I am 95% deaf

Teris50

I think that Princess should step up and have better services for The Deaf community and the hearing impaired so that we are able to view what is being shown on the MUTS screen!

This will be my 3rd cruise of 10 days and longer and I find it amazing there are not more people out there fighting for this service. I mentioned this last year prior to going on the rt Golden to Hawaii in December. I am not asking for captions on the screen, but a new system has been developed where the cruise lines can provide a captioned receiver for each person to use.

Every cruise I meet more people that tell me that are hard of hearing or almost deaf, so I know you are out there. I have met people with the cochlear implants..so people, speak up.

And PLEASE no flaming, because unless you have walked in my shoes, you have no idea how hard it is to loose your hearing after 50 yrs !

Frankly, it wouldn't bother me one bit if they turned on captions during a film. I also like the way they do captions for operas and some plays on a separate screen/area above or to the side of the stage.

My husband is hard of hearing.. these would be very helpful, even for us that aren't sometimes with fast moving dialogue or accents captions are helpful. I think it can be done so that it isn't actually imbedded in the picture.

My husband is hard of hearing.. these would be very helpful, even for us that aren't sometimes with fast moving dialogue or accents captions are helpful. I think it can be done so that it isn't actually imbedded in the picture.

Personally, once I start watching a movie with captions, within minutes, I forget there are captions.

I think putting captions on MUTS would be easy to do and I don't think most would care while others would greatly benefit!

I too am deaf in my left ear.

There are some really good wireless systems that theaters, court rooms, etc. use that are not that expensive. The first time I used one was for jury duty a few years back.

I now have them on my TV's at home, it's the only way I can watch TV. The theaters here in our town have them. They will loan you a headset or you can buy a headset that can be used on several frequencies and take them with you.

Cruise lines could set these up for their big screens along with the shows for minimal cost.

I guess us hard of hearing folks should start by letting them know we would really appreciate this.

I am not deaf, however my DW insists that I have suffered from selective hearing for many years.

Even if it was a minor inconvenience, so what, if it makes the event enjoyable for everyone then make it happen. Sub-titles or any new technology that can be used to help our brothers and sisters that are hard of hearing should be made available :o)

I'm not deaf, but have a slight hearing impairment. I use cc all the time (especially at home) so I wouldn't have a problem with them. At a minimum, Princess should provide an alternative for hearing impaired customers. Don't give up! Keep pushing the issue.

I agree with you 100%. I was taking ASL courses, and thought about places where there may be interpeters needed. Now they require that you have a BA just to interpet. Not just ships , but alot of other places as well. I am not deaf, but my heart goes out to this issue.

My son, who is deaf, is Elite with Princess and has commented to me many times that he wishes all the movies were captioned. I don't expect the ships to provide interpreters for shows or functions but since most movies today are captioned, it would be easy to do this. Even the cabin TVs have few captioned films which surprises me. Perhaps if MUTS was captioned, the sound could be turned down so the passengers that dislike the loudness would be happier;););)

Nancy

I'm not deaf, but have a slight hearing impairment. I use cc all the time (especially at home) so I wouldn't have a problem with them. At a minimum, Princess should provide an alternative for hearing impaired customers. Don't give up! Keep pushing the issue.

It drives my family nuts that I too have a slight hearing impairment and need to use CC . When we were on the Golden and watching MUTS I could hear it but not clearly and had mentioned to my husband that CC should be added for those who have it even worse than I.

Many devices and surgeries have been developed to assist those who are hearing impaired. Perhaps those items would be beneficial in every aspect of life other than just the TV and movies.

Obviously you do NOT have a hearing problem or you would know that those aids do not always help.

Obviously you do NOT have a hearing problem or you would know that those aids do not always help.

What is the reason for the personal attack ????

Many hundreds of people have been helped by the surgeries and devices.

My hearing has no bearing on this. Helping people solve problems is important to me, but obviously others have different ideas.

The comments on this thread have spurred my thoughts about those cruising with limited abilities in many facets of their life. Most have dealt with their limitations and bring whatever is needed to help them enjoy their cruise (Examples -walkers-wheelchairs-seeingeye dogs-cpap machines- The list could go on and on.

Why would hearing problems not be dealt with prior to cruising and the appropriate steps be taken to have what is needed to enhance your enjoyment of the trip rather than expect the cruise line to furnish these items ?

The comments on this thread have spurred my thoughts about those cruising with limited abilities in many facets of their life. Most have dealt with their limitations and bring whatever is needed to help them enjoy their cruise (Examples -walkers-wheelchairs-seeingeye dogs-cpap machines- The list could go on and on.

Why would hearing problems not be dealt with prior to cruising and the appropriate steps be taken to have what is needed to enhance your enjoyment of the trip rather than expect the cruise line to furnish these items ?

This thread was originated by someone stating they were 95% deaf. Some people are born without hearing and without any aide that can assist them. So, with that being said, how may someone who can not hear be able to enjoy MUTS?:confused:

Surely you mean well, but some problems cannot be "dealt with" no matter what steps are taken. I have damage to the acoustic nerves on both my left and right sides, and have lost much of my hearing on one side. No surgery will solve my problem; no hearing aids will allow my hearing to improve. You have no idea what I wouldn't give to be able to restore my hearing, but I "deal" with this the only way I can - cope. Closed captioning is wonderful, and since it helps those of us with limited hearing, it is a wonderful idea.

This thread was originated by someone stating they were 95% deaf. Some people are born without hearing and without any aide that can assist them. So, with that being said, how may someone who can not hear be able to enjoy MUTS?:confused:

I don't doubt your comments, but what percentage of cruisers have hearing problems so severe that they cannot be helped by implants or devices ?

Is this problem such that the cruise lines should make changes to try to overcome ALL disabilities, or should the individuals adjust. They certainly adjust to some of these things in their everyday lives, don't they ?

Edited by swedish weave

Surely you mean well, but some problems cannot be "dealt with" no matter what steps are taken. I have damage to the acoustic nerves on both my left and right sides, and have lost much of my hearing on one side. No surgery will solve my problem; no hearing aids will allow my hearing to improve. You have no idea what I wouldn't give to be able to restore my hearing, but I "deal" with this the only way I can - cope. Closed captioning is wonderful, and since it helps those of us with limited hearing, it is a wonderful idea.

I have seen documentary shows that claim the implants can restore hearing that has been completely lost. Is that fact ?

Edited by swedish weave

I have seen documentary shows that claim the implants can restore hearing that has been completely lost. Is that fact ?

Neuro-implants or cochlear implants only address specific types of hearing loss. Also, once an individual (or their parents) decides to go that route, there are certain lifestyle changes that have to be adhered to.

Hearing aides are not for everybody. Often they create a weird vibrating in the head or amplify background noises while failing to pinpoint and amplify the targeted sound.

In reality, CC is one of the least invasive and most cost effective ways to deal with a hearing loss. I have perfect hearing, but I always use CC on my TV as it enhances the comprehension of the presented material.

On MUTS, I believe they show programming that is already on a repeatable format (film, dvd, cd, vcr). Most of those programs that are commercially produced already are captioned. It is just a matter of turning it on.

Each of us has a "something" to deal with. Hopefully, we can help one another negotiate the rough patches.:)

My daughter likes to have the CC on, even though she has pretty acute hearing. I don't find it intrusive at all, and I even think it would be helpful to have on the MUTS screen, especially when the wind is howling. As someone else mentioned, the sound can be turned down slightly which would actually be better for us all.

I worked for a while for a famous neuro-otolarygist and did some transcribing of one of his researcher's reports on cochineal devices. As some have said above, they are a miracle for some, but not every one with a loss of hearing can regain hearing with them.

I don't doubt your comments, but what percentage of cruisers have hearing problems so severe that they cannot be helped by implants or devices ?

Is this problem such that the cruise lines should make changes to try to overcome ALL disabilities, or should the individuals adjust. They certainly adjust to some of these things in their everyday lives, don't they ?

Knowledge is Power.

Like many other things, human beings tend to lose hearing naturally as they age. Due to the fact that a large percentage of passengers are older, especially on longer cruises, your percentage question is answered. Part of the problem with you and the cruise lines not knowing this is because there is still a stigma associated with hearing loss and many people bluff their way through daily activities instead of advocating for themselves.

Hearing loss varies from person to person. Meaning it can be mild, moderate, severe or profound. Some people can get by with a canal aid, In-the-ear aid, Behind the ear aid or finally a cochlear Implant which is the last resort. Oh and there are those people who should be wearing one of these devices but simply live in isolation or just bluff as I mentioned before. But you need to understand that no hearing device can restore hearing like vision wear restores sight to 20/20 or better. This last sentence is very important.

One of the reasons that closed captions were developed is so people with hearing loss could participate in the enjoyment of movies and TV programming. A person does not pack closed captioning in their luggage.

Some people complain about captions but do you ever noticed that there is a continuous 24/7 scroll of information at the bottom of the screen on news channels like CNN, FOX, MSNBC along with the financial networks and even ESPN?

We as individuals need to stop hiding our disability, speak up and thereby get the cruise lines to provide what is needed so we can enjoy the cruise experience more fully.

Edited by Hondu