New MSC Divina traveller app

Norwegian Cruiser 73

MSCUS a, do you know if there are any plans to introduce this great service to other ships in the fleet?

Yes, the new Traveler Web App is being tested on MSC Divina and is planned to be released fleet wide in the future.

Best,

I've now read that MSC said we wouldn't have to pay for the new app and it didn't require internet package...Really newbie with this!

I thought we had to put our phones on Airplane Mode and shut off data roaming while sailing. If not, we would risk getting possible incoming voice message charges by our phone carrier. If that is correct, then how would we be able to put our web browser on to use new MSC app?

I'm probably missing something here.

Thanks for any clarification.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

We'd recommend turning off the cellular data feature on your cell phone. This way, you still have access to WiFi (required to connect to the app), but can not receive any text messages or phone calls.

Best,

Did I read somewhere that there was a forum or private message component with the app? The ship is so huge, would love to be able to keep up with fellow cruisers. Will be sailing with Cruise to the Edge in April.

There is a chat feature on the Traveler Web App that allows you to chat and connect with others onboard.

Hope this helps!

There is a chat feature on the Traveler Web App that allows you to chat and connect with others onboard.

Hope this helps!

Hello MSCUSA and others- Without cell data activated, is there a free or affordable way to keep in touch with our teenagers while on board? We often find need to hail them for immediate updates and other changes of plan.

Hello MSCUSA and others- Without cell data activated, is there a free or affordable way to keep in touch with our teenagers while on board? We often find need to hail them for immediate updates and other changes of plan.

The Web Traveler App does not require cellular data. It uses the ships wifi and is completely free to use.

Best,

The Web Traveler App does not require cellular data. It uses the ships wifi and is completely free to use.

Best,

Yes. I understand. But aside from the chat function, is there a way to page or "hail" someone on board, immediately? So far, we have been forced to text(w/cell data) to page our teens, which gets a bit expensive on board ship @ nearly $1 per text sent...

Yes. I understand. But aside from the chat function, is there a way to page or "hail" someone on board, immediately? So far, we have been forced to text(w/cell data) to page our teens, which gets a bit expensive on board ship @ nearly $1 per text sent...

Hi Neptuno,

The chat feature of the Web Traveler App was created to help avoid having to text. You are also able to use the phones in your room to call other cabins.

Best,

• 2 months later...

MSC Cruise USA - I am trying to figure out if the new traveller app on the Divina will work for my family. We all have smart phones, either androids or iphone. I will be putting all the phones in airplane mode so as not to get any additional charges from my cell provider.

Will this app allow us to be able to chat with each other so if need be, I can find out where the kids are? :-) If so, how and when do we down load it on each phone?

We head out next week to get to the cruise on March 8th....really hoping this will solve my problem of being able to stay connected with the kids easily on the boat :-)

I have an app already installed on my phone called Ship Mate - MSC Cruises.....is that it?

Hope this helps!

MSC-

I was trying to download this app on my iPhone but after searching, nothing was found. Is the app only downloadable only while on board the ship?

Thanks!

MSC-

I was trying to download this app on my iPhone but after searching, nothing was found. Is the app only downloadable only while on board the ship?

Thanks!

Hi fp60,

The app is web-based and only available onboard, so it does not need to be downloaded. Once onboard, connect to the wifi and open up a new browser and you will be prompted to login.

Hope this helps!

Hi fp60,

The app is web-based and only available onboard, so it does not need to be downloaded. Once onboard, connect to the wifi and open up a new browser and you will be prompted to login.

Hope this helps!

MSC-

Most helpful! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

MSC -

when you say "connect to wifi" to download app.... how are you supposed to connect to wifi if you haven't PAID for a wifi package on board? If you CAN connect to wifi for FREE (ie. just to download and use this app) then you need to clarify that.... otherwise the traveller app won't be free at all!!!

ps, I completley understand how to turn my phone off and only use wifi... but your ship advertises that connecting to wifi costs money!!! Is there some system where wifi for this app is free but not other wifi? I think probably so, but this is what people are asking you

Edited by ladysnooty

The cruise app actually does work and is free. You sign in with a password on your cruise card and click on the app button. We were on the Divina on March 8th and used the app lots to leave messages for each other. It is not like texting or facebook messaging that you are alerted when you get a message, you have to log onto the app to check for new messages. But it worked well for us or the teens to leave messages as to where the other was if looking for them.

The only thing is the app does not always work.....most times it did but there was times where it also was not working. But overall I still found it very useful. Would love to see the ability in the future for same time type texting ability and alerting :-)

Sorry for any confusion. The app requires that you connect to the wifi network so that it knows you are on the ship, but you do not have to purchase a wifi package, so it is completely free. Once connected to the wifi, open up an internet browser and you will be prompted to login with the Internet ID you can find on your cruise card.

Regards,

MSC -

when you say "connect to wifi" to download app.... how are you supposed to connect to wifi if you haven't PAID for a wifi package on board? If you CAN connect to wifi for FREE (ie. just to download and use this app) then you need to clarify that.... otherwise the traveller app won't be free at all!!!

ps, I completley understand how to turn my phone off and only use wifi... but your ship advertises that connecting to wifi costs money!!! Is there some system where wifi for this app is free but not other wifi? I think probably so, but this is what people are asking you

On any ship there is no charge to actually connect to their Wifi network. Just find the network and click connect. Your phone or computer will show that it's connected with the universal Wifi signal. The problem is you won't be able to do anything unless you have purchased an internet package and sign-on. If you try to download mail it won't happen, and if you try to connect to a website you will be directed to the cruise line's internal website to sign up for a package. Only after you sign up for a package and log on will you be able to access the internet.

This is true for MSC DIVINA as well, except that from their internal website where you would normally sign up for an internet package, you can also download their smartphone app at no charge and use it. You don't have to purchase an internet package for their app to work, but you do need to have your device connected to the shipboard wifi network (remember there is no charge to do that).

Hope this helps and attached are a few pictures of the app.

Ernie

13548289874_4a49788624_z.jpg

13548072793_88e9e36422_z.jpg

Yay for this app and thanks for the feedback about how it is working so far. Hoping the kinks will all be worked out soon and I'm sure it will be by the time I cruise Divina in October.....just want to check in with the teens, family and friends while we are all onboard

Edited by ioneblair

This is awesome. I am not the type to carry arround my daily, but a phone is habitually allways with us. Thanks MSC, for this new inovative idea. Looking forward to our first sailing with you in Oct.

This is awesome. I am not the type to carry arround my daily, but a phone is habitually allways with us. Thanks MSC, for this new inovative idea. Looking forward to our first sailing with you in Oct.

The only other ship I've been on with something similar is the new ROYAL PRINCESS. It was pretty cool on there as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can't access your shipboard account with the app until the last two days of the cruise.