I am 95% deaf

Teris50

I agree 100%. Someone commented that there were interpreters on a cruise they took and I just mentioned that my friend is hired (by groups) to travel with groups to interpret (cruise lines did not provide them plus my friend would go on land trips such as to Hawaii with them). I learned some ASL when hanging out with my friend but she moved and I have since lost everything except for the alphabet.

My mom became visually impaired as an adult and never learned braille. It was difficult for her to learn as an older adult and most things she needed were not provided in braille (bills, etc...).

After taking so many classes, I have not kept up real well. It helps if you keep signing as you talk. I have such a heart for this , it is to bad that school is so expensive. I don't qualify for any scholarships or anything else to keep going.

I'm back and love the comments. SWEDISHWEAVE, I can bring my own device because I live in San Luis Obispo where a wonderful company has come up with a devise that allows me to FINALLY go to any movie theatre that has digital sound devises. They will let me borrow it, but the cruise lines need to step up and install the devise to it will send the captions to the unit. And I do not qualify for a cochlear implant because I have total nerve damage..it is called....Neurofibromatosis or NF2. ( people should look it up and thank your lucky stars you do not have this) I am one of the lucky people that have it on both sides. I have had this for 13 yrs and it still amazes me the way DEAF people are treated! I have to either go to the Drs office to make an appointment, or have someone call for me because the TTY Operators are so totally incompetent that I tossed out the TTY Phone. ( could tell you a horrid story but no room for it here) I have a cell phone for texting, but that only works when the people I know text me because others do not pay attention and call me!

We need to continue to talk with the cruise lines about this problem. I have emailed accessoffice@princesscruises.com, and will continue to bug them about this until they help. I do not sign. Very hard to learn Sign after you loose your hearing because you need to read the teachers lips and watch their fingers..

Thank you every one for the kind words!

I know that the deaf do hold all kinds of events, maybe if you could attend one and get to know a person they would more than gladly teach you. We had to attend a function for one of our classes and the people were so friendly and helpful. This is a suggestion. My heart goes out to you. I hope all ships would begin to think about this issue more.

MUTS is not a necessity ---- It is nice, and can be enjoyable if the movies are something you like.

I've noticed that entering the main show lounge on most princess

ships requires climbing a short flight of stairs. In all cases, there

is a complementary ramp available for people who are unable to

negotiate the stairs.

Certainly entering the show lounge is not a necessity of life, but

it is nice that there is a ramp available.

But, this is a holiday, and princess says they are the consumate

host. If someone came to my home and wished closed captioning

on the TV in the guest bedroom, I would do everything possible

to make it happen. I would do it just to be courteous to my guest.

On Princess, lots of people ask for things that are not a necessity.

Extra pillows, matterress toppers, etc.

Princess is there to make your vacation as enjoyable as possible.

I did not say it was OK to tell me I knew nothing about the subject of this thread.

If speaking the truth is heartless or cruel, I do that. I also deal with problems in my own way. It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Well, if you do have a hearing loss, then I apologise for my comments. However, if you do have a severe hearing loss yourself, you must surely understand why your comments sound so callous and insensitive. It is not that easy to go to your doctor and demand cochlear implants, even if they are suitable (and in most cases they are not). It is not just a question of being informed on what is or is not available, there is also the question of cost - even if people can afford to cruise, they do not necessarily have the funds to obtain implants, top of the range aids and equipment to put subtitles onto MUTS etc. As I said before the vast majority of people affected by loss of hearing do the utmost they can to get aids that will help with their hearing loss.

I feel like I've just discovered a whole group of friends on Cruise Critic. Going deaf as an adult is a lonely business but I've learned to live with it by using captioning, special phones, listening systems and yes just dropping some friends because no matter how hard I try I cannot understand what they are saying.

I've spent many thousands on hearing aids, special equipment, sign languaghe classes and even had a cochlear implant inplanted in my skull and I still struggle. Having captions on MUTS, movies and TV on the ship would make a huge difference and like others have said, would cost the cruise line next to nothing since it's the producers of the movies and programs that provide the captions.

I feel like I've just discovered a whole group of friends on Cruise Critic. Going deaf as an adult is a lonely business but I've learned to live with it by using captioning, special phones, listening systems and yes just dropping some friends because no matter how hard I try I cannot understand what they are saying.

I've spent many thousands on hearing aids, special equipment, sign languaghe classes and even had a cochlear implant inplanted in my skull and I still struggle. Having captions on MUTS, movies and TV on the ship would make a huge difference and like others have said, would cost the cruise line next to nothing since it's the producers of the movies and programs that provide the captions.

I'm sorry to hear all you have gone through, and still are going through, with your hearing loss. I have a congenital hearing loss which is now exacerbated by age-related loss and severe bilateral tinnitus. It is very difficult and depressing to deal with, but I get on with life as best I can and am not averse to asking people to shout at me if I am really having problems in understanding them. My loss is compounded by my being married to a softly spoken man with absolutely more than perfect hearing (I have the television sound at 30 with my aids in whilst he can hear it at 20!). I would hate to be totally deaf and have said that, in some ways, I would prefer to be blind. As you say, deafness is very lonely and people often do not realise you are deaf and even if you tell them and ask them to speak up, they soon relapse into their normal level of speech.

surgeries have been developed to assist those who are hearing impaired

Cochlear implant surgery is in a whole different universe from tonsil or toenail removal. It is major brain surgery. If you think it simple or easy you have been misinformed.

I don't doubt your comments, but what percentage of cruisers have hearing problems so severe that they cannot be helped by implants or devices ?They certainly adjust to some of these things in their everyday lives, don't they ?

To adjust to uncaptioned films would require us to stay at home, and I repeat that caption devices are not portable to movie theaters.

Steve

I knew there were more people out there that have hearing problems, and I hope we can all join in and email ALL the cruise lines to provide better captions for us. I do not mid bringing the captions box that USL, Inc have made available to movie theatres in our area. I do not like the glasses they have developed, but the CCR100 or CCR200 are just perfect for me to go to the show. Some movie theatres will have ONE movie a day that is captioned, but these devices allow me to go to the show and see ANY movie at any time if the theatre has this system!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. A cochlear implant costs thousand of dollars. I have had 2 surgeries, one that could not save my hearing on the left side, and one that tried to on the right side, but didn't work, and these costs thousand of dollars that my insurance covered 80%! I have one aid and those cost over 3000.00 with insurance only covers part if any of that. I think I said I that the cochlear implant will not work for me. I go to the House Ear Institute and they are one of the best.

Please be kind when posting...we all have problems.

The comments on this thread indicate most want PRINCESS TO FURNISH THE EQUIPMENT AND/OR TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT THEIR DESIRE TO SEE AND HEAR MOVIES. They should take care of those wants for themselves.

The technology is available for speech to text converters plus many other developments. The phones can now convert speech and search for info.

There are many more important ways for the cruise line to allocate their resources. Think about those who have lost their health and homes in fires, storms, etc. Most mainstream cruise lines are helping these people.

The few who are demanding concessions from the cruise lines are unlikely to succeed, and will continue to be frustrated unless they approach their problems with the idea they must do something for themselves.

I see the difference between wants and needs. That difference seems to be lost in this thread.

Why would any sensible person call the NEED to communicate, to be notified when there is a ship emergency or a knock on the cabin door by alert equipment, or to understand dialogue by captions a WANT?

Edited by Hondu

None of us NEED a cruise however much we may WANT one. So I guess everyone should just send our money to a country struggling with a disaster? Princess spends millions just to make their ships look great but none of that stuff is essential. Providing captions to provide access to ship's services would cost next to nothing.

Joking aside, I promise that when I book my next cruise (hopefully next year) I will contact Access Services in advance, and talk to the Front Desk people, cruise director etc when I get on board, and make sure they understand how essential captioning is for people with serious hearing loss. I feel empowered because I know I'm not the only passenger who wants captions.

Thanks from Joan

None of us NEED a cruise however much we may WANT one. So I guess everyone should just send our money to a country struggling with a disaster? Princess spends millions just to make their ships look great but none of that stuff is essential. Providing captions to provide access to ship's services would cost next to nothing.

Joking aside, I promise that when I book my next cruise (hopefully next year) I will contact Access Services in advance, and talk to the Front Desk people, cruise director etc when I get on board, and make sure they understand how essential captioning is for people with serious hearing loss. I feel empowered because I know I'm not the only passenger who wants captions.

Thanks from Joan

Yes, a simple thing that will help a lot (not a few) people. I really don't get the controversy here at all.

Thanks from Joan

Good idea, Joan! I have perfect hearing, but I want captions too. I am going to call and ask for them. Maybe, if enough of us ask, they will listen. This is a basic accommodation that costs very little as most of their programming is probably already captioned by the company who produced and/or distributed it. It is just a matter of "turning it on".

Captioning hurts no one and could help so many people!:)

Most flat screen TV's have captions and ALL DVD's also. I also think when you travel to a resort, you should voice your concerns when their TV's do not have the captions! Been there, done that!

We do not purchase any TV unless it has captions!

AGAIN, thank you all for the kind words and if we all voice our requests, It will eventually get accomplished.

Teri Simmons

Yes, a simple thing that will help a lot (not a few) people. I really don't get the controversy here at all.

Really, only one person turned it into a controversy, and I think that person was doing it just to hear him or herself, and get reactions. We would have been better off to ignore the comments, which is why I stopped commenting several pages ago.

Another vote for closed captioning from me. I have a profound hearing loss and have had many kinds of hearing aids. My high frequency is totally dead, but one company has aids that turn high frequency to mid frequency, so they work for me somewhat. I have tried FM and all other ancillary type devices to my hearing aids and none work for me. I can never understand any movie without captioning. I have often wondered why the stateroom movies do not have captioning. I am an elite Princess cruiser and have NEVER been able to watch MUTS as I cannot hear any of it, and captioning would be wonderful.

Edited by San Diego Ellie

I have often wondered why the stateroom movies do not have captioning

We have had the executive housekeepers & electronic technicians try to explain this, & the answers are never the same and far from our understanding.

It surely is time for Princess to step up for people who need captioning.

Steve

I've talked to the Passenger Service desk many times about this. They told me cruise lines and the air lines rent or purchase "packages" of movies and reruns of TV programming. The TV shows have to be reformatted to remove the commercials. You and I know that all the movies and TV shows have captions when shown in the USA. So the cruise lines just have to request the captioned version which should not cost any extra.

All in cabin TVs have the captioning technology which is why once in a while you will see a movie with captions. We were on the Star earlier this year and the TV guide for the cabin showed which movies were captioned. I counted and it was about 5% and those were mostly children's movies.

I think the news and sports come from a satellite feed and captioning seems to depend on what part of the world you're sailing in. On the Star (in the Pacific ocean) only HLN was captioned. Of course Princess never captions any of the channels showing tours and advertising for other cruises.

It's kind of complicated but at the very least they could get the captioned versions of movies and old TV shows. Believer me, if all the cruise lines asked then the provider company would soon come up with the captions.