P&O AzuraTipping

jerseybetsie

I can't see what is wrong with including the tip in the price of the cruise. some cruise lines do it and are still in business. I don't think itemising the cost in the bill is a good idea as some people will just argue about and try and get it removed even if it is mandatory.

Thomson do it a better way. The tip is buried in the fare but not itemised so no arguments about how much it is etc. You can tip in cash as well and many do as the crews are so helpful and happy. Maybe one of the reasons the crews are so happy is they have their guaranteed tips plus extras ;)

P&O might find that if they did the same it would be a marketing plus.

I can't see what is wrong with including the tip in the price of the cruise. some cruise lines do it and are still in business. I don't think itemising the cost in the bill is a good idea as some people will just argue about and try and get it removed even if it is mandatory.

Thomson do it a better way. The tip is buried in the fare but not itemised so no arguments about how much it is etc. You can tip in cash as well and many do as the crews are so helpful and happy. Maybe one of the reasons the crews are so happy is they have their guaranteed tips plus extras ;)

Yes I think that sounds a very good idea too.

Edited by Scriv

The last time we cruised in 2012, tipping was voluntary but we tipped in line with freedom dining which I think was £3.50 per day per passenger, with extra tips for waiters etc, which we shared between our cabin steward and our waiters (we were on club dining).

What I found extremely embarassing and frankly quite disgusting were the number of empty tables on the last night at dinner. We were on a table of 8 and on the last night there was only our party of 4!!

All of the people who strive to make our holidays a little bit special deserve a tip in recognisation.

As was said before, if people can afford to pay for a cruise be it in a suite or an inside cabin, they can surely factor in around £100 for this.

Molly

Im confused. P&O deal wholly in Sterling, their prices are in Sterling and tipping is in Sterling. Why would you tip in 'other currencies'? Doesnt that make it easier for the passenger but hassle for the crew member?

If you are tipping in the local currency the crew member can always spend it during their (very occasional) time ashore - so Euros in Europe and US dollars in the Caribbean are always welcome.

What I found extremely embarassing and frankly quite disgusting were the number of empty tables on the last night at dinner. We were on a table of 8 and on the last night there was only our party of 4!!

I am sure that there are many other equally valid reasons for passengers not being in the MDR on the last night of the cruise.

Some passengers may well have taken an earlier meal in the buffet because they have an early start the following morning. Some passengers may have booked an alternative dining venue.

I am sure that there are many other equally valid reasons for passengers not being in the MDR on the last night of the cruise.

Some passengers may well have taken an earlier meal in the buffet because they have an early start the following morning. Some passengers may have booked an alternative dining venue.

Indeed, now what about those who don't have that excuse?

Indeed, now what about those who don't have that excuse?

Interestingly Dave for the past six or seven of our cruises I have paid particular notice of the attendance in the MDR on the last night. There has not been any noticeable drop in bodies in the room. Now this may be because of the time of year we tend to cruise, out of the peak period. It does cover both before and after auto tips and again no difference.

I do believe that some people have avoided tipping, but I am not sure that the extent of this is as large as some people would have us believe.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So if the MDR attendance was down by 30% the theory is that a good majority of those avoided the dining room because they didn't want to tip, how does that work then as the tips are added to the bill so they were not expected to be present on the last night to give tips anyway, or do you mean they felt guilty for removing tips so didn't want to show their faces :confused:

I think those people who remove their tips don't stay away because they feel guilty, if they did they wouldn't remove them.

I would think the low attendance is more to do with other reasons, I know on our last night we had to put our cases outside before dinner, it always used to be before we went to sleep, so we were wearing our travelling clothes, jeans and cardigan, I did think twice before going to the MDR as I felt very underdressed

I don't know if freedom dining is different to seated dining as regards to tipping, but I didn't tip any extra to the MDR staff as we sat at a different table every night

The only time we have been club sitting on P&O our waiters had a table for ten, one for six and one for eight people to serve. The waiter advised that on the cruise just ended the whole of the table for ten were no show on the last night. So, 40% or so of their anticipated tip gone. He said he wouldnt have minded but they were a very difficult table with lots of individual needs.

Yes people may not visit the dining room on the last night as they are busy packing so why not just pop in and hand over your tip. There really are no acceptable excuses.

The only time we have been club sitting on P&O our waiters had a table for ten, one for six and one for eight people to serve. The waiter advised that on the cruise just ended the whole of the table for ten were no show on the last night. So, 40% or so of their anticipated tip gone. He said he wouldnt have minded but they were a very difficult table with lots of individual needs.

Yes people may not visit the dining room on the last night as they are busy packing so why not just pop in and hand over your tip. There really are no acceptable excuses.

Because it has been added to their account, or do club dining not have it added do they only pay cash :confused:

We remove auto tips on the first day when we board. We tip our steward and waiters with envelopes, certainly to the correct amount or a bit more, rounded up to a sensible figure.

I asked our steward on Oriana if he had to hand in the money we had given him. He smiled and said "no of course not". So I don't believe what someone else said earlier on this thread.

The tips are not for the general staff, they are for waiters and cabin stewards only.

I have only ever done freedom dining so was not sure if it was only those tips that get added to the bill, thanks I know the system now :)

For a while when freedom was introduced auto tips came in just for those on freedom as this was the only way to tip the waiters as you could have different ones each night.

Later auto tips came in for everyone.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For a while when freedom was introduced auto tips came in just for those on freedom as this was the only way to tip the waiters as you could have different ones each night. Later auto tips came in for everyone.

I was on Oriana last week - a more traditional ship where freedom dining is not available - and auto tips were in operation. While P&O keep them at a sensible level I don't mind at all.

I do believe the tips in envelopes are taken off them and go to the 'tip pool', this was from our cabin steward.

Also if you take off auto-tipping your name is made known to the staff, presumably so they know they have to hand back the envelopes.

Also if you take off auto-tipping your name is made known to the staff, presumably so they know they have to hand back the envelopes.

That can't be right can it? Surely the staff member could just say that particular passenger didn't leave a tip - and then pocket the cash.

Immediate dismissal if found out - so not many would risk it

Agree.

The only exception is if the passenger has left the auto tip on and given a little extra. They can keep the extra.

Gan Canny

Dai

The only exception is if the passenger has left the auto tip on and given a little extra. They can keep the extra.

Oh really? That's the bit I was hoping to hear - thanks.

We leave the auto-tip on the put extra cash in envelopes for the waiters and cabin steward. I wouldn't like to think the money we give specifically to them has to go into " the pot".

Oh really? That's the bit I was hoping to hear - thanks.

We leave the auto-tip on the put extra cash in envelopes for the waiters and cabin steward. I wouldn't like to think the money we give specifically to them has to go into " the pot".

I agree with that, if they Had to hand it in it would make me think before giving extra cash