I am 95% deaf

Teris50

I'm not criticizing anyone here, but ~~~I have 2 DEAF adult children. PCL goes out of their way to help us, and it costs nothing.

They provide interpreters onboard and on the tours for the entire cruise. DS and DIL had 2 interpreters. Their cabin was set up prior to the cruise for the hearing impaired and deaf. I requested all this when our TA booked the cruise.

Now as for MUTS and other areas, PCL could buy the things used in movie theaters, and provide them for the pre-registered HH and deaf onboard.

Just like the adaptive equipment in the cabins, the glasses/headsets etc can be assigned to the cabin and returned the day before the end of the cruise.

IMO, PCL does a good job trying to help us.

Pat

I think that Princess should step up and have better services for The Deaf community and the hearing impaired so that we are able to view what is being shown on the MUTS screen!
What is even more insulting -- the onboard sourced programming that princess has purchased -- Food Network, Discovery, etc. There is alsolutely no excuse for that not to be captioned in the cabins. And yet, it isn't always. I thought it was amusing last week that I got to see Paula Dean again on the Food Network, courtesy of Princess' previous purchase. Edited by pablo222

The question here is not whether or not you have hearing problems. It is who should do the necessary to overcome this problem.

I believe Princess could follow the example set by the airlines.

They don't have closed captioning. They have headsets available at a price that work for most of the passengers who want to see and hear the movies.

The cruise lines could mute the sound and eliminate the complaints from those who find the sound offensive.

They could offer wireless headsets at a price for those who want them and each individual could adjust the volume to their needs. The headsets could be turned in at the end of the cruise or be kept by those who want them.

For those who cannot benefit from the headsets, I suggest seeing your doctor to see what other items or procedures will help you. This would enhance your everyday activities --- not just on the cruise.

Call me heartless and cruel if you choose, but helping oneself is and should be top priority.

MUTS is not a necessity ---- It is nice, and can be enjoyable if the movies are something you like.

Seems everything you suggest costs more money and man power then just having CC on Muts. Which by the way is all the OP is asking about. As has been stated a few times already not everyone can see a doctor or be benefited by one. You still have not told us why this bothers you so much.

Even my nail salon has closed captioning on its television. Look, Princess (and all the lines) are providing a service. Unless it's required by law, no line HAS to do this, but the question is - SHOULD THEY? I know I'm loyal to restaurants, etc. who cater to me and my four-year old child. These restaurants give her crayons, papers, little crowns, etc. She loves it and I keep going back to these particular restaurants. It's about knowing and catering to your customer. I think it would be nice if Princess (and other lines) do this for their deaf or hearing-impaired customers.

The question here is not whether or not you have hearing problems. It is who should do the necessary to overcome this problem.

They don't have closed captioning. They have headsets available at a price that work for most of the passengers who want to see and hear the movies.

The cruise lines could mute the sound and eliminate the complaints from those who find the sound offensive.

They could offer wireless headsets at a price for those who want them and each individual could adjust the volume to their needs. The headsets could be turned in at the end of the cruise or be kept by those who want them.

For those who cannot benefit from the headsets, I suggest seeing your doctor to see what other items or procedures will help you. This would enhance your everyday activities --- not just on the cruise.

Call me heartless and cruel if you choose, but helping oneself is and should be top priority.

MUTS is not a necessity ---- It is nice, and can be enjoyable if the movies are something you like.

For you to understand profound hearing loss would require you to have profound hearing loss. Headsets do not help those who cannot hear. Closed captioning allows me to READ the words that are spoken. I really don't understand how this affects you in a negative way.

People who are deaf or hard of hearing, in the main, do ALL they possibly can to make life more bearable. I myself have severe bilateral hearing loss compounded by severe bilateral tinnitus. I have spent large amounts of money on hearing aids for my hearing loss and I attend a hearing therapy clinic to try to come to terms with my tinnitus. However, hearing aids only offer limited help and there are many social situations when I cannot hear what is going on and find myself 'isolated' and although I have a severe hearing loss, with my tinnitus I am trapped in a world that is NEVER silent? Do you have any sort of hearing loss or tinnitus? If you do not, then you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about and come across as very insensitive. If you cannot add anything sensible to this discussion, then I politely suggest that you do not make any further 'contribution'!

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

I also have had a hearing loss and wear aids. I just got off the Caribbean Princess. My W and I watched one movie on muts. They had the sound down and I had trouble hearing some of the quieter dialog. having CC would be a gray help and, I think, would not detract at all from the experience.

That said, for some live shows, CC can be a pain as it takes some time for them to post the captions. But for those who are truly deaf, they would be better than what they have now.

Even my nail salon has closed captioning on its television.
I had one of the first sharp lcd tvs. It had a way to reverse the caption display -- so that if you were in a barber shop, watching the tv in the mirror in front of you, the captioning would appear correctly in the mirror.

Do you have any sort of hearing loss or tinnitus? If you do not, then you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about and come across as very insensitive. If you cannot add anything sensible to this discussion, then I politely suggest that you do not make any further 'contribution'!

Well said. It is obvious that Swedish has no idea what hearing loss is all about.

I'm back and love the comments. SWEDISHWEAVE, I can bring my own device because I live in San Luis Obispo where a wonderful company has come up with a devise that allows me to FINALLY go to any movie theatre that has digital sound devises. They will let me borrow it, but the cruise lines need to step up and install the devise to it will send the captions to the unit. And I do not qualify for a cochlear implant because I have total nerve damage..it is called....Neurofibromatosis or NF2. ( people should look it up and thank your lucky stars you do not have this) I am one of the lucky people that have it on both sides. I have had this for 13 yrs and it still amazes me the way DEAF people are treated! I have to either go to the Drs office to make an appointment, or have someone call for me because the TTY Operators are so totally incompetent that I tossed out the TTY Phone. ( could tell you a horrid story but no room for it here) I have a cell phone for texting, but that only works when the people I know text me because others do not pay attention and call me!

We need to continue to talk with the cruise lines about this problem. I have emailed accessoffice@princesscruises.com, and will continue to bug them about this until they help. I do not sign. Very hard to learn Sign after you loose your hearing because you need to read the teachers lips and watch their fingers..

Thank you every one for the kind words!

the reason I did not request CC on the MUTS screen is because it might BOTHER others. Every Cruise I take is 10 days or longer, and every time I go, the TV's in the cabin do not work with captions! I do not need anything else but captions because I travel with my husband or friends that help me in the room. I usually do not go to the shows, but did this last time and enjoyed watching. I made a button to wear to let people know I am deaf! I agree that people should try it for a day, plug your ears and see how life is for the deaf. It is a HIDDEN HANDICAP that most do not understand!

The cruise lines need to step up and offer captions for the hearing impaired.

I actually had applied for a job at one of the major companies that provide captioning for programs. I had three interviews, including with the general manager and was disappointed not to get it (I think it was one of the sales managers who kept cracking her gum in that final interview). The others even liked that my father worked for the state dept. of rehabilitation. Seriously, I still don't get that one poster who doesn't get why CC on the MUTS screen would be a good thing.

A friend of mine is an interpreter. Groups often pay her to travel with them to interpret (including cruises).

Many people who aren't born deaf (as well as some who are born deaf) haven't learned to utilize ASL. It's not something you can easily pick up with just a few sessions. I work for a state agency that deals with disabilities of various sorts. Some of the people I support at work are either hearing impaired or outright deaf. Interpreters and text devices are extremely helpful but most of the people who work for the agency don't have ASL abilities and many of the clients of the department don't have ASL knowledge or are very limited with it. ASL is very cool but is not a panacea for the hearing impaired community.

I resent the personal attacks and comments. You don't know me and have no idea what limitations I have. I would appreciate it if you would keep the comments to the subject.

Your personal attacks at me contribute NOTHING to the subject.

I DO have knowledge of the subject of this thread, so please back off !!!

It seems some want sympathy instead of information and help.

Edited by swedish weave

I actually had applied for a job at one of the major companies that provide captioning for programs. I had three interviews' date=' including with the general manager and was disappointed not to get it (I think it was one of the sales managers who kept cracking her gum in that final interview). The others even liked that my father worked for the state dept. of rehabilitation. Seriously, I still don't get that one poster who doesn't get why CC on the MUTS screen would be a good thing.[/quote']

Sounds like your dad works for the same department I do - Department of Rehabilitation. Some people get confused and think it's the prison system which also has Rehabilitation in the name but it's definitely not the same agency. (I don't work with the clients though, I'm on the IT side of things.)

I resent the personal attacks and comments. You don't know me and have no idea what limitations I have. I would appreciate it if you would keep the comments to the subject.

Your personal attacks at me contribute NOTHING to the subject.

I DO have knowledge of the subject of this thread, so please back off !!!

It seems some want sympathy instead of information and help.

WHOA! While I didn't originally comment on your posts, I feel compelled to do so now. Weren't you the one who wrote, "Call me heartless and cruel if you choose . . . ." Well, you got want you wanted. Now you're crying foul. "The lady [or gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks." Even Shakespeare agrees with me. :)

Edited by CI66774

WHOA! While I didn't originally comment on your posts, I feel compelled to do so now. Weren't you the one who wrote, "Call me heartless and cruel if you choose . . . ." Well, you got want you wanted. Now you're crying foul. "The lady [or gentleman] doth protest too much, methinks." Even Shakespeare agrees with me. :)

I did not say it was OK to tell me I knew nothing about the subject of this thread.

If speaking the truth is heartless or cruel, I do that. I also deal with problems in my own way. It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

Edited by swedish weave

Many people who aren't born deaf (as well as some who are born deaf) haven't learned to utilize ASL. It's not something you can easily pick up with just a few sessions. I work for a state agency that deals with disabilities of various sorts. Some of the people I support at work are either hearing impaired or outright deaf. Interpreters and text devices are extremely helpful but most of the people who work for the agency don't have ASL abilities and many of the clients of the department don't have ASL knowledge or are very limited with it. ASL is very cool but is not a panacea for the hearing impaired community.

I agree 100%. Someone commented that there were interpreters on a cruise they took and I just mentioned that my friend is hired (by groups) to travel with groups to interpret (cruise lines did not provide them plus my friend would go on land trips such as to Hawaii with them). I learned some ASL when hanging out with my friend but she moved and I have since lost everything except for the alphabet.

My mom became visually impaired as an adult and never learned braille. It was difficult for her to learn as an older adult and most things she needed were not provided in braille (bills, etc...).

Edited by Coral

I did not say it was OK to tell me I knew nothing about the subject of this thread.

If speaking the truth is heartless or cruel, I do that. I also deal with problems in my own way. It is better to be informed than just opinionated.

True, but your posts led many to believe you knew nothing about the subject. When you write posts that anyone reasonable person would deem as controversial or provocative, you have to expect some level of pushback.

By the comments in this thread, people want to see closed captions on screens (movie and TV) on Princess ships--whether they have hearing loss or not. That is a fact in this thread. I'm sure you will not agree and that's fine.......just don't say this isn't true.

Edited by thyme2go

The cost to book a handicap cabin or hotel room is the same as booking a regular one.

This is simply NOT true. My son is a disabled veteran who is a functional quad. Hotel rooms almost never offer two beds in a handicapped room. You are expected or either share the bed with your attendant or else rent two rooms. This is a pretty big peeve for me. The actual cost of the room may be the same but what is available in that room isn't.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Edited by Thrak

By the comments in this thread, people want to see closed captions on screens (movie and TV) on Princess ships--whether they have hearing loss or not. That is a fact in this thread. I'm sure you will not agree and that's fine.......just don't say this isn't true.

The comments on this thread indicate most want PRINCESS TO FURNISH THE EQUIPMENT AND/OR TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT THEIR DESIRE TO SEE AND HEAR MOVIES. They should take care of those wants for themselves.

The technology is available for speech to text converters plus many other developments. The phones can now convert speech and search for info.

There are many more important ways for the cruise line to allocate their resources. Think about those who have lost their health and homes in fires, storms, etc. Most mainstream cruise lines are helping these people.

The few who are demanding concessions from the cruise lines are unlikely to succeed, and will continue to be frustrated unless they approach their problems with the idea they must do something for themselves.

I see the difference between wants and needs. That difference seems to be lost in this thread.

Edited by swedish weave

The comments on this thread indicate most want PRINCESS TO FURNISH THE EQUIPMENT AND/OR TECHNOLOGY TO SUPPORT THEIR DESIRE TO SEE AND HEAR MOVIES. They should take care of those wants for themselves.

The technology is available for speech to text converters plus many other developments. The phones can now convert speech and search for info.

There are many more important ways for the cruise line to allocate their resources. Think about those who have lost their health and homes in fires, storms, etc. Most mainstream cruise lines are helping these people.

The few who are demanding concessions from the cruise lines are unlikely to succeed, and will continue to be frustrated unless they approach their problems with the idea they must do something for themselves.

I see the difference between wants and needs. That difference seems to be lost in this thread.

With your logic, we might as well get rid of the MDR since that is a 'want' and not a need. Get rid of the stewards and all the 'help' on the ship because those are want's and NOT needs. See how this works when you manipulate what is said? A cruise should just be letting you on the ship......that's it. Everything else is up to you.....clean your room, make your food, no entertainment.......afterall, those are just 'wants' for everybody who cruises.

And I will maintain that closed captioning is not an expenditure............These days movies COME with closed captioning capabilities built into them..........

Edited by thyme2go

With your logic, we might as well get rid of the MDR since that is a 'want' and not a need. Get rid of the stewards and all the 'help' on the ship because those are want's and NOT needs. See how this works when you manipulate what is said? A cruise should just be letting you on the ship......that's it. Everything else is up to you.....clean your room, make your food, no entertainment.......afterall, those are just 'wants' for everybody who cruises.

And I will maintain that closed captioning is not an expenditure............These days movies COME with closed captioning capabilities built into them..........

Your words -----------NOT MINE !!!!

Sounds like your dad works for the same department I do - Department of Rehabilitation. Some people get confused and think it's the prison system which also has Rehabilitation in the name but it's definitely not the same agency. (I don't work with the clients though, I'm on the IT side of things.)

Besides his private practice (internal medicine), he worked part time as a medical district officer for our local office (California). He would give physical exams to the newly disabled and whatever gleamed from that would help the counselors when they sit down with the patients about what vocational options they had. When my sister got a dislocated shoulder due to a mugging, she came in there. My father suggested I go for my MA in that field (my undergrad degree was in Psychology), but I applied and got into a graduate program in Journalism instead.

Many disabled people worked there too. Eventually my father had to retired due to his health and I went to his retirement party and met his co-workers and boss there.

There are so many ways that the disabled are accommodated (braille on elevator buttons, wheelchair ramps, etc.) and I think it's all good.