.

Thank you to those who said good-bye,

I know it took many of men to die.

Owen Hill

This poem was written by my 11 year old nephew for a school project. I, too, am encouraged by the number of young people who show their respect and demonstrate a deep understanding of the sacrifices made by our military families, and the meaning of Remembrance Day. We have many who attend the various services around the country of their own volition. They seem to be very wise about the sacrifices that have been made. May we never forget.

Thank you to those who fought in the war,

Your family cried as you closed the door.

Thank you to those who made a change,

You shot your enemies at far and close range.

Thank you to those who flew in a jet,

I promise we will not forget.

Thank you to those who fought at sea,

Now we live in a land that is free.

Thank you to those who did not stay alive,

We cried in sorrow when the letter arrived.

Thank you to those who have memories to yield,

Now you lie in Flander's Fields.

Thank you to those who fought day and night,

We are very sad for you to go in the fight.

Thank you to those who gave their lives,

On November 11th, many still cry.

Thank you to those who said good-bye,

I know it took many of men to die.

Owen Hill

That is so touching. I hope you shared it with your local Legion branch - there are cash prizes for poems and this is one of the best!

Thank you for your suggestion. I was unaware of the contest. I found the link to the BC Command contest and have forwarded it to them so they can decide about entering it. I also think it is very well written. I am touched by his heartfelt message and understanding of how war affects so many different people. Our kids give me hope for our future. Thanks again Startwin. I think it should be shared, too.

That is so touching. I hope you shared it with your local Legion branch - there are cash prizes for poems and this is one of the best!

Thank you for your suggestion. I was unaware of the contest. I found the link to the BC Command contest and have forwarded it to them so they can decide about entering it. I also think it is very well written. I am touched by his heartfelt message and understanding of how war affects so many different people. Our kids give me hope for our future. Thanks again Startwin. I think it should be shared, too.

Glad you followed up and did that. It deserves some recognition.