Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

Many, many, many years ago, we were on an OLD ship and the cabin steward had no way of knowing when we left the cabin in the morning.

He put a little piece of folded paper in the door jam and if it was on the floor he knew we had left. Certainly not foolproof.

As for later in the evening when he would make down the room, I don't remember what he did??

We still have cabin stewards who do this. It seems to work well enough for us.

The privacy tag in the door in critical.

Conversely, the "please make up my room" tag is just as important. It saves the cabin steward from wondering whether you're in the cabin or not and whether he is bothering you by knocking.

Newbies need to be made aware to use BOTH sides of this tag religiously.

We always eat late, on one cruise there was one night where I was suffering from a migraine so DH tracked down our steward and asked him not to make up our room as I couldn't get out of bed. He said no problem and handed my husband a stack of fresh towels for the morning. The patter was left in our mailbox.

On our last cruise, there were a number of people who had their DNDs out a lot in the evening and their patters were left in their mailboxes, some room stewards would even leave their chocolates balanced on their DND cards :)

From a liability perspective, they have to be able to get into your room in an emergency, simple as that. Even when they do their emergency drills, they announce that you must put out your DND card or the staff will check your room just as they would have to if it were a real emergency.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I am really glad to have found this thread, as when I asked on another thread about using a dnd thing, the majority of the posters acted like I was crazy and/or up to something illegal or dirty.

Occasionally we'll have a night in and just order a pizza /watch a movie. Even with a tag on the door, the steward will still knock and ask if everything is OK...need towels, etc. Is it a requirement that stewards service all rooms each night? (Normally we'd be out at dinner when this is done).

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this, as I find that it's a bit of a bother having to get up and answer the door to him/her.

I am really glad to have found this thread, as when I asked on another thread about using a dnd thing, the majority of the posters acted like I was crazy and/or up to something illegal or dirty.

The majority of passengers probably have never had this problem of a cabin steward entering without knocking several times, and it's rare that kids will be running up and down the hall turning the DND tags to Please Make up the Cabin.

I think talking to your room steward is the key. We make it a point to meet them at the beginning of a cruise and to let them know our expectations and what we are like (go to each of the meals, usually away for an hour, good time to make up the room, wife take afternoon nap - do not disturb her unless you enjoy fire breathing dragons, etc).

When we leave, we try to wave to them or talk to them to let them know what we are doing (going out to breakfast, going on shorex- back around noon, etc).

We try to get to know them a bit personally - have kids, where are you from, etc.

We also use the DND/Service tags but don't rely on them too much. We do let the steward know that they are to knock on our door. We haven't yet had to tell them that a failure to do so will be reflect in their gratuity, but if they ignored it, that would certainly be a short discussion with them.

We've had a couple of times being surprised, but it was no big deal. Most of the times the steward is professional and apologizes and quickly backs out of the room.

We've had the Patter delivered to the outside door box, under the door, on the bed - we don't care one way or the other. We know we can also always get one from the Pursers desk if we need one. Never had one stolen though.

We go on cruises to be happy - we're not going to let a minor faux pas ruin our day.

:)

This is a great discussion here!

The cabin steward always tells me to put the privacy tag in the door if I don't want him coming in. Same thing for hotels. I've had maids unlock the door and walk in many times when I've failed to put the Do Not Disturb sign on. No difference between a hotel and cruise ship. Just put the card in the slot. Couldn't be easier and that's what it's there for.

I second that! Always use your door sign!

Lol some people on these boards can be so judgey-judgey. I'm sure NOBODY wants their room steward walking in on them regardless of what naughty things they are or aren't doing.

This thread is a good reminder to use the card.