Pros & cons of a Cove Balcony

deerby27

We had a cove on both Dream (2302) and Breeze (2306). Love them.

Pros (for us):

Being close to the water

The shade

Felt private

Close to the gangway

Close to the theater and dinning

Cons:

I cannot think of any

We did not hear any noise or notice the water on the balcony. On the Dream we were playing the giant chess game on deck 5 and the people on their balconies would call out to us and help us. It was fun, but the balconies above deck 5 did not look private to us.

Would love to book another cove. Would book it in a heartbeat, just do not have the funds right now. lol :p

To me, there are no cons either. Why complain about elevators? Every floor of the ship requires elevator use!! I understand Lido is convenient to Lido, but who spends all the time there anyway. I personally don't want to be up that high.

Had the cove balcony on the Dream and the Breeze. Loved them!! We rarely use elevators which makes the cove easy walking distance to the dining rooms, shopping, piano bar, comedy clubs etc. If a person has a balcony on the upper decks such as 7 or above, it's going to be a longer walk (or elevator wait) to these same activities. Also very convenient when debarking at ports. Never noticed our balcony being wet. Very nice views of the ocean. Took pictures of sunsets with no interference from lifeboats. Actually the lifeboats serve as good privacy from upper decks. No open decks below to look into your balcony. The cove is the way to go!!:D

What I've noticed is people either love them or hate them....no in-betweens. I already listed my pros & cons in a previous post.

Personally, we've had deck 8 mid-ship balconies on the Breeze and the Magic and loved them. But Hubby wanted to try the cove on the Breeze last week. Only pro for me was being so close to the water. Going back to deck 8 mid-ship on the Dream next year.

But if you are used to inside or oceanview or your have a tighter budget, then a cove balcony is better than no balcony at all.

Dreary???

P1030526.JPG

No sunsets???

P1030707.JPG

Even this didn't wet out balcony...

aaaa1.jpg

I have been on a LOT of cruises and experienced some phenomenal sitings, and have seen a LOT of absolutely fantastic pictures people have shared on this board, but this last picture just makes my jaw drop to the floor and my eyes widen as far as they can. ASTOUNDING and AMAZING!!! :eek:

Had a cove on Magic and really, really liked it. I think what we liked about it was when you sat you could actually SEE the water. Didn't have to look through glass or stand to really enjoy the water. Had an aft on the Triumph and although enjoyed the view, we really missed just sitting and watching the water like from the cove. We will for sure get a cove again!

Pros: longer and has visibility on side and rear of ship.

Cons: Not as deep as a regular aft balcony. We had an aft balcony on the Freedom adjacent to the cove balcony and the difference in depth was a lot! I would prefer our aft balcony anytime over the cove.

Pros: longer and has visibility on side and rear of ship.

Cons: Not as deep as a regular aft balcony. We had an aft balcony on the Freedom adjacent to the cove balcony and the difference in depth was a lot! I would prefer our aft balcony anytime over the cove.

Coves are only on Dream class ships. You have it confused with something else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Can anyone help me in deciding if I want to book a Cove Balcony on the Dream.

Thanks in advance,

Lido Balcony on Dream was close to food , pools and bars , no waiting on an elevator .

Looking down you see water but you also see the deck below as well as other balconies , and you do not hear the waves .

Cove balcony on the Dream was IMO a better choice , you look out and see water you hear water and is more private , there are cameras pointing to the balconies (for safety I assume) four or five the length of the ship .

When choosing be aware of what is above you , 2272 and 2276 were good cabins . I did not mind walking to the elevator to eat , so no cons for us .

• 1 month later...
DH won't even CONSIDER one:mad::mad:

So, I guess I'll never find out.

Guess we're sticking with our Lido balcony:D:D

Which is fine with ME!!! LOVE the convenience of EVERYTHING.

I will tell you that I have read mixed reviews, and it's pretty much summed up in what previous posters have said. I am fine not having sun on my balcony, as I usually get enough during the day on the Lido, or in port, however, I don't know that I would like feeling so closed in. Also, when I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is go out on the balcony with my coffee, and if everything is all wet and yucky, I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. You will need to come back and tell us what you thought of it. Happy sailing!!!!!:D

Had a cove balcony on the magic 2 years ago, and it was never wet on balcony. Just booked another cove for feb. 23rd. Its a great cabin I think.

Camera? :eek:

We are booked in 2288 on the Breeze in June and pretty excited about it.

Why we booked it (hopefully pro's!):

Affordable balcony

Close to water

Shaded (DH burns easily)

More private

Things we are concerned about:

Noise from above

Elevators - this is the lowest we've ever been and we swore never to go lower than the Upper deck ever again so we're really hoping we don't regret this.

We've had 2288 on the Dream twice it is great, no noise from above. The cove balconies are great, the only way to go on the Dream class ships. Enjoy your cruise.