Think you have privacy in your cabin? - THINK AGAIN

TheSavvyTraveler

We are recently back from a cruise on Sapphire Princess. On the third night of the cruise, still suffering from jet lag, we ate an early dinner and went to bed by 8PM, locking the door with the deadbolt lock.

Imagine our shock and horror when a short time later, after a brief knock at the door, the cabin attendant OPENED THE LOCKED DOOR as I was getting out of bed. He was delivering the "Princess Patter" (tomorrow's activities schedule). When I asked him to leave it outside in the mail slot he insisted it had to be put inside the cabin and proceeded to come in all the way to the vanity.

I think most, if not all, travelers would expect that engaging the dead bolt lock on a door should give you complete security and privacy when you are in your room.

The following morning we had conversations with the cabin attendant, supervisors, and the Customer Services Director, Helen Kimber. As I recall, her first question was whether we had put the "Privacy" tag in the door. We had not. I would use a "Privacy" sign if I were trying to sleep at an odd hour, not at night after the room had been made-up for the night. My expectation is that a deadbolt lock will prevent entry. She acknowledged that cabin attendants' keys are all master keys that WILL OVERRIDE THE DEADBOLT LOCK. She said it was a corporate policy put in place after the Concordia disaster to give them access in case of emergency.

I suggested to her that there should be some notice to passengers, either posted on the door or published in the Princess Patter, advising them that the only thing they can do is put the "Privacy" sign in the door, that the deadbolt is ineffective. She was not receptive to that.

I asked her why they don't give the cabin attendants two separate keys: One key for all routine use that gives them access to the staterooms but does not override the deadbolt, and a second key that is an emergency master key that will override the deadbolt. She just kept stating that the way it is (being able to override the deadbolt) is their policy.

In talking with fellow passengers I found that others had had similar incidents. One lady a few cabins down from us (but with a different cabin attendant) had a crew member enter on two different days, and was mostly undressed each time. (Think about it- If you are in the shower you would not hear someone knocking at the door.) I also observed a "near miss" when a cabin attendant knocked several times at a door and just as he was ready to put the key in the door he called out "Mrs. _____, are you in there?" and she replied.

I fail to understand why Princess would embrace a policy that causes embarrassment for both the passengers and the crew when simply having two keys could allow for safety and privacy.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

The cabin steward always tells me to put the privacy tag in the door if I don't want him coming in. Same thing for hotels. I've had maids unlock the door and walk in many times when I've failed to put the Do Not Disturb sign on. No difference between a hotel and cruise ship. Just put the card in the slot. Couldn't be easier and that's what it's there for.

I completely agree that this is unacceptable. I would think that Security might need an override for the case of an emergency, but the number of people who can enter your cabin without your permission while you are inside the cabin should be a very limited number. I must think on this and see if I can come up with some solution like a chair in front of the door or something when I am in my cabin. At least make it a bit difficult. This rule must have been made by a man. If I was naked in my cabin after showering, I would be mortified and terrified to have someone enter my room when the deadbolt is secured.

Pam, I thought most of the time, the hotels have a chain or a a deadbolt that cannot be undone with a generic key card. I could be wrong. Or maybe I stay in a lower class of hotel where people are more concerned with security!

Privacy tags are great until they get stolen by obnoxious teenagers. I have had tags stolen or flipped to the make up room side (on ships that have those) on at least 3 different cruises. :mad:

it is totally unacceptable for a cabin attendant to enter if the deadbolt is locked, unless there is a reason to think that you are sick or dead in your cabin

Whew ... Based on the title I thought this was going to be another thread claiming spy cameras had been placed in each cabin! :eek:

I'm glad you posted this information as while as Pam says it is the same in hotels, we all should be aware and use the privacy cards. Thanks!

I'm also glad the stewards can get into the room even if the deadbolt is locked for emergency reasons.

I suppose future builds might not even have deadbolts although they are useful to prop your door open if you are expecting an imminent visitor or hauling multiple suitcases in or out the door.

In most states there are rules/laws about deadbolts on hotel doors. Keys/cards for guests do not open the deadbolt from the outside. This is to prevent someone that stayed the previous night getting into your room. The houskeeping staff pretty much always has access with or without the deadbolt engaged.

Sorry it happened to you, OP. Learning experience! Always use the DND sign --- and if you are REALLY doing something naughty, slide a chair or suitcase next to the door. When they come in and hit something it generally gives you a minute or two.

Privacy tags are great until they get stolen by obnoxious teenagers. I have had tags stolen or flipped to the make up room side (on ships that have those) on at least 3 different cruises. :mad:

it is totally unacceptable for a cabin attendant to enter if the deadbolt is locked, unless there is a reason to think that you are sick or dead in your cabin

Good point. Or they can get knocked off the door and then the steward has no idea what was intended.

I wonder if they could have the cards programmed that on the first try it won't open the door if the deadbolt is engaged, but if the steward tries the card again within say 15 seconds, it will over-ride the deadbolt.

But to barge in saying the Patter had to be inside seems fishy to me. I am just off the CB, and nothing was left inside - everything was in the "mail slot" next to the door, so it's obviously not a fleetwide thing.

I totally see your point. But, on the other hand, it has been to my benefit that the cabin steward had that key. One time I had my hands full and my son was in the shower with the deadbolt on and I could not get in the room without creating a mess. Our wonderful CS swooped in to save the day with his master key.

We keep the do not disturb sign in place at all times unless we are out because sometimes we just like to kick back and watch movies and don't want the room serviced. We are super low maintenance cruisers.

I totally see your point. But, on the other hand, it has been to my benefit that the cabin steward had that key. One time I had my hands full and my son was in the shower with the deadbolt on and I could not get in the room without creating a mess. Our wonderful CS swooped in to save the day with his master key.

We keep the do not disturb sign in place at all times unless we are out because sometimes we just like to kick back and watch movies and don't want the room serviced. We are super low maintenance cruisers.

Occasionally we'll have a night in and just order a pizza /watch a movie. Even with a tag on the door, the steward will still knock and ask if everything is OK...need towels, etc. Is it a requirement that stewards service all rooms each night? (Normally we'd be out at dinner when this is done).

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this, as I find that it's a bit of a bother having to get up and answer the door to him/her.

Occasionally we'll have a night in and just order a pizza /watch a movie. Even with a tag on the door, the steward will still knock and ask if everything is OK...need towels, etc. Is it a requirement that stewards service all rooms each night? (Normally we'd be out at dinner when this is done).

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this, as I find that it's a bit of a bother having to get up and answer the door to him/her.

Actually, it is a requirement to service the cabins twice each day unless you specifically tell the steward to skip it. Also they are required to wait until 2 pm if the door has the DND sign on it. Then they have to notify a supervisor that they couldn't get into the cabin. This is to prevent late "sleepers" from claiming the cabin wasn't serviced.

If we are staying in, we just let the room steward know he/she does not need to make up the room and then put up the privacy card. They will usually ask if we need anything....towels, ice etc.

:rolleyes: This can and does happen and not just by teenagers.

LuLu

~~~~

If we are staying in, we just let the room steward know he/she does not need to make up the room and then put up the privacy card. They will usually ask if we need anything....towels, ice etc.

So you would need to phone or locate him in the hallway in advance? Sounds fine and it's good to know the room service policy as well.

Interesting. At NCL, the cabin stewards had key cards that would not override the deadbolt. And very few "hard keys" that would override the bolt, or open the lock when the batteries went dead were issued to very senior officers and supervisors. When an emergency happened, the deck evacuation teams would send one member to the HD's office to get the master keys for that deck, and the crew would then use them to check cabins. I can see, however, as with the Concordia, if an emergency is not declared, the keys may not be distributed in time.

I agree that Princess policy should be that nobody enters the room if the deadbolt is on. The deadbolt should be as much a sign to the steward as the 'Privacy' card is. As others have noted, the Privacy card is easily flipped or removed. The deadbolt cannot be changed by some random person wandering the halls.

If Princess does not have some way for the steward to ascertain if the deadbolt is on from the outside, they need to do so ASAP. It may be that the steward won't know until they try their card, but if the deadbolt is on, I am pretty sure the clunk it makes is solid enough that the steward could hear it turning. If that happens, the steward should simply walk away without entering the room, the main door will relock when the green light goes out.

Now that I know the deadbolt can be opened with the regular passcard the steward uses, I will make certain I discuss this with my room stewards in the future.

I find the response by Helen Kimber to be ineffective. If she and Princess expect us to constantly be changing our door cards back and forth and using the Privacy side whenever we are in our rooms I certainly hope she understands the impact this will have on the stewards to provide service to those same rooms, especially when they are so frequently tampered with.

Edited by cherylandtk

I always thought the deadbolt in a hotel or on the cruise meant no one could come in. Actually, this really concerns me. What is the point of even having a deadbolt if it is overridden by the staff? We do have a habit of using the do not disturb signs, but when my husband is not in the cabin or hotel room, I always use the deadbolt. I do understand the need to get in the cabin as a poster said, if they suspect someone is dead or unconscious, but to deliver a Patter? Never heard of such a thing. That was just downright weird. They would have heard my screams of fright all over the ship if a steward came into our cabin when it was deadbolted...bet they'd never do that again to me lol:D

OP states that they did not put the "privacy sign" out .

Incident would not have occurred and this posting wouldn't exist .

We don't use the privacy sign when we go to bed. We deadbolt the door and put the sign out when we think it would be a time the steward would normally come in, such as to make up the cabin or turn down the bed. We never would have thought it was necessary at night when we're sleeping or if the bed has already been turned down and we're spending the evening in the cabin. This is all news to me....but now that I know, trust me, it will be there all the time except when we leave the cabin.

Having been the victim of a 'Privacy' sign turned over to 'Service Please', I am not sure whether I will leave the sign in the door overnight or not. All of you who seem to think this is a simple fix may think differently once someone walks in on you because your Privacy sign was flipped over.

Interesting. I always thought "service please" sign meant for them to service the room. Now, I've always deadbolted my door and put the "privacy please" sign out and never had any issues. But, I suppose, some unruly kids/drunks, etc. could turn it over. I guess it's a good idea always to wear underwear!

I always put the 'privacy' sign up if I am showering, napping or getting dressed. It's easy and effective. I don't know how I knew, but I did know that the room steward's keycard overrides the dead bolt. I've only had a steward walk in on me once, and that was on HAL, where I did have the dead bolt on. So Princess isn't the only line to do this.

One word of warning though, if you have the 'privacy' card on your door, room service will not deliver, even if you requested delivery. I forgot and left it up and opened the door to a note telling me to call if I wanted to try delivery again.

I have no problem with my steward having access to my cabin. With the exception of HAL, I have never had a steward walk in on me. Yet.