Portable Clothing Steamers

iconoclast

I'm aware that if you try to bring an iron on board, you will most likely be sent to the Naughty Room, where you have to wait in line with all the people trying to sneak on contraband. Are there any rules about portable, handheld steamers for clothing? I have one that's extremely portable (twenty bucks at Bed, Bath & Beyond) and I've been using it for a couple of months to get the wrinkles out of my suits while travelling on business. I'd like to dress for the Elegant Nights on my cruise and want to know if that particular appliance will end up flagging my luggage. I'd rather not ask my PVP because Carnival has a reputation of not being consistent in these answers.

Portable steamers are on the banned list

RESTRICTED ITEMS – SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY

• Clothing irons and steamers (all Carnival ships offer laundry facilities with irons and ironing boards. Fleet-wide valet laundry service is also available for a nominal fee.)

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88

Bring along a small spray bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release:)

That's something that lives in my suitcase, and I replace it as necessary, but I don't like to use it on dress coats. It's better for things that can be laundered, not things that need dry cleaning.

That's something that lives in my suitcase, and I replace it as necessary, but I don't like to use it on dress coats. It's better for things that can be laundered, not things that need dry cleaning.

Generally anything with a heating element in it (hair curlers and hair dryers, if not provided are the exceptions) are not allowed as they can be a fire hazard.

Try hanging your suits in the bathroom when you take a shower. Very large, non-portable steamer.

I have the same one your talking about and always stick it in my husbands shoe so far so good and always hide it in the safe when not in the room.:rolleyes:

I have the same one your talking about and always stick it in my husbands shoe so far so good and always hide it in the safe when not in the room.:rolleyes:

So far so good....fire is the greatest hazard on board ships. What's a few wrinkles compared to this?

FirePrincess.jpg

I've used it on my tux sleeve before. Just make sure you don't use an excessive amount and do it before you need to wear the article so that it dries out.

So far so good....fire is the greatest hazard on board ships. What's a few wrinkles compared to this?

FirePrincess.jpg

Wasn't that from smoking?

The cruise lines need to catch up with the times and have better electrical capacity on the ship. People aren't going to use tons more electricity but they should be able to plug in an iron in the room without the concern of fire.

Wasn't that from smoking?

The cruise lines need to catch up with the times and have better electrical capacity on the ship. People aren't going to use tons more electricity but they should be able to plug in an iron in the room without the concern of fire.

The cause of that fire is suspected to be a cigarette either left on the balcony or thrown from above and landed on the balcony. I would think the danger of an iron isn't so much the power that it pulls but the chance that someone could leave one on and the movement of the ship cause it to fall over and catch something on fire. I can see that it would be easy to forget about when in a hurry to get something ironed, put on and get to dinner or a show, etc.

The cause of that fire is suspected to be a cigarette either left on the balcony or thrown from above and landed on the balcony. I would think the danger of an iron isn't so much the power that it pulls but the chance that someone could leave one on and the movement of the ship cause it to fall over and catch something on fire. I can see that it would be easy to forget about when in a hurry to get something ironed, put on and get to dinner or a show, etc.

You are absolutely correct. It is not a concern that you are overloading the electrical circuit, but the heating element that is a fire hazard. This is why we don't allow even the small "Glade plug-in" air fresheners on our ship. The heater in the air freshener does not know whether there is oil in the bottle or not, and will continue to heat as long as it is plugged in. This has resulted in many of the plastic bottles and holders melting, and catching fire. I saw a report one time from a fire prevention industry group that these little air fresheners were the largest single cause of home fires in the US.

This is why many of the hair dryers that are provided by the lines don't have on/off switches, but switches that must be held down (dead man switches) to prevent the dryer from being left on with no one about.

You are absolutely correct. It is not a concern that you are overloading the electrical circuit, but the heating element that is a fire hazard. This is why we don't allow even the small "Glade plug-in" air fresheners on our ship. The heater in the air freshener does not know whether there is oil in the bottle or not, and will continue to heat as long as it is plugged in. This has resulted in many of the plastic bottles and holders melting, and catching fire. I saw a report one time from a fire prevention industry group that these little air fresheners were the largest single cause of home fires in the US.

This is why many of the hair dryers that are provided by the lines don't have on/off switches, but switches that must be held down (dead man switches) to prevent the dryer from being left on with no one about.

I would have to question that they are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S. Over a decade as a firefighter and I have yet to see one of the many stucture fires I was at ruled as caused by one of those air fresheners. I'm not sure where that report was getting their information. Those things should all be UL listed and have safety triggers.

I would have to question that they are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S. Over a decade as a firefighter and I have yet to see one of the many stucture fires I was at ruled as caused by one of those air fresheners. I'm not sure where that report was getting their information. Those things should all be UL listed and have safety triggers.

I don't recall the exact report, but I have seen several of these things melted (either the gel packet or the holder as well), and won't have them in my house. I believe they are UL approved, and UL has not been able to duplicate the failures, so I can't say, but its enough for me.

I've used it on my tux sleeve before. Just make sure you don't use an excessive amount and do it before you need to wear the article so that it dries out.

Someone in my roll call a few years ago used the wrinkle release on her formal dress. It seemed to work fine but in her formal night pictures there were visible spots all over her dress. I now only use it on my casual clothes if necessary.

I don't recall the exact report, but I have seen several of these things melted (either the gel packet or the holder as well), and won't have them in my house. I believe they are UL approved, and UL has not been able to duplicate the failures, so I can't say, but its enough for me.

I don't buy them either - but for a different reason. I see them as a money pit and they don't work nearly as well as they claim. My former DW loved them and we had, at any given time, between 5-6 of them around the house.

I don't buy them either - but for a different reason. I see them as a money pit and they don't work nearly as well as they claim. My former DW loved them and we had, at any given time, between 5-6 of them around the house.

I don't know if they are considered a fire hazard but I stopped using them years ago. I have a stain on my bathroom floor that I can not get out and it is from one of those warmers. The insert melted and let the stuff inside drip out. I couldn't get the insert out of the warmer because it was partially melted to it. I don't know if it was a power surge or the warmer was faulty but I don't want to take a chance on using them again.