Taking Wine Onboard

anmajojo

Policy says held until end of cruise.

Actual practice says ????

That's how it worked for us on the last cruise. We had a bottle held. It was delivered on the afternoon of the last day. Early enough in the day that we did not need to carry it off the next morning if you get my meaning ... ;)

That's how it worked for us on the last cruise. We had a bottle held. It was delivered on the afternoon of the last day. Early enough in the day that we did not need to carry it off the next morning if you get my meaning ... ;)

I got once a bottle of raisin wine in Grenada. It was confiscated and held until last day. I got it back late and I forgot to put it in my checked in bag. It was confiscated second time at the airport in San Juan. I never even tasted it :mad:

I still wonder if it was any good.

Most airports sell wine. You could buy some either before your flight as carry on or after your flight arrives. I used Total Wines & More and as someone said you can order on line and pick up at the store. I did this before and was out of the store within 5 minutes plus it was in a carry on box. Check out their web site. Their wine is reasonably priced.

Tom:)

If it is sold after security as in a duty free shop it will be delivered to your departure gate and can be taken on board. Have done it several times both leaving and returning to Canada to/from international destinations. If the wine store is before security it ain't getting on the plane for sure.

Bill, it seems to me that "alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded" refers to hard liquor and beer. Wine would be within the policy.

Can you refer us to where Princess states that all wine must be in your carry on and all alcohol in checked luggage it will be confiscated and destroyed?

I seem to recall more than one post saying checked wine has been allowed and either the owner picks up the wine at security where the corkage is paid or, the wine was delivered with a note asking the owner to pay the corkage. I could certainly be remembering what I want to remember ...

Here's what my boarding pass says for my 2/15/14 cruise. The luggage tag also refers to the "carry-on alcohol policy."

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

If it is sold after security as in a duty free shop it will be delivered to your departure gate and can be taken on board. Have done it several times both leaving and returning to Canada to/from international destinations. If the wine store is before security it ain't getting on the plane for sure.

I was assuming we were talking US airport to US airport.. No carrying on bottles here.

Edited by eandj

In another thread on wine, someone was kind enough to list all the wines and prices offered on Princess. So, I printed out the list and then went to Total Wines website and searched for all the bottles. I was able to find at least 80 percent and then compared the prices.

The least bang for you buck is Pinot Grigio - so, if you really like this wine buy your own, as you will save a lot even paying the 15 dollar corkage.

I found that the other wines, when adding the 15 bucks maybe save 2-3 bucks. In some cases, bringing on your own bottle would cost you more (this is for the higher priced wines).

We were thinking of going to Total Wines before the cruise and loading up, but now we think we'll just get our 2 "free" bottles of a really nice vintage and not available on the ship, then buy a wine package on the ship.

Not as much hassle and less to lug as carry-on.

Has anyone else done any number crunching?

FTB

Here's what my boarding pass says for my 2/15/14 cruise. The luggage tag also refers to the "carry-on alcohol policy."

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder,

adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or

champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage

fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne

bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective

of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are

not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and

alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

OK, thanks for the cut and paste.

Although it does say "carry-on alcohol policy", one could read that to mean any alcohol you don't purchase on-board. I understand "carry-on" to many literally means something you physically carry. However, since Princess is scanning luggage, I believe all luggage is considered "carry-on" in this case. After all, you do "carry" it to the porters.

Now, mentioning the scanned luggage, the phrase "outside of our policy" taken in conjunction with the previous sentence banning liquors, spirits or beers, indicates wine is within the policy and would not be discarded. If wine were not within the policy the phrase is unnecessary. I believe "outside of our policy" exists specifically to exclude only the banned items and leaves wine as a permitted item.

Edited by beg3yrs

In another thread on wine, someone was kind enough to list all the wines and prices offered on Princess. So, I printed out the list and then went to Total Wines website and searched for all the bottles. I was able to find at least 80 percent and then compared the prices.

The least bang for you buck is Pinot Grigio - so, if you really like this wine buy your own, as you will save a lot even paying the 15 dollar corkage.

I found that the other wines, when adding the 15 bucks maybe save 2-3 bucks. In some cases, bringing on your own bottle would cost you more (this is for the higher priced wines).

We were thinking of going to Total Wines before the cruise and loading up, but now we think we'll just get our 2 "free" bottles of a really nice vintage and not available on the ship, then buy a wine package on the ship.

Not as much hassle and less to lug as carry-on.

Has anyone else done any number crunching?

FTB

Having worked at a government liquor store I can say I've crunched the numbers for any wine list that I have found posted on CC. Being Canadian, the price of wines offered on the lines are not that much higher than in the Cdn stores. I have also compared the costs with Total Wine which is my store of choice when stateside.

Here are some findings on cost: (generalizations)

1) The sub $25 wines have the highest % markup. (up to 4X)

2) The white wines tend to have high markups.

3) The highest end wines are close to liquor store prices.

4) French & Italian red wines have the lowest markups.

Although it does say "carry-on alcohol policy", one could read that to mean any alcohol you don't purchase on-board. I understand "carry-on" to many literally means something you physically carry. However, since Princess is scanning luggage, I believe all luggage is considered "carry-on" in this case. After all, you do "carry" it to the porters.

Now, mentioning the scanned luggage, the phrase "outside of our policy" taken in conjunction with the previous sentence banning liquors, spirits or beers, indicates wine is within the policy and would not be discarded. If wine were not within the policy the phrase is unnecessary. I believe "outside of our policy" exists specifically to exclude only the banned items and leaves wine as a permitted item.

Yeah, it's tough to say. I'd read "carry-on" to mean the common airline usage and differentiate from "checked." If I read it that way, I'd read it as anything that is not "carried on" in the above sense, to be "outside" the policy. But I could be wrong. I'd suggest carrying it on it at all possible to be safe.

Yeah, it's tough to say. I'd read "carry-on" to mean the common airline usage and differentiate from "checked." If I read it that way, I'd read it as anything that is not "carried on" in the above sense, to be "outside" the policy. But I could be wrong. I'd suggest carrying it on it at all possible to be safe.

Agreed, certainly tough to say. Also agree that carrying on is the safest approach regardless of how one interprets Princess' language. I suppose I'm nitpicking here ...

I agree with both of you. I think that "carry-on" in this context refers to wine that you "bring on board" whether that is physically carried on by you or given to a porter. After all, they often call people down to a security room to pay for and collect the wine that was observed in the scanners. Checking luggage on a ship is not analogous to checking luggage on a plane. On the latter, you don't get your bags in transit and collect them at your final destination. On a ship, your luggage is delivered to you in a matter of hours. Since it all finds its way to your cabin, it really doesn't matter if you carry it on or hand it over to a porter. So I think your wine can be placed in either a carried on bag or portered bag. That said, there is always a risk in encountering a port employee who just doesn't get this and implements the rules as s/he sees fit. To avoid all doubt, my wine stays with me. I have no problem checking it on a plane since air travel rules are unambiguous. Wine is a liquid, so it gets checked, no questions asked.

YEG, YYZ Montego Bay, Cancun to name a few

These are not US airports. International flight TSA rules are different from flights originating/connecting in and ending in a U.S. airport. If you pick up bottles for example in ORD/Chicago, you need to put it in your checked bags to get it to MIA or Ft. L. Doesn't matter where you bought it, at the airport or the local store.

Still can't carry bottles on board if flying to Florida or any other US airport from here. Needs to go in checked luggage.

Nope. If purchased on the "secure" side at a gift shop, it can be carried on. Here is the direct quote from TSA:

After clearing security, travelers can bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

It couldn't be any other way. Once you go through security, you are past the point where you can check bags, and your carry-ons are not subject to any further screening other than some very rare random searches that, frankly, I haven't seen in years.

Still can't carry bottles on board if flying to Florida or any other US airport from here. Needs to go in checked luggage.

Nope. If purchased on the "secure" side at a gift shop, it can be carried on. Here is the direct quote from TSA:

After clearing security, travelers can bring beverages and other items purchased in the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.

It couldn't be any other way. Once you go through security, you are past the point where you can check bags, and your carry-ons are not subject to any further screening other than some very rare random searches that, frankly, I haven't seen in years.

eandj does not say where "here" is. If outside the USA, different rules may apply to flights going to a USA and there may be additional security inspections and rules for those before boarding the USA bound flight.

I recently had an empty water bottle confiscated at the gate checkpoint (for all passengers) for a flight to the USA. Reason given was I "could put something into the empty bottle."

You absolutely can in MHT.

http://www.flymanchester.com/news/2011/11/new-hampshire-liquor-wine-outlet-opens

It's a state run liquor store. It is in the gate area, inside security.

Cash and carry -- right on board.

It's just like bringing bottled water on board. It's fine when purchased

inside security.

It is, of course, a violation of FAA rules to consume any alcohol

onboard not provided by the flight crew.

You absolutely can in MHT.

http://www.flymanchester.com/news/2011/11/new-hampshire-liquor-wine-outlet-opens

It's a state run liquor store. It is in the gate area, inside security.

Cash and carry -- right on board.

It's just like bringing bottled water on board. It's fine when purchased

inside security.

It is, of course, a violation of FAA rules to consume any alcohol

onboard not provided by the flight crew.

I seem to remember there being a wine shop at one, maybe two, of the terminals at SFO as well.

I seem to remember there being a wine shop at one, maybe two, of the terminals at SFO as well.

That is correct. There are shops that sell California made products including a full selection of wine. Buy it there and you carry it straight on to the plane. One such shop is called City By The Bay.

Edited by JimmyVWine