A tale of travel insurance and Europe.

jackretired

Awful story, but I'd like to know - which country? Europe is made up lots of different countries with very different standards, but many of those countries are ahead of N. America in health care.

The port was Palermo, Italy.

I'm sorry..I didn't read through all the posts but if no one else has mentioned being thankful this holiday season for the outstanding healthcare we have in the US then let me be the first! I am glad you are doing much better. I have been an RN for many years, and although I grouse a bit about all the checks and hoops we have to go through, it reassures me that we have really good care here! The system is by no means without its problems but the standards are so much higher than many places around the world. I will proudly bear my red scaly hands from washing my hands a million times a day and my aching feet and back from caring for my patients for 13 hours non stop, knowing that It could be so much worse. I'm glad you are safely home and that you are able to travel again soon.

Thank you for your service. Folks should remember this tale when someone tell them we need to have a medical system more like Europe.

Thank you for your service. Folks should remember this tale when someone tell them we need to have a medical system more like Europe.

Right. Sure. Like all of Europe has hospitals like the one described here. Not! I can tell you the ones we have are nothing like this at all. So don't judge all countries based on this one horror experience.

Edited by monina01

Jack, I'm glad you posted on the main forum. And I'm just happy you got home safely, and that you did have good insurance. Don't lose those receipts. And of course, more bills may come in! I'm sorry HAL wasn't more helpful, I'm sure it was a great worry for your DW.

Government healthcare at it finest.

Italy has a private/public health care system.... sort of what can happen here if people dont wake up to what is going on with healthcare.

In Italy many hospitals are state owned and provide free service to residents, private hospitals are available and charge for service. Usually, but not always, there is a difference in quality associated with private vs free hospitals.

http://www.italytravelescape.com/Health%20system.htm

I agree with bashing public health in Italy after reading the OP's story, but when I was traveling in Berlin, German, I had the unfortunate experience to scrape myself on the foot with something (I say something, because I didn't notice anything really, other than a little scratch of blood on the side of my foot (I was wearing sandals). Within a few days, it had become so infected that I had to go to a public/free, state-run hospital. I would compare their service with what I receive here at home, if not better. The doctors were understanding, all spoke perfect, clear English (unlike some of my medical professionals here) and I was "housed" in a clean, private room for 3 days. When I checked out finally, I was not presented with a bill (I also had private travel insurance) and have not heard from them since (it's been 2 years). Oh, and I was given a full 2-weeks supply of drugs for my foot so that I could continue on my vacation. Again, this was NOT a private hospital. I think that it entirely depends on the country and their healthcare system.

Right. Sure. Like all of Europe has hospitals like the one described here. Not! I can tell you the ones we have are nothing like this at all. So don't judge all countries based on this one horror experience.

If you read more carefully you will note that I said that the US has standards better than many places, not all other places! By the OP's story we can see that. When I was in nursing school I spent a summer working and studying in England. The care was very good and their education top notch.That being said, at the time (1970's) most of their hospitals cared for patients in large wards. They were just beginning to build new facilities where I was that had semi private rooms ( 4 people per room), and central distribution of diets instead of having it dished out from a large canteen like cart by the hospital sister. Good care doesn't have to be fancy. In our society there is often a sense of entitlement for services that other nations could only dream of. We are celebrating our Thanksgiving Day tomorrow in the US. I am merely expressing gratitude for the blessings of the healthcare that we do have in the US. Never said a word about other countries in Europe. Be well! :)

If you read more carefully you will note that I said that the US has standards better than many places, not all other places! By the OP's story we can see that. When I was in nursing school I spent a summer working and studying in England. The care was very good and their education top notch.That being said, at the time (1970's) most of their hospitals cared for patients in large wards. They were just beginning to build new facilities where I was that had semi private rooms ( 4 people per room), and central distribution of diets instead of having it dished out from a large canteen like cart by the hospital sister. Good care doesn't have to be fancy. In our society there is often a sense of entitlement for services that other nations could only dream of. We are celebrating our Thanksgiving Day tomorrow in the US. I am merely expressing gratitude for the blessings of the healthcare that we do have in the US. Never said a word about other countries in Europe. Be well! :)

Probably, in the 70's it was much the same as anywhere else;) My son spent much time in hospital in the UK in those days, and the cadiac care was top notch. Where I live now we've gone backwards, at least in my local area hospitals. Private and semi-private rooms seem to no longer exist, it's usually 4-bed rooms, and even worse - men and woman together. I hate that.

Hi

I got sick a few yeas ago in New York. I was in a cab passing a hospital I was with my brother and sister in law. It was a birthday gift for me. I got sick in cab. My brother told cab driver to go to that hospital, The Cab drivr wanted to go to another one. but my brother insited on going to one we passing. BIG MISTAKE. It was Bellive Hosp. I was a star and the doctors we falling all over me. 3 chest xrays I stopthe 4th when they failed to get it right. I was in er and the only one not in handcuffs. the horrow I went thru I would not wish on anyone. And had to demand I be released the next day. was in a room with women from jail and junkies screamig all night. I asked for dinner well lets say I esd eaten, straving dog would not eat it

Mary

Probably, in the 70's it was much the same as anywhere else;) My son spent much time in hospital in the UK in those days, and the cadiac care was top notch. Where I live now we've gone backwards, at least in my local area hospitals. Private and semi-private rooms seem to no longer exist, it's usually 4-bed rooms, and even worse - men and woman together. I hate that.

I was in East Sussex. I loved it!

One of the messages here is that if the cruise line decides it can not provide adequate care, it may drop you at a hospital that is even less able to provide adequate care.

As for Italy, is it still customary to tip nurses to obtain proper care?

One of the messages here is that if the cruise line decides it can not provide adequate care, it may drop you at a hospital that is even less able to provide adequate care.

:eek: Seriously?

I've never heard of such.

Startwin, I see that you are from BC.

In May, my DH was admitted to St Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, with heart failure - I had to call 911.

We are not Canadians and we had to pay up front for treatment, until our travel insurance kicked in. It took until Day 4 to get this actioned.

The hospital building itself left much to be desired, but we cannot speak too highly of the medical and nursing care that DH received in the cardiology and medical units. They literally saved his life.

Once our claim was accepted, our travel insurance picked up all hospital costs. We saved all our receipts and were later reimbursed for all our expenses, including Business Class air fare back home to NZ.

We discovered later that the insurance company paid out $93,000 in total for DH's illness.

Sincere thanks to British Columbia's health system!

And a recommendation to all travellers, to make sure that they have adequate travel insurance.

When my wife fell down in Venice, over a construction site, she was taken by Ambulance Boat to a new, modern hospital building on an island across from the City Cemetery (nice choice). The triage station took her info and she was seen in a very few minutes, They were pleased that I had a "PenDrive" with her medical info. Discussion was in broken English and my New York Italian. She was taken to X-Ray and I was taken to a bench outside the Orthopedic guys office. She was accompanied by two charming EMT/Nurses who attended her closely, even took her to the bathroom. Happily there was no break so he prescribed some pain medication and later they arranged for an ambulance boat to take us back to the Lido where we weere staying. Total cost ZERO

Hi

I got sick a few yeas ago in New York. I was in a cab passing a hospital I was with my brother and sister in law. It was a birthday gift for me. I got sick in cab. My brother told cab driver to go to that hospital' date=' The Cab drivr wanted to go to another one. but my brother insited on going to one we passing. BIG MISTAKE. It was Bellive Hosp. I was a star and the doctors we falling all over me. 3 chest xrays I stopthe 4th when they failed to get it right. I was in er and the only one not in handcuffs. the horrow I went thru I would not wish on anyone. And had to demand I be released the next day. was in a room with women from jail and junkies screamig all night. I asked for dinner well lets say I esd eaten, straving dog would not eat it

Mary[/quote']

Moral of this story: The cab driver knew of what he was talking. New York University Langone Hospital was a few blocks away.

Startwin, I see that you are from BC.

In May, my DH was admitted to St Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, with heart failure - I had to call 911.

We are not Canadians and we had to pay up front for treatment, until our travel insurance kicked in. It took until Day 4 to get this actioned.

The hospital building itself left much to be desired, but we cannot speak too highly of the medical and nursing care that DH received in the cardiology and medical units. They literally saved his life.

Once our claim was accepted, our travel insurance picked up all hospital costs. We saved all our receipts and were later reimbursed for all our expenses, including Business Class air fare back home to NZ.

We discovered later that the insurance company paid out $93,000 in total for DH's illness.

Sincere thanks to British Columbia's health system!

And a recommendation to all travellers, to make sure that they have adequate travel insurance.

So glad that everything worked out well for your DH. As to St. Pauls - believe it or not we are fighting to save the building, it is quite unique! However, the cardiac care is - in my opinion - the finest anywhere in the world and the surgical cardiac ICU has incredible staff. It's my son's second home - he lives close to the hospital while he awaits his heart transplant following multiple O/H surgeries in his life, but is not in urgent need at this moment.

Your story highlites the reasons why travel insurance is a must. You just never know what may happen. My DH once ended up in hospital in the UK while we were on vacation, with a minor stroke. Quick action there sent him home healthy. Our travel insurance covered all our changed flights as well.

When my wife fell down in Venice, over a construction site, she was taken by Ambulance Boat to a new, modern hospital building on an island across from the City Cemetery (nice choice). The triage station took her info and she was seen in a very few minutes, They were pleased that I had a "PenDrive" with her medical info. Discussion was in broken English and my New York Italian. She was taken to X-Ray and I was taken to a bench outside the Orthopedic guys office. She was accompanied by two charming EMT/Nurses who attended her closely, even took her to the bathroom. Happily there was no break so he prescribed some pain medication and later they arranged for an ambulance boat to take us back to the Lido where we weere staying. Total cost ZERO

Not quite ZERO. We in the EU paid for it:cool:

Yes to #1.

Do not know to #2

Scary hospital.

No soap in restroom

No towels in restroom

No gowns

Few wheelchairs

You must bring almost everything.

Almost no seats anywhere.

Two people per room.

Vendors wandering the rooms and halls selling all sorts of things

....hair cuts, shaves, Angels, flowers, etc.

.... But no soap, nothing to drink, nothing to eat, etc.

NO ice.

No soda, but a vending machine for lattes.

No yellow lines to follow.

Patients are moved from one part of the hospital to another via ambulance

....as many as 8 per ambulance. One transfer I made was in the jump

....seat and the old man on the gurney looked almost dead.

This is a teaching hospital in a city of one million.

98% of the doctors are young and female. No old experience here.

No wi-fi

Call button has two hour delay built into it.

No electric adapters.

No CPAP machines.

One electrical outlet per bed.

I was given a big bottle of water every day, and not much else.

Breakfast was a spoon, four small pieces of something like Melba Toast and a small glass of HOT milk. No eggs, no protein, no fruit, no juice, no selection.

Lunch and dinner a little better than breakfast, but no selection and did not consider your condition.

No TV or radio.

The whole place was COLD. Even the interior walls.

Many windows left open (cold and flies).

The rest room had a smell that almost kept you out of it.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I am however a bit surprised to read that you would expect to find gowns or ice in the hospital. I dont't think that is very common in European hospitals. Also, 2 persons in a room is normal in The Netherlands. In fact, often you will find 4 persons in a room...

Wifi is also not common, in most hotels you even have to pay for it. However... things are changing....

Just about every U.S. hospital provides gowns and ice. It is a question of what we are accustomed to. If we have always experienced that, it becomes what we expect.

I think this may be an interpretation issue - the poster may be thinking of a different definition of "gown" - as in pyjama-type sleepwear. The gown as we know it is provided in European hospitals as well.