I am 95% deaf

Teris50

My most recent RCCL cruise had an ASL person signing at the shows. I had not seen that on a cruise before and thought it was wonderful. I do not know if they are now common or whether this cruise had a hearing impaired group.

I would like the cruise lines to provide the same devices for the MUTS as the movie theaters do. I don't think that is too much to ask or to offer.

I can hear just fine and I love having the CC on along with the audio.

I wish they would have it on MUTS and in the gym all the time. It would be nice to have the option of using it in the cabins, as well.

That other poster was correct about catering to the demographic. Most cruisers are older and a majority have some sort of hearing impairment. This would be a small fix for Princess. Let's hope they are reading this board like the others and implement a change soon. Something so simple could really help a lot of people.

I totally agree with the OP...I am also nearly deaf & need captions.

If Princess does not want captions on screen they could set up a system like Walt Disney World's, with a section for a dedicated caption screen.

As for a previous comment "They certainly adjust to some of these things in their everyday lives, don't they ? "

we adjust by having captions at home, but this does no good elsewhere.

I personally think the world would not end if all movies were captioned so that if even one person were to request it, it would be available.

Steve

Edited by skf

Oh boy I am so happy to see someone else speaking out. I'm Elite on Princess and every cruise I speak to the Purser's Desk (Passenger Services) Captain's Circle host, cruise director etc and ask for more help for people with hearing loss. They act like nobody ever complained before and I know that is not true.

I am late deafened, I have a cochlear implant, have bought tons of devices that are supposed to help but I still have problems hearing in most situations and cannot understand TV or movies without captions. I do everything I can to prepare myself for the cruise including notifying Princess so why can't the cruise line do something to help? Hearing loss is a permanent condition that cannot be "fixed". Hearing aids etc can be a big help but not a cure.

It's up to us to speak out and ask for captioning, flashing light safety alarms, special phones, listening systems etc. These are not extremely expensive and once in place would help thousands of passengers. We like longer cruises and most of the passengers are over 65 which means many if not most of them have some degree of hearing loss but it's invisible not like a wheelchair.

On my last cruise I complained because 95% of the programs and movies shown on TV were not captioned even though they are all shown in the USA with captions. Passenger Services basically shrugged and said not our problem. After 23 cruises with Princess that really hurt.

SO SPEAK UP EVERYONE. IT'S THE ONLY WAY WE CAN MAKE THEM CHANGE.

Some people complain about captions but do you ever noticed that there is a continuous 24/7 scroll of information at the bottom of the screen on news channels like CNN, FOX, MSNBC along with the financial networks and even ESPN?

Gotta agree with Hondu...every TV show has banners & notices for other shows, so why not use the space for something actually useful? There is plenty of unused space on movie screens in which subtitles would fit nicely.

I think that Princess should step up and have better services for The Deaf community and the hearing impaired so that we are able to view what is being shown on the MUTS screen!

This will be my 3rd cruise of 10 days and longer and I find it amazing there are not more people out there fighting for this service. I mentioned this last year prior to going on the rt Golden to Hawaii in December. I am not asking for captions on the screen, but a new system has been developed where the cruise lines can provide a captioned receiver for each person to use.

Every cruise I meet more people that tell me that are hard of hearing or almost deaf, so I know you are out there. I have met people with the cochlear implants..so people, speak up.

And PLEASE no flaming, because unless you have walked in my shoes, you have no idea how hard it is to loose your hearing after 50 yrs !

Have you contacted "Costumer Relations" at Princess with your quest?

Here are a few e-mail addresses to use, either one or all to get results! :D :rolleyes:

<Jswartz@princess.com> :D

<arbuckelew@princess.com> :D

<customerrelations@princess.com> :D

Cato :)

Originally Posted by Teris50

I think that Princess should step up and have better services for The Deaf community and the hearing impaired so that we are able to view what is being shown on the MUTS screen!

This will be my 3rd cruise of 10 days and longer and I find it amazing there are not more people out there fighting for this service. I mentioned this last year prior to going on the rt Golden to Hawaii in December. I am not asking for captions on the screen, but a new system has been developed where the cruise lines can provide a captioned receiver for each person to use. (quote)

--------------------------------

Wouldn't it be more logical to have one of these devices for your personal use than ask the cruise line to maintain a supply of them and provide them ?

I am certain they would be very handy to have in your everyday life.

Edited by swedish weave

My most recent RCCL cruise had an ASL person signing at the shows. I had not seen that on a cruise before and thought it was wonderful. I do not know if they are now common or whether this cruise had a hearing impaired group.

A friend of mine is an interpreter. Groups often pay her to travel with them to interpret (including cruises).

For Swedish Weave

Some hard of hearing people can use a listening system but the receiver you use has to be compatible with the ship's sound system. It's logical for the ship to provide them - receivers cost about $50 wholesale. There is no way to know in advance if your personal receiver will work on the ship.

My hearing even with a cochlear implant is too bad for me to use a listening system - I NEED CAPTIONS. Captioning is a one time cost and could easily be done by the company that provides movies and TV programming to the cruise ships. All the cruise line has to do is ask for it when they renew their contract with the supplier.

Why are you so eager to make the passengers pay for their own handcap access? Do you expect passengers to pay extra for a wheelchair accessible cabin?

For Swedish Weave

Some hard of hearing people can use a listening system but the receiver you use has to be compatible with the ship's sound system. It's logical for the ship to provide them - receivers cost about $50 wholesale. There is no way to know in advance if your personal receiver will work on the ship.

My hearing even with a cochlear implant is too bad for me to use a listening system - I NEED CAPTIONS. Captioning is a one time cost and could easily be done by the company that provides movies and TV programming to the cruise ships. All the cruise line has to do is ask for it when they renew their contract with the supplier.

Why are you so eager to make the passengers pay for their own handcap access? Do you expect passengers to pay extra for a wheelchair accessible cabin?

This logic escapes me. Those who need wheelchairs or walkers DO bring their own. They also use them in their everyday activities. I also believe the handicap cabins are more costly than the regular ones.

The cruise line cannot be expected to cater to every "special needs or desires" request.

Perhaps if the cruise line did purchase devices for use by those who want them, they could charge a fee to recoup their investment.

This logic escapes me. Those who need wheelchairs or walkers DO bring their own. They also use them in their everyday activities. I also believe the handicap cabins are more costly than the regular ones.

The cruise line cannot be expected to cater to every "special needs or desires" request.

Perhaps if the cruise line did purchase devices for use by those who want them, they could charge a fee to recoup their investment.

Honestly, I hope for your sake that you never develop any disability as you seem pretty clueless as to the amount of challenges that those with disabilities face every day. Or the fact that many individuals with disabilities can't easily fix their disability by just adding a hearing aid or having a surgery. Believe me, if they could easily fix this, I am sure they would.

The OP asked for Closed Captioning for MUTS which to my knowledge, would not cost the cruise line anything. Definitely not an unreasonable request.

-------------

Sorry - just to clarify. I re-read the OP and she asked for a Closed Captioning receiver so that she could watch MUTS. I honestly would not be affected by CC on the MUTS screen but she probably doesn't want others inconvenienced. Our local movie theatres provide these for those who need them who attend their theatres. Not an unreasonable request.

Edited by Coral
added last paragraph

Honestly, I hope for your sake that you never develop any disability as you seem pretty clueless as to the amount of challenges that those with disabilities face every day. Or the fact that many individuals with disabilities can't easily fix their disability by just adding a hearing aid or having a surgery. Believe me, if they could easily fix this, I am sure they would.

The OP asked for Closed Captioning on MUTS which to my knowledge, would not cost the cruise line anything. Definitely not an unreasonable request.

I agree. Some people are just so mean !

Please, explain what you lose or what it costs you to have close captioning on MUTS?

I agree with the others that having CC would be great and not at all burdensome for the rest of us. I can't believe one person thinks that someone should have to carry around a CC box to a cruise, when it's not going to be useful for watching a movie off of the MUTS screen. Sorry, but I don't think it's going to cost Princess or any other cruiseline an arm or a leg to provide this service.

This logic escapes me. Those who need wheelchairs or walkers DO bring their own. They also use them in their everyday activities. I also believe the handicap cabins are more costly than the regular ones..

The cost to book a handicap cabin or hotel room is the same as booking a regular one.

Another cruiser who feels putting CC on MUTS/TV's etc., is 'just fine'! We watch foreign films and rely on translations scrolling underneath. And for 'regular' movies it's no big deal, and is helpful to catch words or phrasing that might escape us when verbalized with background noise on screen!! :eek:

We are not facing hearing loss............yet. Come on Princess.....this is a simple step and easily done!

Swedish weave, stick your fingers in your ears and go to the movies and us know how much you enjoy it. Or go out to a restaurant with cotton in your ears and try to participate in a conversation. I have moderate to severe hearing loss and have been fitted for state of the art aids. Sometimes they work fine, other times I find them frustrating and useless, depending on the situation. If there's a lot of background noise, or loud noise, I hear a garble of sound nothing discernible. People who speak to me and don't move their lips, speak in a monotone, or turn away from me when speaking might as well not say anything. People with hearing loss do everything and anything to be able to hear what's going on around them. Surgery, expensive electronic equipment, even classes in learning how to listen. We who are severely hard of hearing or profoundly deaf have a feeling of isolation, sometimes a fear because of that isolation, and definitely a strong sense of not being part of everyone else. If you see me sitting quietly, not participating, it's because I've given up try to hear. So, if you think we haven't done everything to help ourselves you are wrong. All we ask for is closed captioning on the MUTS screen. Interpreters don't help if you don't know ALS and most people don't. Particularly not those who are only hearing impaired not deaf.

No Swedish, you have not walked a mile in our shoes but I hope that we've given you a little education and that you can give us some respect and dignity. Thank you.

Maureen

JRZEBIRD - well said, love the way you express exactly how I feel too. I've actually tried the captioning glasses at my local movie theater and after 10 minutes just wanted to rip them from my head because of the discomfort. They are expensive and fragile and would probably not be popular with passengers so I don't think they are an option for the cruise lines right now. Captioning on MUTS might keep the sound level down which would make some hearing people happy.

I honestly think that if we all speak up for ourselves then we can get the cruise lines to change. After my unpleasant encounter with the front desk on the Star, my emails to Access Services and Customer Relations were ignored and after more than 3 months I don't expect to hear from them. But I promise that on my next cruise (hopefully next year) I will try again to get some hearing access.

SEE CC AT SEA

Swedish weave, stick your fingers in your ears and go to the movies and us know how much you enjoy it. Or go out to a restaurant with cotton in your ears and try to participate in a conversation. I have moderate to severe hearing loss and have been fitted for state of the art aids. Sometimes they work fine, other times I find them frustrating and useless, depending on the situation. If there's a lot of background noise, or loud noise, I hear a garble of sound nothing discernible. People who speak to me and don't move their lips, speak in a monotone, or turn away from me when speaking might as well not say anything. People with hearing loss do everything and anything to be able to hear what's going on around them. Surgery, expensive electronic equipment, even classes in learning how to listen. We who are severely hard of hearing or profoundly deaf have a feeling of isolation, sometimes a fear because of that isolation, and definitely a strong sense of not being part of everyone else. If you see me sitting quietly, not participating, it's because I've given up try to hear. So, if you think we haven't done everything to help ourselves you are wrong. All we ask for is closed captioning on the MUTS screen. Interpreters don't help if you don't know ALS and most people don't. Particularly not those who are only hearing impaired not deaf.

, you have not walked a mile in our shoes but I hope that we've given you a little education and that you can give us some respect and dignity. Thank you.

Maureen

WELL SAID> Thanks Maureen.

The question here is not whether or not you have hearing problems. It is who should do the necessary to overcome this problem.

I believe Princess could follow the example set by the airlines.

They don't have closed captioning. They have headsets available at a price that work for most of the passengers who want to see and hear the movies.

The cruise lines could mute the sound and eliminate the complaints from those who find the sound offensive.

They could offer wireless headsets at a price for those who want them and each individual could adjust the volume to their needs. The headsets could be turned in at the end of the cruise or be kept by those who want them.

For those who cannot benefit from the headsets, I suggest seeing your doctor to see what other items or procedures will help you. This would enhance your everyday activities --- not just on the cruise.

Call me heartless and cruel if you choose, but helping oneself is and should be top priority.

MUTS is not a necessity ---- It is nice, and can be enjoyable if the movies are something you like.