Esperance..........

I would go for the Esperance Eco Tours trip to Cape Le Grand (gorgeous scenery that appears on a lot of calendars) and Cape Arid if you have time.

I have been to Esperance by road, but not by cruise ship. Here is some information on Esperance :

"Esperance has the only port in the south-east of Western Australia – the Esperance Port Authority completed a A$54 million upgrade in 2002. The upgrade made the port one of the deepest in southern Australia, capable of handling Cape-class vessels (up to 180,000 tonnes) and fully loaded Panamax-class vessels (up to 75,000 tonnes)."

From that information, it appears that cruise ships dock.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I hired a car for the day. Avis was just across the park - about a 7 minute walk.

The car was excellent. Cost about $70.

We drove out to Cape Le Grand National Park (entry fee was $10 for the car) then did 'the loop' on the other side of town out to Pink Lake.

Was an excellent day. Relaxed, cheap and stress free.

The white sand beaches at the Cape are amazing.

1456565_10151968399272829_947136011_n.jpg

1424389_10151968404152829_108537787_n.jpg

Raina

Edited by AussieVisi2r

I hired a car for the day. Avis was just across the park - about a 7 minute walk.

We drove out to Cape Le Grand National Park (entry fee was $10 for the car) then did 'the loop' on the other side of town out to Pink Lake.

Raina

Lovely pics.:D

I am not sure if they offer tours to Wave rock from Esperance but from memory it would be a long way. I would be inclined to do something local, like the national park as already suggested.:D

Definite no no for Wave Rock - far too far - and for too little. I'd have to get my brain together (oh dear..) but there is a re creation of Stonehenge - on the way to Cape Le Grande - might be worth a look. Once in Cape Le Grande - you might not want to go anywhere else:o

The above photo's say it all - and sometimes you can see the kangaroos pretty close up when you are at the pay point into the park

Edited by dizzy1948

Definite no no for Wave Rock - far too far - and for too little. I'd have to get my brain together (oh dear..) but there is a re creation of Stonehenge - on the way to Cape Le Grande - might be worth a look. Once in Cape Le Grande - you might not want to go anywhere else:o

The above photo's say it all - and sometimes you can see the kangaroos pretty close up when you are at the pay point into the park

I agree with your comments on Wave Rock - far too far for far too little.

Cape Le Grande is gorgeous with some of the best beach scenery in Australia - and that is saying something!

I agree with your comments on Wave Rock - far too far for far too little.

Cape Le Grande is gorgeous with some of the best beach scenery in Australia - and that is saying something!

I did forget to say take plenty of drinking water - doesn't matter where you go when you are off the beaten tack anywhere here - take water

I did forget to say take plenty of drinking water - doesn't matter where you go when you are off the beaten tack anywhere here - take water

Definitely a must, along with a hat and sunscreen.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I used Avis as it was close.

The Cape was less than an hour each way.

(and does go past Plastic Stonehenge. I would have had a look for fun but it was 10 or 15 $ each to get in. Not that much fun!)

Super easy drive.

Raina

Just like the real stonehenge then (cost).:D

Any restaurants/ restrooms etc at National Park? Any issues with swimming?

Our visits to Cape Le Grande NP were a few years ago but I doubt very much that it has changed. It has been kept natural - no shops and no restaurants. I know there is a toilet block at Happy Bay camping ground and there could be at the other main beaches. The toilets would be fairly basic but clean.

Absolutely no issues with swimming. You will love it. The sand is very fine and very white and the water an amazing azure blue. I didn't want to leave. :)

Our visits to Cape Le Grande NP were a few years ago but I doubt very much that it has changed. It has been kept natural - no shops and no restaurants. I know there is a toilet block at Happy Bay camping ground and there could be at the other main beaches. The toilets would be fairly basic but clean.

Absolutely no issues with swimming. You will love it. The sand is very fine and very white and the water an amazing azure blue. I didn't want to leave. :)

I assume that they are the normal National park type composting toilets (or long drops).:D

I assume that they are the normal National park type composting toilets (or long drops).:D

I am trying to remember, but I think they were flush toilets. I seem to recall being a bit surprised, but I can't guarantee it - I've been to so many toilets in so many national parks. :D

I am trying to remember, but I think they were flush toilets. I seem to recall being a bit surprised, but I can't guarantee it - I've been to so many toilets in so many national parks. :D

No more details are required on toilets:eek:

Just as long as there are some available for the visitors.:D

Never heard of the back house being called the "long drop". :D Very appropriate! Thanks for info. Looks like Esperance is a beach day!

A "long drop" toilet is exactly that. An outhouse built over a deep hole. Sawdust is usually available to sprinkle in. These toilets can be found in some remote national parks and they are not pleasant to use. :eek: When the hole is sufficient filled, another hole is dug and the outhouse is moved.

(Sorry Mic for going into more details, but people who haven't had the pleasure of encountering this type of toilet might wonder why they have the name they do.):)

A "long drop" toilet is exactly that. An outhouse built over a deep hole. Sawdust is usually available to sprinkle in. These toilets can be found in some remote national parks and they are not pleasant to use. :eek: When the hole is sufficient filled, another hole is dug and the outhouse is moved.

(Sorry Mic for going into more details, but people who haven't had the pleasure of encountering this type of toilet might wonder why they have the name they do.):)

Just don't tell our international visitors about the bugs, mossies, flies and spiders.:p

Esperance is a tender port. A trip out to the beaches on both side of Esperance township and to the Cape is a must do. Also check out the local museum near the shuttle bus pickup point.

The replica Stonehenge is worth a look. The owners have put huge $$$ into this project.

I initiated a private tour with the local tourism office when we were there last year. This is now a regular tour offered through Esperance Visitor Centre.

1456565_10151968399272829_947136011_n.jpg

1424389_10151968404152829_108537787_n.jpg

Raina

Beautiful pictures, Raina. A picture is worth a thousand words.

As Aus Traveller says one of the best beaches in Australia. Often with kangaroos on the beach.