Dec 1 - 8 Eurodam Just Off - My Report

arzz

I enjoyed reading your review, but you brought up something I commented on from our sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam - that of the grey tint on the full length mirror. We sailed on the NA in an inside cabin and I was surprised to see both the full length mirror and mirror over the desk were tinted. When you're in an inside cabin, there is not an over-abundance of light, but to add the tinted mirrors certainly does not help at all. I made note of this in our comments upon our return, and was not surprised when it wasn't addressed - they'd have to switch out so many mirrors, it likely isn't feasible.

It certainly sounds like you were able to use the week to relax and de-stress. Thanks for taking the time to report back.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I was also on this cruise, and agree with segarsmoker that the cruise director was excellent.

I would like to comment on disembarkation.

I had a VQ veranda on Deck 10 and was standing at the door when my color/number was called at 8:15 - right at the time advertised. Headed down to the gangway and was through customs and calling the shuttle to the parking lot at 8:48. Luggage was easy to find. Customs/Immigration line was a little long, but kept moving.

It appears that the hangup happened after that time.

Rich

arzz, thank you so much for your very detailed and excellent review. We will be cruising on the Eurodam next fall and are very excited to be returning to HAL since our first cruise in 1992.

I was so excited to see that Kieron Buffery is now with HAL. He was on the Norwegian Star when we first cruised on her back in 2005, and to say that he was unforgettable is an understatement. We loved him! Kieron was also with RCI for many years. HAL is lucky to have him now.

Enjoyed your review. It brought back memories from last April when we sailed on Eurodam. Agree with you about the pool deck. We felt the pool deck was spoiled by those thick wooden railings. Since we always book an inside cabin, we paid for a family retreat cabana and enjoyed it as our "private" deck space. Best money we've spent onboard in a long time.

Thanks for taking time to write a review.

arzz, thank you so much for your very detailed and excellent review. We will be cruising on the Eurodam next fall and are very excited to be returning to HAL since our first cruise in 1992.

I was so excited to see that Kieron Buffery is now with HAL. He was on the Norwegian Star when we first cruised on her back in 2005, and to say that he was unforgettable is an understatement. We loved him! Kieron was also with RCI for many years. HAL is lucky to have him now.

We had him on the Zaandam this March and he was fabulous. He was everywhere! We also loved him.

We had Kieron on the Mariner of the Seas back in 2008. He's great, and one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

elou

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond - I have been super busy since I got home.

Some of the daily activities gleaned from the daily program:

Good Morning Eurodam with Cruise Director Kieron

Walk-A-Mile

Indoor cycling and yoga -- $12 each :(

Abs class

Flower Arranging

Edit your Photos, create movies and slides,

Card players meet

Creative crafts class

Golf Chipping, Baggo Bean Bags, Golf Putting,

Team Trivia

Flower arranging class $39 :(

Chess players meet

Wii sports challenge

Ping Pong challenge

Volley ball and basketball games on Half Moon Cay

Ping Pong players meet

Friends of Bill W

Pub Trivia

Name that Tune

Bingo

Win a cruise bingo

In addition there were lots of spa seminars, art auctions, gem workshops, daily afternoon tea, digital workshop classes of all sorts, wine tastings -- the daily quiz and sudoku available everyday in the Explorations Cafe

There, of course, was much more to do on sea days than port days -- and there was always a Sail Away party when leaving port.

There were movies shown in the Screening Room every day as well as films shown on the cabin TV.

In the evenings there was the piano bar, Adiagio, BB King Blues Club, HAL Cats, the nightly shows and parties in the disco.

Hope this helps.

Edited by arzz

Thank you so much for your report. We loved Eurodam on our Norway cruise last summer. I'm an R&S fan and didn't expect to like E-dam as much as I did. Tamarind DID help. The Lido Cabanas are offensive to me. It really shoves HAL's maximizing revenue in your face. Ironically they were seldom occupied. The Retreat I don't mind as you have to seek it out. That Lido Pool space should be for everyone IMHO.

No net under the Atrium "thing" in late summer. I thought it was seriously ugly.

We loved Captain DeVries.

Next for us? Zuiderdam this Friday:)

Edited by shrimp56

• 3 weeks later...

we are jealous! I think you have james ceilen on your cruise--he is a superb illusionist/magician, and his wife isabelle used to do beautiful dance/gymnastic presentations with him. they have two sons who (of course) cruise with them.

we are on eurodam beginning 1/5/2014--sorry they aren't on our ship!