Did Celebrity get it right - Captain's Club

ghstudio

I appreciate that Celebrity did quite a lot to accommodate all the different cruisers in a variety of circumstances at various levels. I just became Elite and loved the benefits we received on our last cruise, as such.

Someday I may get to Elite Plus, or not. It's unlikely I will ever get to Zenith. So what?

I sail with Celebrity because I love cruising and really like the Celebrity experience. All the loyalty perks are extra!

I'm happy! Thanks, Celebrity.

I cruise because I like it. I cruise Celebrity because I think they are the best of the mainstream lines. I paid extra money thinking that there was an implied promise, even though I had full knowledge that Celebrity had their fingers crossed behind their back just in case. The potential changes have actually been talked about here for like 2 years so thinking it would happen 3 weeks before my trip and that I would lose out on something I was expecting would be silly. But it's happened and I think it should have been rolled out a little better. Certainly don't give bonus points to some in this situation but not others. That's the salt on the wound.

The majority on here are happy because they are Elite and have either now become Elite+ or have something to aspire to without losing anything. I'd love to see the riots if the change was no more Elite cocktail party, only Elite+ gets it. I'm sure "read the contract" wouldn't suffice for that one. Better watch out, it might happen a week before your next cruise!

How did Celebrity have their fingers crossed, did someone at Celebrity tell you that you would not be affected by the changes or that your upcoming cruise would count toward the next tier? When the company I worked for made changes we didn't tell the line staff until the Friday before the change went into effect the following Monday, so I be surprised if they knew about the new program, unless you spoke to someone in management. Celebrity only gave bonus points to those that were very, very close to Elite (I think I read that Royal Caribbean did the same thing), did you think they should give bonus points to everyone. If not, where do they cut it off, since every has a different reason why they should be given extra points. Some have paid for cruises, some have deposits, those that paid for, but received OBC to pay them back, to join, etc. all feel that they should get extra points. Where would you cut it off? Who would you make happy and who would you dissapoint?

I've read posts from many that are Classic, Select, in addition to Elites, Elite+ and Zenith that were also happy that they didn't lose anything in the conversion. Nobody lost anything that they didn't already have.

I'm sure people would be upset if there was no Elite cocktail party, but if Celebrity decided to stop it, it would be Celebrity's decision. If they stopped it tomorrow, I wouldn't care, as I don't plan on attending, when I become Elite (trying to free up some space for those that are complaining it is too crowded now) after my next cruise. If I want a drink, I can go to a bar and purchase it myself (also I'm picky about what I drink).

I must march to the beat of a different drummer because i don't care about all these tiers. I cruise because i like it. I look to see which cruise has the itinerary, price, departure port and make a decision on those factors. The cruise line must know something about the the masses of people who value status over substance. I enjoy any perks they give me which are quite numerous because i cruise enough . I never consider the tier level or points when i choose a cruise or the cabin.

I'm with you, I've been Select for some cruises and I don't think I ever used one of the benefits of the tier. I cruise because I enjoy cruising; nothing like the sound of the ocean!

Perfectly stated! As of now, we're half way to Zenith. If we never make it to Zenith, we're happy. Yes, maybe the gap between Elite Plus and Zenith is a bit large, but maybe Celebrity will recognize that and adjust it in the future. Being a Founder Elite Plus, I agree with Andy. Celebrity should reward us for that. Michael Bailey! Are you listening?? :p

We are so happy with this new program!!!! We are now Elite Plus, retirement from private sector, and are very happy with the benefits!! My husband is now the Mayor of our city and more internet minutes and communication is very important!!! This will make it easier to cruise and keep in communication with those who matter!!! Citizens don't care if you are on a cruise, they want answers. Great move by Celebrity!!!

How did Celebrity have their fingers crossed, did someone at Celebrity tell you that you would not be affected by the changes or that your upcoming cruise would count toward the next tier?

Celebrity purposely rolled it out before his/her cruise silly! It was a conspiracy........

I booked Concierge cabins for my family (2 cabins). Paid extra for the double points so we would make Elite.

Cruise leaves in 11 days, December 7, 2013 fully paid for.

Now we get 35 points not 60 - we all fall short.

There are no perks that I want, extra the double points for Elite.

Why not make the cutoff at year end or for those who are fully paid.

I feel that I wasted $800.

Confirmed with Celebrity - told I should be happy with what I got because it is a free benefit.

We also paid the $35 pp to join. Celebrity lost that reservation with the payments. I had proof - the picture of us holding the ship's banner.

Never got the money back

Anyone in my situation would feel burnt

I agree that the program needed updating, but I feel that I was downgraded.

And by the way - most of the changes to airline frequent flyer programs that I've seen are based on the date tickets are purchase and paid for, not some random date that impacts all.

And I would add that when I have seen substantial changes to an airline loyalty program, it is announced in the future - not in the past as happened here.

I think the free cruise is more than generous

That is NOT a new benefit. It was an unadvertised benefit, but they did give a free veranda 7 night cruise at 100, 200, etc credits. The upgrade to Aqua Class for 6000 points (200 credits) is a very minor change. Royal gives a free cruise for the equivalent of every 50 credits (1500 points).

Edited by TommyD3

I am disappointed inasmuch as I have two cruises booked in 2014 which would have brought me into ELITE status and now I find that I will be 2 points short and will only qualify after booking a third cruise. I am not impressed.

I am very happy with the free premium beverage package ($62/day value), 1600 internet minutes ($400 value) and VIP lounge access for Zenith members.

I think they should have given less free internet minutes and added the same free specialty restaurant benefits that Suites now get (1 or 2 depending on the cruise length). Since we are getting the same priority theater seating as suites and Michaels Club VIP lounge access as Royal & PH they are treating us like we are in suites anyway. Why not go all the way.

I am not trying to complain, it just seems like a better distribution of the benefit dollars:)

I booked Concierge cabins for my family (2 cabins). Paid extra for the double points so we would make Elite.

Confirmed with Celebrity - told I should be happy with what I got because it is a free benefit.

We also paid the $35 pp to join. Celebrity lost that reservation with the payments. I had proof - the picture of us holding the ship's banner.

Never got the money back

I'd like to preface this statement by saying this is just my opinion. With that said, I feel it's ridiculous to spend an "extra" $800 just to get the little differences in perks between the Select and Elite level. It would have only taken one more cruise to get you there. Again, JMHO.

SDT

I am very happy with the free premium beverage package ($62/day value), 1600 internet minutes ($400 value) and VIP lounge access for Zenith members.

I think they should have given less free internet minutes and added the same free specialty restaurant benefits that Suites now get (1 or 2 depending on the cruise length). Since we are getting the same priority theater seating as suites and Michaels Club VIP lounge access as Royal & PH they are treating us like we are in suites anyway. Why not go all the way.

I am not trying to complain, it just seems like a better distribution of the benefit dollars:)

Tommy, read the benefits again. It says "Complimentary Beverage Package", not "Premium Beverage Package" More than likely a non-alcohol package.

I'd like to preface this statement by saying this is just my opinion. With that said, I feel it's ridiculous to spend an "extra" $800 just to get the little differences in perks between the Select and Elite level. It would have only taken one more cruise to get you there. Again, JMHO.

SDT

2 cabins 4 people $200 each. yes worth getting Elite staus

being 25 points short it will take 2 cruise to get there

Never got the money back

You paid $800 just to get to elite so you can take advantage of maybe $100 in perks??? Wow!!!! Also, if you paid to join the Captain's club! you paid $35, & when celebrity dropped the requirement to pay to join, they gave $50 OBC the next time one booked a cruise.

Why are the same posters saying over and over how everyone should be satisfied with the new changes to the Celebrity tiers? I I feel the loyal customers have a right to feel they are NOT valued by Celebrity. AND I'm not just talking about bonus points...the new elite plus benefits...really? How many at 300 points can't wait to get to 750 points? I'll bet few to none.

Hey Celebrity, just a heads up...

Satisfaction allows you to be in the game. LOYALITY allows you to continually win game.

I'm not sure what Celebrity was trying to do with this change, but for us it destroys any inventive to prefer Celebrity for the "loyalty" benefits.

We have cruised 6 times so far, with 6 different cruise lines as we decide which are the "right" brands for us. We have one cruise with Celebrity, and 2 more booked. Not suites, but the future cruises aren't bargain basement either (Exotic Southern Caribbean - 14 days - and Galapagos - 7 days but expensive).

Under the new system from what I can tell here we will be further away from Select after these cruises than under the old system, and the possibility of Elite has receded past our actuarial odds.

That means we will evaluate each Celebrity cruise solely on itinerary, amenities, and price against our other choices. If we do qualify for any benefits, they will be a cost to Celebrity but not an incentive to us.

That seems like a counter-productive policy change. JMHO.

I'm not sure what Celebrity was trying to do with this change, but for us it destroys any inventive to prefer Celebrity for the "loyalty" benefits.

We have cruised 6 times so far, with 6 different cruise lines as we decide which are the "right" brands for us. We have one cruise with Celebrity, and 2 more booked. Not suites, but the future cruises aren't bargain basement either (Exotic Southern Caribbean - 14 days - and Galapagos - 7 days but expensive).

Under the new system from what I can tell here we will be further away from Select after these cruises than under the old system, and the possibility of Elite has receded past our actuarial odds.

That means we will evaluate each Celebrity cruise solely on itinerary, amenities, and price against our other choices. If we do qualify for any benefits, they will be a cost to Celebrity but not an incentive to us.

That seems like a counter-productive policy change. JMHO.

How do the other five lines you have cruised on compare as far as awarding points to their customers?

You paid $800 just to get to elite so you can take advantage of maybe $100 in perks??? Wow!!!! Also, if you paid to join the Captain's club! you paid $35, & when celebrity dropped the requirement to pay to join, they gave $50 OBC the next time one booked a cruise.

Not entirely correct. They might have given the $50 OBC for a while but we didn't cruise for a few years and we never received the offer the next time we booked a cruise. I agree with others that Founders should have been given some bonus points. We have been loyal to Celebrity for a long time and we will remain so. We like what they offer.

I never received $50 OBC......and I paid $50 to join

Well personally I think it's a little harsh, as now MC will only be for Zenith passengers, which is like 10 people.... total. Haha Celebrity.

I Would assume the appeal for concierge class will dramatically reduce on the Solstice Class ships.

Everyone wants the most they can get out of their vacation, it just seems like now we'll all be getting a less than before.

Let's hope Celebrity is still good enough to entice passengers without their generous loyalty program, this may be quite interesting. At the end of the day it's just free stuff, are WE REALLY THAT GREEDY!!!??? ;)

BTW, does anyone else think it's a little complex how you actually get points... seems a little overdone to me!

I do not think Celebrity got it right, since loyalty programs are to encourage repeat business and reward those that do. Some of the best cruisers by day-count are probably inside/OV cruisers, but going forward they are getting less credit for their loyalty for not spending enough. Why not name the new CC levels "Steerage" "Cabin" and "First"?

But to me I think the worst part of the rollout is how they changed the program without any grace period. Carnival, who so many like to mock, gave folks more than a year of accumulation under the old system. We got rumors, and an unexpected rollout with (as of now) no mercy for those close to a tier transition.

Since a loyalty program rewards loyalty, it doesn't seem a stretch that all cruises booked as of the rollout date could be given points under the old system. Or heck, at least give the people inside the final payment window the points, or a chance to back out without penalty.

To expand on my latter point, those inside final payment booked under one set of rules, and now those rules have changed. Cabin category is an integral part of the new system, but people inside final payment did not know that when booking, so those people who are dissatisfied with the change can't cancel to show their outrage, and those who want to take advantage of the new system by changing their cabin category can't necessarily do that. For example, if my father-in-law decided that he'd rather get the extra points by upgrading to a balcony over an OV room, they are sold out on my sailing.

I will be calling the Captains Club and writing to Michael Bailey's office, and encourage everyone else who is dissatisfied to do the same. Be heard! So many Princess cruisers were upset at the new Royal Princess, that its sister ship is being modified to include a promenade!