Holland America changes carry on wine policy

quist100

I really think it is impossible for us to see any evidence of cruisers leaving HAL because of the new policy at this point. How are you going to gather your evidence? I only know of one poster who wanted to leave, but has a cruise booked. I was and am upset with the policy, but announced here that HAL hasn't lost me. I don't recall any others. When posters say they are leaving, I believe them---until I see their name on the future cruiser list!

I think we are going to get a bunch of new CC members here starting in mid February, after they find out about the policy. Most people sailing on HAL aren't on CC. Be prepared for lots of drama!

all I know as one doing the future cruise listings is that they seem to be way down. :o I think that is an indicator until itself.

Yes, I have seen lots of people post that they are looking for alternatives - and I don't blame them :)

Each to their own - for some people it's no big deal - for me the Westerdam Neptune Lounge is no big deal - and that thread has been going for a while.

I don't belittle it just as I don't think passengers who want to enjoy wines in great ports shouldn't be belittled.

Yes, people are switching and just a reminder - if you are a regular HAL poster, I am happy to post your bon voyage - you don't have to be on a HAL cruise - unless, of course, the job gets onerous :)

Edited by kazu

all I know as one doing the future cruise listings is that they seem to be way down. :o I think that is an indicator until itself.

Yes, I have seen lots of people post that they are looking for alternatives - and I don't blame them :)

Each to their own - for some people it's no big deal - for me the Westerdam Neptune Lounge is no big deal - and that thread has been going for a while.

I don't belittle it just as I don't think passengers who want to enjoy wines in great ports shouldn't be belittled.

Yes, people are switching and just a reminder - if you are a regular HAL poster, I am happy to post your bon voyage - you don't have to be on a HAL cruise - unless, of course, the job gets onerous :)

Not everyone participates in the future cruise listings. I've never done it myself. Frankly I'm surprised anyone does considering so many posters are freaked out about safety lately. I don't see many folks on this board bolting to other cruise lines. It remains to be seen if people will really leave. I don't think I'm belittling anyone but I know I've taken a lot of bruising for my opinion.

Edited by lorekauf

That would be me. By golly, it is there (locked).

I thought I saw it released a few months ago after several threads were terminated. Was I hallucinating?

With all this talk about wine, perhaps you were! LOL! It can make me dizzy....

You aren't are 4 or 5 star mariner are you?

No and, sadly I never will be. When we retired in June and realized that we had a lot more time to cruise we investigated other cruise lines--heretofore we had been pretty much committed to Princess. We found that HAL fit our needs quite well and were going to put them at the top of our list. No sooner had we booked our first cruise after that decision, when they changed their wine policy, so we switched again.

Ahhh, you certainly would be the first one to notice if the future cruises list is more sparse than previously. Good!!!!....even though we probably will continue to sail HAL occasionally, I hope their new policy comes back to bite them. I am so looking forward to February, when it goes into effect!

I think it will be a gradual effect, beginning after the end of January. You will not "see" people rushing to another cruise line, but somewhere down the road it will become evident that many have. Most long-time HAL cruisers book way in advance, often more than a year. Once those cruises are done, I think many may make different choices. It may not just be the wine policy, there are other negative factors that are often discussed on here. However, HAL does still have great itineraries - it remains to be seen if that will keep everyone coming back. Folks may continue to sail HAL, but maybe not as often.

Edited by startwin

Not everyone participates in the future cruise listings. I've never done it myself. Frankly I'm surprised anyone does considering so many posters are freaked out about safety lately. I don't see many folks on this board bolting to other cruise lines. It remains to be seen if people will really leave. I don't think I'm belittling anyone but I know I've taken a lot of bruising for my opinion.

I'm just going by the way the listings went in the past. This is a big sale time so we should be seeing big future cruise listings.

Honestly, it has been dropping - I realize everyone doesn't post there and it's not a poll but I see it as an indicator. I sincerely hope I am wrong ;)

I haven't deleted my sailings from my signature and don't plan to :)

I'm just going by the way the listings went in the past. This is a big sale time so we should be seeing big future cruise listings.

Honestly, it has been dropping - I realize everyone doesn't post there and it's not a poll but I see it as an indicator. I sincerely hope I am wrong ;)

I haven't deleted my sailings from my signature and don't plan to :)

The wine policy hasn't taken effect yet so I doubt that's the reason. I wish I had some holidays left and I'd be on a ship. We've got anther blizzard heading for us tomorrow. I'm sick of it already.

No and, sadly I never will be. When we retired in June and realized that we had a lot more time to cruise we investigated other cruise lines--heretofore we had been pretty much committed to Princess. We found that HAL fit our needs quite well and were going to put them at the top of our list. No sooner had we booked our first cruise after that decision, when they changed their wine policy, so we switched again.

So going by your past cruises. Hal is going to miss out on you sailing a transatlantic once every three years.

Hey... At least the bridge teacher is happy:cool:

So going by your past cruises. Hal is going to miss out on you sailing a transatlantic once every three years.

Hey... At least the bridge teacher is happy:cool:

If you look at our sailing patterns while we worked, you will see that we typically took about 4 cruises a year. Now that we are retired (hurray for us) we plan to do as ma y as we can, without interfering with our skiing or gardening, and we had just decided to start booking HAL cruises before there announcement. Actually, as soon as they first "implemented" the new policy in July, we called to cancel our October cruise, and were advised that the "implementation" was an error, so we took the cruise and loved it.

Since then, we have NOT booked several HAL cruises that we would have booked if they hadn't changed their policy. I suspect that there are probably other folks who have done, or will do the same.

If you look at our sailing patterns while we worked, you will see that we typically took about 4 cruises a year. Now that we are retired (hurray for us) we plan to do as ma y as we can, without interfering with our skiing or gardening, and we had just decided to start booking HAL cruises before there announcement. Actually, as soon as they first "implemented" the new policy in July, we called to cancel our October cruise, and were advised that the "implementation" was an error, so we took the cruise and loved it.

Since then, we have NOT booked several HAL cruises that we would have booked if they hadn't changed their policy. I suspect that there are probably other folks who have done, or will do the same.

don't worry about the poster above you. They seem to be of the opinion that HAL can afford to lose business and will pick it up somewhere else.

Glad they have a crystal ball. I think they are wrong and all business should be valued - but what do I know?

Edited by kazu

The wine policy hasn't taken effect yet so I doubt that's the reason. I wish I had some holidays left and I'd be on a ship. We've got anther blizzard heading for us tomorrow. I'm sick of it already.

We've even got snow forecast here:eek: Which means the whole of the lower mainland will grind to a halt once it gets to half an inch.... yep, good time for a cruise:D.

For me its not so much the new policy as the fact that the alternative is buying wine from HAL. Almost all the wine that HAL sells is fairly average recent vintage with hefty markup. I don't want to have to replace the lovely 1997 Barossa Valley Semillon I have waiting in my cellar with some 2011 wine off HALs list that they're askigng $50 for. When you consider all alcohol bought by the cruiselines is bought dutyfree that means their markup is even bigger than the equivalent at a restaurant on land. When I first started cruising years ago a drink was easily 50% less than the same drink on shore. Now, with the exception of cocktails, they are usually dearer. HALs new policy won't point blank stop me travelling with HAL again but it certainly will be a factor in the decision process when booking future cruises as it will probably add around $500 to the cost of a cruise for me.

I have to agree that the wines available on-board are less than stellar and generally over-priced. I'd willingly pay a pre-boarding corkage fee on all bottles I brought aboard (even those for veranda consumption) if I could bring what I wanted.

And I have no problem opening my own bottle of wine and pouring it all by myself in the MDR too (at least that way I'd actually get a glass of wine with dinner!)

It's been just over a year since our last HAL cruise and from what I've read here it seems the wine service has become even more dismal in the dining-room. I'm going to follow another poster's advice and let my server know that a glass of wine before I order dinner is going to be our routine. The earlier poster said that really improved the service!:D Hope that's true!

We've even got snow forecast here:eek: Which means the whole of the lower mainland will grind to a halt once it gets to half an inch.... yep, good time for a cruise:D.

We are supposed to get 2 feet today and tomorrow! I guess winter is here. February won't come too soon for me.

I was hoping when I saw this thread that HAL had had a change of heart about the new wine policy, since I set sail 3 days AFTER the change...boo.:mad:

I have to agree that the wines available on-board are less than stellar and generally over-priced. I'd willingly pay a pre-boarding corkage fee on all bottles I brought aboard (even those for veranda consumption) if I could bring what I wanted.

And I have no problem opening my own bottle of wine and pouring it all by myself in the MDR too (at least that way I'd actually get a glass of wine with dinner!)

It's been just over a year since our last HAL cruise and from what I've read here it seems the wine service has become even more dismal in the dining-room. I'm going to follow another poster's advice and let my server know that a glass of wine before I order dinner is going to be our routine. The earlier poster said that really improved the service!:D Hope that's true!

Bolding is mine - this has definitely worked for me - we normally do a wine package as that way the wine steward knows we are serious about our wine:D

I know I have read complaints on the boards about wine service, and, while service might be slow the first night - after we place our order and have our chat, the wine steward has always taken very good care of us :)

It is very rare for us to not have good wine service in MDR. I can't remember the last time we had any complaint about being able to order whatever bottle we wanted, have it delivered and poured promptly and our glasses refilled as appropriate. I don't know why we are so lucky but that has been our experience.

My complaint, if any, would be too often we see a wine on the list we'd like to order but are told it is out of stock.

I'd like to use that "trick" too but it doesn't work very well if you are sitting at a large table of people that you don't know. I don't think you'd be popular.

It is very rare for us to not have good wine service in MDR. I can't remember the last time we had any complaint about being able to order whatever bottle we wanted, have it delivered and poured promptly and our glasses refilled as appropriate. I don't know why we are so lucky but that has been our experience.

My complaint, if any, would be too often we see a wine on the list we'd like to order but are told it is out of stock.

You have been very lucky. It could be because you dine later. I'm generally in the 5:45 - 6:30 range and the service has not been stellar. There would be no reason for me to make this up if it had been good service.

You have been very lucky. It could be because you dine later. I'm generally in the 5:45 - 6:30 range and the service has not been stellar. There would be no reason for me to make this up if it had been good service.

I don't doubt you at all and hope you didn't think I implied that. :eek:

I don't doubt any here who say they have had poor wine service.... why would they say it if it wasn't true?

Perhaps you hit on the answer. We are always Traditional Main Dining at 8:00 and maybe that makes a difference? Service should be smooth and prompt for all but maybe there is some explanation for less prompt service at early seatings?

I don't doubt you at all and hope you didn't think I implied that. :eek:

I don't doubt any here who say they have had poor wine service.... why would they say it if it wasn't true?

Perhaps you hit on the answer. We are always Traditional Main Dining at 8:00 and maybe that makes a difference? Service should be smooth and prompt for all but maybe there is some explanation for less prompt service at early seatings?

I think as a rule most of the population on a HAL ship tends to eat early making it overrun. That's generally why the early traditional sells out first on most cruises.