3rd party in room question??

P.A.

I was told today by a Princess rep that in the staterooms that will occupy a 3rd & 4th person, that since the upper bunks fold down, that you can not push the two lower beds together to make a queen bed due to safety regulations. This sucks!

Has anyone encountered this problem and will the stewards put them together anyway if you request it?

Also, the statetoom I have chosen does not have a symbol by it that says it will accompany a 3rd person, however, I've had two agents from Princess tell me that this particular room will. Should I be concerend? It's room B621.

Are these rooms the same size as the rooms in category BE towards the aft? We stayed in B739 last year. They said I should be able to bring in a rollaway.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks! :)

Believe it or not I was told it is for liability issues because too many people have hurt themselves on those bunks or beneath them...for this reason they do not want you to amke a Queen Bed...this happened not to us but a small family travelling on the Tahitian last December in teh cain next to us.....

We have been on two trips with my daughter in a room for three. The first was set up in a twin and we asked if it could be but into a queen and he said no due to safety. Our next one was set up in a queen format and kinda questioned. He said that it was fine and would set up my daughters a night. So I think it just depends.

Okay, how many of you like to sleep in the upper bunks. I would never travel with more than 2 people in a cabin. First the poor person that has to sleep up there only has a 6 inch space between their face and the ceiling and then they have to climb up there. What fun is that.

A third person, if a child, won't be a problem. The problem with a Queen setup is, when you step out of bed and stand up you will smash your head into the bottom of the upper bunk.

Ron

Okay, how many of you like to sleep in the upper bunks. I would never travel with more than 2 people in a cabin. First the poor person that has to sleep up there only has a 6 inch space between their face and the ceiling and then they have to climb up there. What fun is that.

I guess it just depends, because as far as I am concerned, I really don't care where I sleep as long as I am on a cruise ship! Having said that, I always make my kids sleep in the uppers if we have to share a room! :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. It will be our 21 yr old daughter as our 3rd person. We had originally planned on a cruise in Oct of 06 and her having her own stateroom with a friend. However, we've decided we don't want her missing a week of college so therefore we have moved our cruise to May of 06. Because of the date change, it is so much more expensive, that unfortunately she will be sharing a room with us and the friend won't be going. It's already $600 more and that's with the 3rd person in the room as opposed to a 3rd cabin for the sailing in Oct.

I know the sleeping arrangments won't be ideal, but she should be glad just to be there. We're also paying for my other daughter and her husband, so this won't be a cheap vacation for us, but it will be nice to have us all together.

We have booked a mini on Sapphire for us and 2 kids. We were told that 'officially' the bed configuration is twin, but once we got onboard we could ask our steward to change it to a queen bed and he would do so.

Apparently there is a pull-out bed in the couch and also the pull-down bed on the wall. If there are 3 people travelling you could try to use the pull-out bed from the couch instead of the pull-down bed.

If it isn't cost prohibitive, have you considered booking a mini-suite? Many times they aren't much more than a balcony cabin. The mini-suites have a sofabed that is actually quite comfortable. And it has it's own little separate area. Maybe that would be an option for you.

I thought this, too. That is until my parents offered to let me go as the 3rd person in their cabin to Europe. I am a single mother in my 40's and saved a lot of money doing it this way. I even got Xanax because of my claustrophobia on the top bunk but it was never a problem. I was quite comfortable and never took a pill.

Cruisin Chick....thank you for posting that picture of the 3rd bunk. Just one question, is that lower bed you see in that picture, (under the bunk) the regular bed that you can put together? And did they allow you to push together the lower beds? Did the room seemed cramped? It will be 3 adults in our room.

Thanks again! :)

For a 7 day cruise in an inside room it should be $199 + government fees and taxes - even a suite it is only $499 + for third person.

Ron

Thanks for the post Ron, but I didn't mean the 3rd person would cost another $600, what I meant to say was the whole trip will cost $600 more than the trip we had planned in Oct 06 and that is with a 3rd person in one of the rooms as opposed to 3 staterooms with 2 persons in each. Now there will only be 5 of us going with two rooms. Make sense??

" is that lower bed you see in that picture, (under the bunk) the regular bed that you can put together? And did they allow you to push together the lower beds? Did the room seemed cramped? It will be 3 adults in our room."

I'm trying to remember from last summer. I know we didn't even try to push them together but maybe the bottom bed can't be moved and the ladder would be in the way of pushing the other bed over. The upper bunk is tucked into the wall until the nightly turndown when the room steward comes in while you're at dinner and prepares your beds. So you don't have to pull it down unless everyone takes an afternoon nap.

I think the insides tend to be the smallest cabins but maybe the ones with the extra beds have more space???? I know we had room to eat breakfast in the cabin. And usually we managed in the space we have. But we're not big people so that may be a factor. And we haven't tried a different type of cabin on Princess so I wouldn't even try to compare.

Archived