Travel from Orlando (WDW) to Ft Lauderdale and return?

Sue's Mom

My DH and I have just booked for the Ruby Princess departing Ft Lauderdale on 1 February. We have a couple of nights booked at WDW at the start and 3 nights booked at the end of the cruise. It is one of those seemingly rare occasions when the cost of a flight into Orlando airport from the UK is relatively affordable! Is it best to hire a car for the days of travelling to the ship and travelling back from the ship to Orlando? Car hire (including insurance etc) is about $35 per day.

We do the Ft. Lauderdale to Walt Disney World trip every year post cruise. It has been our experience that renting from Budget at their Quay Center location (F07) on 17th Street, affords the best rates.

After our cruise, we take a taxi to Quay Center, about $15, drive to Walt Disney World and drop the car off at the Orlando Airport. You could do that in reverse for your drive prior to the cruise.

You could also take Walt Disney World's free Magical Express to and from MCO and use a Budget location near Walt Disney World. I believe there's one Hotel Boulevard that offers shuttle service if you call in advance to schedule.

Lew

Is it best to hire a car for the days of travelling to the ship and travelling back from the ship to Orlando? Car hire (including insurance etc) is about $35 per day.

Yes. That is good pricing and the easiest way to get between Orlando and FLL.

Just remember to drive on the correct side of the road.

as mentioned earlier, renting from Budget car rental at the quay on 17th st causeway in FLL is by far the best way. it is very close to the port, they have good prices and great staff. we just did that last saturday.

we live 3 hours away from the port and always rent a car both ways to save money on parking.

when we happen to dock very close to the causeway bridge at port everglades my wife stays with the luggage and i walk over and get the rental car and then pick her up....the traffic inside the port area can be hectic if you are not used to driving in it so a cab may be the best way to go...with tip it should be $ 15 at the most...have a great vacation!

We have done it post cruise twice now. It's an easy drive and I find it a nice way to transition from ship to crazy (WDW). Plan the day for the drive and maybe catch one light show that night somewhere at WDW before you throw yourself into the madness. Last time we stayed at the Yacht Club and so we drove in, relaxed a bit at the hotel and then took a water taxi over to Epcot for the show. Nice day.

This thread is very helpful. We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale and I was debating whether to take a couple of days at the end of the trip and visit Universal Studios. My 15 year old daughter has been a huge Harry Potter fan for many years and I thought we should take the time to go and see it. Who knows if we will make it back to Florida. It possibly will only be my daughter and I and I was quite nervous on renting a car and driving up on our own. I think I will also check into flying home out of Orlando.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Maria' date=' how long will the drive take, do you think?[/quote']

Greetings

The trip from FLL to MCO (Orlando Airport) is about 3 hours. It's an easy drive. You will want to take the Florida Turnpike. You can get on the turnpike in Ft Lauderdale or take I-95 north to either Jupiter or Ft Pierce

and cut over to the turnpike there. No worries about the turnpike on the trip, they still take cash for tolls (the south sections of the turnpike are now cashless).

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

The trip from FLL to MCO (Orlando Airport) is about 3 hours. It's an easy drive. You will want to take the Florida Turnpike. You can get on the turnpike in Ft Lauderdale or take I-95 north to either Jupiter or Ft Pierce

and cut over to the turnpike there. No worries about the turnpike on the trip, they still take cash for tolls (the south sections of the turnpike are now cashless).

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks for the useful info Tom.

The one and only time I drove the Turnpike was about 30 years ago. It was very quiet and there were about 4 storyboards on the side of the road between Miami and Orlando.

This thread is very helpful. We are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale and I was debating whether to take a couple of days at the end of the trip and visit Universal Studios. My 15 year old daughter has been a huge Harry Potter fan for many years and I thought we should take the time to go and see it. Who knows if we will make it back to Florida. It possibly will only be my daughter and I and I was quite nervous on renting a car and driving up on our own. I think I will also check into flying home out of Orlando.

As a Brit who drives on the left side of the road at home, I find driving in the US relatively easy. "Relatively" because I do not like driving anywhere in hectic traffic through a city. Everyone seems to know where they are going except me, LOL.