A tale of travel insurance and Europe.

jackretired

Just about every U.S. hospital provides gowns and ice. It is a question of what we are accustomed to. If we have always experienced that, it becomes what we expect.

To add to that: The provision of hospital gowns happened in Vancouver, Canada, too. The staff in hospital there thought it rather odd that my DH chose to wear his own nightshirt, rather than theirs. In the daytime, he wore t-shirt and shorts. He preferred to not have his backside exposed, as happens with those hospital gowns!

From personal observation, in the UK, Australia and NZ, patients provide their own nightwear in hospital (except when going into the operating theatre), although there are gowns (and sometimes pajamas) available for emergency use.

We always find it strange when we watch US hospital dramas on TV - to us, to wear an open-backed gown seems like a loss of dignity.

Different cultures, different expectations.

Probably, in the 70's it was much the same as anywhere else;) My son spent much time in hospital in the UK in those days, and the cadiac care was top notch. Where I live now we've gone backwards, at least in my local area hospitals. Private and semi-private rooms seem to no longer exist, it's usually 4-bed rooms, and even worse - men and woman together. I hate that.

It seems to depend on which hospital and which ward you end up in. I was recently on the cardiac ward at the Vancouver General Hospital after having bypass surgery, and all of the rooms on that ward were private. My brother, though, when he was recently in Burnaby General, was in a 3 bed room with one empty bed, and a woman in another bed. It did seem a little strange.

Edited by luvcruisn'

To add to that: The provision of hospital gowns happened in Vancouver, Canada, too. The staff in hospital there thought it rather odd that my DH chose to wear his own nightshirt, rather than theirs. In the daytime, he wore t-shirt and shorts. He preferred to not have his backside exposed, as happens with those hospital gowns!

From personal observation, in the UK, Australia and NZ, patients provide their own nightwear in hospital (except when going into the operating theatre), although there are gowns (and sometimes pajamas) available for emergency use.

We always find it strange when we watch US hospital dramas on TV - to us, to wear an open-backed gown seems like a loss of dignity.

Different cultures, different expectations.

People don't walk around with their backsides hanging out. :D

..... No matter how they seem to show that on tv. :eek:

They wear two gowns when they get out of their beds.

The first is worn with the open back and then a second is put on with the opening in the front. Thus, front and back are covered. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

As I said - different cultures, different expectations. Are those open-back gowns just for the convenience of the doctors, or is it that people prefer not to have to organise getting nightwear washed?

I prefer to take a few pretty nightdresses (chosen with armhole/sleeves wide enough to accommodate drips etc) - I find it's good for my morale and makes me feel more like an individual.

Sorry to wander off-topic, but I find it interesting.

They wear two gowns when they get out of their beds.

The first is worn with the open back and then a second is put on with the opening in the front. Thus, front and back are covered. ;)

Depending on what the medical condition, many patients wear their own nightgowns, PJ,s. while in the hospital.

Beg to differ but they do. As an ER nurse I am constantly covering up patients bums as they set off down the hall, some people don't seem to realise what they are showing:D

And yes in the UK it is expected that people provide their own nightwear, kleenex and washcloths at least it was when I did my nurse training in the UK - not that I would ever use wahscloths and towels provided by the hospital:eek:

Terry

Edited by boone2

Beg to differ but they do. As an ER nurse I am constantly covering up patients bums as they set off down the hall, some people don't seem to realise what they are showing:D

And yes in the UK it is expected that people provide their own nightwear, kleenex and washcloths at least it was when I did my nurse training in the UK - not that I would ever use wahscloths and towels provided by the hospital:eek:

Terry

Good Grief!!! :D

I can empathize and say that I was kicked off the ship in Monte Carlo on Princess 2007 - it's the port agent that is hired by the cruise line that facillitates (sic) most of what is arranged - and in my case also provided language translation. I was admitted against my will to Princess Grace Hosipital for 3 days... 3 LONG days of refusing an exploratory look-see - the port agent came every day to assist - wonderful people - wonderful wonderful port agent - bad experience - but bottom line - even with insurance travel and CIGNA - the hospital REFUSED it... said American insurance companies don't pay - well... I couldn't exactly argue. They did however give me 2 days of unlimited calls (intentional or not) - you just needed to know how to make an international call - he he - I can't imagine the cost as I was on the phone ALOT to family and AMEX and insurance etc... (AMEX was also awesome).. My experience - travel insurance or not - have an empty charge card - it was 660 EU / day in 2007 - I was completely reimbursed after I got home - I arranged my own transport via airlines rather than via insurance because DH is a pilot - otherwise I agree w/ poster - the insurance was looking ominous in terms of rebooking as they were wanting to book me in several segments rather than direct... The hospital was only trying to do what it felt was in line and best - but seriously was not a comfortable situation - just protecting the robe provided from being pinched was an issue.. Overall, I had no intentions of having a strange Dr. do something I didn't quite understand and certainly sorting out who was paying for what was simply too stressful on top of a ruined cruise and scary medical situation. Overall - it was NOT as bad as it sounds... it was just very stressful - I credit the port agent with being the most incredible, caring person... and one that now knows perhaps more about me than my DH... YIKES! I owe him a 1000 thank yous...

2 weeks ago I had partial knee replacement at Burnaby General hospital and I was there for 2 nights. I can't say enough good things about the hospital and the staff. Even the food was amazingly good. I love our Canadian health system. I had exemplary care from a great surgeon, nurses and physio department. I am always amazed by the nay sayers in the US who are afraid of our system. Other than paying my BC medical contributions every month, which are negligible, I never paid a cent for my stay. I also have extended medical insurance through my work which I never needed to use.

Nicola

2 weeks ago I had partial knee replacement at Burnaby General hospital and I was there for 2 nights. I can't say enough good things about the hospital and the staff. Even the food was amazingly good. I love our Canadian health system. I had exemplary care from a great surgeon, nurses and physio department. I am always amazed by the nay sayers in the US who are afraid of our system. Other than paying my BC medical contributions every month, which are negligible, I never paid a cent for my stay. I also have extended medical insurance through my work which I never needed to use.

Nicola

just out of curiosity how long was the time between it was determined that you needed the knee replacement and the surgery took place?

A friend of mine near Toronto had to wait 8 months for a hernia operation. My son in law's mother has been waiting for shoulder surgery for 4 months and has another 2 to go before her surgery date in Victoria.

As I said - different cultures, different expectations. Are those open-back gowns just for the convenience of the doctors, or is it that people prefer not to have to organise getting nightwear washed?

As a frequent flyer in the hospital this year, I can tell you that the gowns they provide have snaps that allow easy access to the patient. So depending on the condition or treatments the gown is a better option. I have pajamas that I bought specifically to wear there that button down the front so that they can have easy access to my port and keep me hooked up on IVs. When I have had heart monitors on it was easier to use the gowns they provide since they had holes and pockets that were designed to hold the equipment for me.

just out of curiosity how long was the time between it was determined that you needed the knee replacement and the surgery took place?

A friend of mine near Toronto had to wait 8 months for a hernia operation. My son in law's mother has been waiting for shoulder surgery for 4 months and has another 2 to go before her surgery date in Victoria.

We do have wait times but if you become urgent you go to the top of the list.

I was on a six month (approx) wait for gall bladder surgery when it was determined that I couldn't wait any longer. I had my surgery a few hours later.

Nicola

It's not the Canadian system some are skeptical about but the circus that politicians are trying to create here!

To that patient who had to wait that long, it didn't matter why...... all that mattered was he was still waiting. At least, that is how I would feel. If they closed a clinic, they took away the chance for a prompt hernia surgery.

To that patient who had to wait that long, it didn't matter why...... all that mattered was he was still waiting. At least, that is how I would feel. If they closed a clinic, they took away the chance for a prompt hernia surgery.

Since I'm a frequent medical patient now from cancer it's changed my perspective on a lot of things like this. Optional surgeries are just that and should be scheduled around convenience. I currently am suspected to have a hernia (will confirm on Tuesday) and since I'm not a good candidate for surgery right now (platelets are too low and so is my hemoglobin) it will have to wait since it is definitely not an essential needed right now surgery. A friend of mine is having rotator cuff surgery in Michigan and he had to wait 4-5 months for it, we have waits like this in the US just like in other countries. His surgery is not scheduled until January.

Edited by sherilyn70

I agree with Sherilyn. My surgery was elective. This means a wait as it is not urgent. Any medical situation which is serious in Canada is dealt with immediately, just the same as in any other country. Having a wait list is not a bad thing. We could easily pay and come to the States for immediate surgery, but why do so if you can have the same surgery in Canada, albeit with a bit of a wait, and not pay anything other than our basic medical coverage. I think our system is very fair and is a great relief that you know you will get great service and not have huge medical bills looming over you for something not serious....but important to me. I Googled partial knee replacement in the Us and the cost was through the roof!

Nicola

While on a pre cruise week in Genoa two weeks ago, I ran for the Hop On bus and when my wonky knee collapsed crashed head first into a parked cab while on a day trip to Milan.

An ambulance rushed me to hospital where after a Cat Scan and hand x rays was kept for 24 hours observation. I was concerned with the sanitation or lack thereof even in my drug induced fog. We were fortunate and an older Italian doctor spoke French and so was able to explain the situation and tell us we could continue on to Rome to begin our b2b cruise, but the excruciating pain radiating from my elbows to my finger tips simple could not be accurately communicated.

I had no use of my hands and since the pain continued we knew we had to get home. Our insurance insisted we return to a Genoa hospital for the paper work -- it was now the weekend -- but we knew we had to bite the bullet and get home. Our one way return tickets in steerage were almost five times the original ticket price.

Here's the positive -- in just 12 hours in our Ottawa hospital I had two CT Scans, multiple x rays on first my hands and then my wrists and an MRI. We left with a clear diagnosis of a spinal contusion and torn wrist ligaments. Armed with appropriate medications for nerve pain, though absolutely exhausted (it was three flights -- Genoa to Munich to Frankfurt to home) we gave thanks filled with appreciation for the Canadian medical system. Our only bill will be for $23 for a splint which later replaced a heavy cast.

I too have waited months for non urgent surgeries BUT I know our system works in true emergency/urgent situations.

Armed with all the necessary paperwork, we're now 100% confident our private travel medical and trip cancellation insurance will foot the bills. By the way the Italian bill was only 600 euros paid by Visa.

I suspect that we have nothing equal to the very top American few or private hospitals, but as a proud Canadian, I'm content with our system of universal coverage and confident that excellent care is available in a crisis.

Ruth

I agree with Sherilyn. My surgery was elective. This means a wait as it is not urgent. Any medical situation which is serious in Canada is dealt with immediately, just the same as in any other country. Having a wait list is not a bad thing. We could easily pay and come to the States for immediate surgery, but why do so if you can have the same surgery in Canada, albeit with a bit of a wait, and not pay anything other than our basic medical coverage. I think our system is very fair and is a great relief that you know you will get great service and not have huge medical bills looming over you for something not serious....but important to me. I Googled partial knee replacement in the Us and the cost was through the roof!

Nicola

Adding my 2 cents worth.... last year our cabin neighbours (the best we ever had!:D) asked how my DH came to be disabled. We explained it was an accident (fell off a ladder) and the subsequent surgeries. Their response (they live San Diego) was Omigosh, we would be bankrupt if we had anything like that happen. Kind of made me feel grateful for what we have here.

Adding my 2 cents worth.... last year our cabin neighbours (the best we ever had!:D) asked how my DH came to be disabled. We explained it was an accident (fell off a ladder) and the subsequent surgeries. Their response (they live San Diego) was Omigosh, we would be bankrupt if we had anything like that happen. Kind of made me feel grateful for what we have here.

Just for the sake of presenting a fuller picture...........

Those who have adequate health insurance and that is tens of millions of Americans, we, too, leave the hospital with no bill. I had two open heart surgeries at one of the finest heart center hospitals in U.S. and paid $5.00 total. In the end, I received a check for that $5.00 as it was billed in error.

Of course, anyone who has a tv or newspaper knows healthcare in U.S. is undergoing change 'as we speak'. The future remains to be seen.

Edited by sail7seas

Those who have adequate health insurance and that is tens of millions of Americans, we, too, leave the hospital with no bill.

This is very true. I have good health insurance (through my job). I paid a total of $3600 this year out of pocket for $400,000 worth (so far) of services this year. Next year my expense goes up a small amount to $3800. My insurance costs me just under $700/year.

Edited by sherilyn70

We had travel insurance.

We left hospital with no bill, not sure what will happen.

While I was in hospital, DW was put up in cheap hotel.

Minimal support from HAL.

Insurance company said save receipts.

After I was released from hospital, the insurance company took three days to get us on a plane.

The arrangements to pick us up at hotel was good and prepaid.

The flight arrangements were wonderful. Business class with my leg up for me. DW was two rows behind me and could also put her feet up. Wheel chair waiting at every airport.

When we arrived in Miami, once through customs, meet by a driver.

The driver was prepaid and drove us from the imam airport to our car in Ft Lauderdale.

We had been up around 24 hours and checked into hotel to get some sleep before the long drive home.

Then the travel insurance company called and asked if we had made it ok and now that you are in US the coverage has ended.

Not sure what to do with the stacks of receipts.

I don't know if it is okay to ask, but I will. Did you purchase travel insurance through HAL or independently from another travel/cruise insurance? I ask, because we are taking a cruise in two months and purchased travel insurance. I had been told that I only needed to show the insurance card and to immediately call the travel insurance company for them to start a file.