freestyle coke machines yet?

morganboys

With the Freestyle machines, at least on RC, you get a cup with a microchip in the bottom that tells the machine you purchased the package. At the buffet, you get a new glass every time.

You may be supposed to get a new cup but I doubt the majority do. Sit at any fast food restaurant with self serve machines and you will see people going back with their original cups most of the time.

You may be supposed to get a new cup but I doubt the majority do. Sit at any fast food restaurant with self serve machines and you will see people going back with their original cups most of the time.

That may be true, but the poster who asked didn't seem to know that the Freestyle machines REQUIRE you to reuse the same glass.

Thanks for those pics maureencruiser. Easier to see than describe. I especially like the many sugar free possibilities instead of just diet coke or diet sprite and maybe club soda.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Re: only contaminating your own cup.

That's false. It's not uncommon to see signs at soda fountains to ask that you use a different cup each time you want to fill up (NCL ships ask this). Even if you are only drinking from a cup germs can spread.

Cick mouth touches cup; cup to touches fountain; new cup touches fountain; new cup touches mouth of healthy person; former healthy person is found quarantined in his/her room the next day.

Theoretically, germs shouldn't spread if you use the fountain correctly to fill a drink. The unfortunate truth is that people do not know or care and germs will spread. All it takes is one contaminated cup to touch any surface and the damage is done.

I don't think you have used the type of soda machine they are talking about ... you press a touch screen to dispense the soda and these types of machines are common I haven't heard of an outbreak.

• 8 months later...
I'm reviving the thread......Is there anything in the works yet for fountain drinks?

for self serve-- I doubt that too-- imagine the mess of that-

see the mess people make with the ice tea/lemonade ??

they used to have the machines a long time ago- they took them out.

Why would they put them back. The reason they took them out is the high maintenance-- and filling them up etc.

there are bars everywhere. or not a far walk to get one.

I doubt very much they will put them back

Edited by serene56

I would be shocked if they switch to these machines. A friend of mine manages a restaurant that uses the freestyle units and he says they're a nightmare when it comes to maintenance.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My husband is in the restaurant industry and he said the exact same thing!

Thanks for those pics maureencruiser. Easier to see than describe. I especially like the many sugar free possibilities instead of just diet coke or diet sprite and maybe club soda.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We have these machines at our local Meijer stores. It absolutely drives me nuts to purchase a cup as I am checking out my groceries and then when I get to the machine find that all diet drinks are out. It seems the diet are all somehow connected and when one is gone they all are gone. Then I am stuck with a cup I paid $1+ for and cannot use because I can't have the drinks with the sugar. This has happened to me multiple times.

I would love to see these on Carnival, and JH has mentioned that they were looking into these last year or early this year. If maintenance is an issue with other cruise lines, and restaurants that have them such as Burger King, it may be the reason for the delay. The staff are always cleaning around the drink and ice-cream dispensers, so I don't think it'll be a problem with them cleaning another area such as one of the machines. As far as sanitation, I seldom see people use the same cup, except those with large refillable drink bottles. I myself use a Carnival logo branded cup onboard, and refill it using one of the smaller cups. Three separate cups will usually fill it up with juice or tea, and ice.

for self serve-- I doubt that too-- imagine the mess of that-

see the mess people make with the ice tea/lemonade ??

they used to have the machines a long time ago- they took them out.

Why would they put them back. The reason they took them out is the high maintenance-- and filling them up etc.

there are bars everywhere. or not a far walk to get one.

I doubt very much they will put them back

Seeing what people do with the ice cream I can't imagine what a 'help yourself' soda dispenser would be like! :eek:

My husband is in the restaurant industry and he said the exact same thing!

I work for coke and these fountains are a lot more involved than a normal one, maintenance wise. Still though I wish they would install them they are neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know I will get flamed for saying this but. I had the package on my last royal trip and I so did not like that you had to walk around holding your cup all day long. Me and my DW ended up never using it after the 2nd day. Its so much easier to walk up to a bar and ask for a soda. Not to mention the always having to worry about cleaning out your cup for sanitation reasons.

I also used these freestyle machines for the first time ever on Freedom of the Seas. I thought it would be a pain to lug the cup around, but after the first day it kinda became an extension of my hand. I had never purchased any kind of drink package on any cruise before (after 20+ cruises) and was very pleasantly surprised at the cost and what was included. (specialty coffees, etc.) Never had a problem with the machines being out of order. I do find that getting caffeine free diet coke (only thing I'll drink, with caffeine free diet pepsi being a desperation drink if no coke!) at the bars sometimes difficult on CCL. They usually run out by the end of the cruise at some bars, and I do a "bar-run" to try to find cans somewhere!