Driving into New York for the first time for our cruise

rosemont5380

My family is leaving out of New York on the Splendor, Monday May 12th. Here's my concern:

We are thinking about driving from Michigan and have never been to New York before. I'm concerned that we might not be able to handle the traffic. Is it wise for a first timer to attempt the drive in?

Any suggestions or tips to help make our trip to the terminal easier would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't mind driving in the city. Yes, there's a lot of traffic, but I'd rather be driving there then on the interstate. As the streets are numbered it's pretty easy to figure out where you are and how far and in what direction to get to where you want to go. I think the driving is not the issue (if I were driving to NYC to take a cruise) It's the parking. At the pier, it's $35 a day, at least it is this year and it will probably go up! There are a few nearby garages, but not much cheaper and then you still have to get a cab or "whatever" from parking there to over to the pier.

I think the driving is not the issue (if I were driving to NYC to take a cruise) It's the parking. At the pier, it's $35 a day, at least it is this year and it will probably go up! There are a few nearby garages, but not much cheaper and then you still have to get a cab or "whatever" from parking there to over to the pier.

yowza. luckily we have family in Albany and can park our car there and take the bus down.

We have driven from Ontario, through Mich, to NY for our cruise twice now and it really isn't too bad at all. The drive across Penn. gets a bit boring but overall its not bad provided you have a good gps.

We usually take about 12 hrs to do the trip with stops so we leave around 3am to miss a lot of the heavy night time traffic in NJ and NY if we arrive on a week day.

Also consider arriving a day early and grabbing a hotel. For us it is a bit of security just in case we have some sort of car problems or bad weather along the way that slows us down.

You can find park and sail hotel deals in NJ for about $139 plus $100 for a limo to and from the pier. This allows you to leave you vehicle in the hotel lot during the cruise. Alternately you could pay to park at the pier for $35/day, so for an 8 day cruise would be $280 (plus the tax I believe.)

Have you ever driven in Chicago? NY is about the same. Boston, Atlanta are in my opinion worse. Driving in NY is aggressive but there are rules...most of the time. I have driven in Paris and Rome which also have worse traffic then NY....but I would never drive in Cairo...

Have driven in Southern Florida? remember that a good portion of those drivers and elderly NY'ers.

We drive to the port. If you want to avoid most of the street traffic, my advice is to come in on I-80 and cross the George Washington Bridge. Stay to your right where you can exit onto NY Route 9A, the West Side Highway. Go south and there is an exit for the cruise terminal once you get down to 57th Street.

I know a lot of folks suggest the Lincoln Tunnel rather than the GW. And if you don't stay to the right on the bridge, you can get caught up in the traffic taking the Cross Bronx (the worst road ever devised by man:eek:). However, the GW keeps you off the streets and avenues with their traffic lights until you reach the port.

We drive to the port. If you want to avoid most of the street traffic, my advice is to come in on I-80 and cross the George Washington Bridge. Stay to your right where you can exit onto NY Route 9A, the West Side Highway. Go south and there is an exit for the cruise terminal once you get down to 57th Street.

I know a lot of folks suggest the Lincoln Tunnel rather than the GW. And if you don't stay to the right on the bridge, you can get caught up in the traffic taking the Cross Bronx (the worst road ever devised by man:eek:). However, the GW keeps you off the streets and avenues with their traffic lights until you reach the port.

One detail, it's labeled as the Henry Hudson Parkway. It doesn't become the Westside Highway until down in the 50's. otherwise I agree, the GWB to the Henry Hudson is a much easier drive. And you are correct, stay to the right in the Bridge so you can exit, or you'll end up in hell.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

My .02 NYC driving is tough because of two factors, lots and lots of cabs who are all aggressive drivers, and lots and lots of jaywalking pedestrians. These two factors make driving difficult, plus lots of one way streets, so you need to have a feel for the grid or you will get turned around.

One detail, it's labeled as the Henry Hudson Parkway. It doesn't become the Westside Highway until down in the 50's. otherwise I agree, the GWB to the Henry Hudson is a much easier drive. And you are correct, stay to the right in the Bridge so you can exit, or you'll end up in hell.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

A very important correction. The GW is a dual level bridge. Depending on what level you are on, the exit to the Henry Hudson 9W is either on your right or left. There are plenty of signs so just make sure that you follow them as soon as you see them and don't wait until the end of the bridge.

I agree that this is the best way to go and also that the Cross Bronx is the worst thing ever built.

If any of you are planning on driving, I found a website that lists hotels that have park & cruise packages~

https://www.hotelnparking.com/Cruise...+and+Parking-3

I saw this one which looks good to me:

COUNTRY INN & SUITES NEW JERSEY (MANHATTAN CRUISE)

rate: $139

Shuttle Hours: Hotel does not provide free shuttle, call 888-816-0973 for taxi at cost

Additional days of parking: $ 10.00

Transportation to Manhattan cruise port is by Limo at cost. appx. cost, $60 for two, $70 for three, $75 for four. For Limo call 888-816-0973.

Direct link to the hotel:

http://www.countryinns.com/elizabeth...07201/njnewark

The sleep park & cruise package booked directly through them is $289/299 but that includes 2 round trip transportation vouchers to Port of Bayonne, NJ~ which is not the port we need~

or there is this one:

CROWNE PLAZA NEWARK NJ

Rate $135

Shuttle Hours: No Free Shuttle To Manhattan Cruiseport

Additional days of parking: $

Free parking up to 14 days Wifi. Indoor Heated pool. Gym. Restaurant. Bar and Lounge. Hotel does not provide shuttle to cruiseport, taxi cost appx. $70 for two people.

Direct link to hotel:

http://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotel..._-USEN-_-ewrsp

another one:

HOLIDAY INN LA GUARDIA MANHATTAN CRUISEPORT

Rate: $169

Shuttle Hours: Transportation to Manhattan Cruise is by Taxi 24 hours, appx. cost $40 each way

Additional days of parking: $ 10.00

No Free shuttle to Cruiseport. Taxi cost appx. $40.00 Free wifi. Indoor pool Free LaGuardia airport shuttle. Restaurant. Lounge. BEST RATE GUARANTEE!

Direct link to Hotel:

http://www.holidaylga.com/?gclid=CP2...Fes9QgodwBUA3w

and one more:

WYNDHAM NEWARK NJ (MANHATTAN CRUISE)

Rate: $159

Additional days of parking: $ 18.00

Free parking up to 14 days. Transportation to Manhattan cruiseport is by taxi appx. cost $70.00 . For Taxi/Limo you can call 888-816-0973

Direct link to hotel:

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/new-je...n_date&rooms=1

~robin and brian

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2008

Edited by meatball_nyc

A very important correction. The GW is a dual level bridge. Depending on what level you are on, the exit to the Henry Hudson 9W is either on your right or left. There are plenty of signs so just make sure that you follow them as soon as you see them and don't wait until the end of the bridge.

I agree that this is the best way to go and also that the Cross Bronx is the worst thing ever built.

We took this route from a hotel in NJ into port on a Sunday morning. It took us 12 minutes ;). It was a beautiful drive and very easy to navigate. I'm quite comfortable driving in Ottawa, ON (Canada's capital and population of about 900 000 people) or the greater Toronto area (about 6 million people) and had no qualms driving this route. However, I wouldn't try it on a weekday morning!

I was driving and had DH navigating. Our gps gave us great lane by lane directions, but DH was verifying everything the gps said with the road signs while I paid attention to the traffic around us. It was a great system and worked well for us.

You're on an 8 day cruise, so parking at the port will be $280. This will be money well spent if you want to immediately get on the road back to Michigan after your cruise. The park sleep options are all by Newark Airport and when you cost it out, you won't save enough money to compensate for the time and

aggravation of getting yourselves and your luggage from Newark to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and back.

My suggestion would be to look at Hotwire in the Morristown/Parsipanny area for the night before the cruise. You should be able to find a 3*+ hotel for under $100 that will be located in a nice suburban area with easy access to a selection of restaurants. The following morning you can leave around 10 am and take I80 to the GW Bridge to pick up the Henry Hudson parkway directly to the cruise terminal. From the upper bridge the HH Pkwy exit is the very first exit on the right. From the lower bridge it's the very first exit on the left. From the Parsipanny area it should take no more than an hour to get to the port.