Island Princess - Crooners Bar

jackieo

We are travelling on 15 February. This will be our first time on the Island Princess. Can you tell us if they have a resident piano man in Crooners or do various musicians simply take turns over the two weeks?

We have previously been on the grand class ships where Crooners have been a real lively place with great atmosphere.

Seems the "resident piano player/singer" does change from time to time. We were on Island for a B2B and had a different one for the second leg. One of the bartenders told us they normally stayed for about six sailings. Guess it varies. :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

We are travelling on 15 February. This will be our first time on the Island Princess. Can you tell us if they have a resident piano man in Crooners or do various musicians simply take turns over the two weeks?

We have previously been on the grand class ships where Crooners have been a real lively place with great atmosphere.

Coincidently, I have an "in" with the Music Manager whose on the on the Island Princess right now (and, although he's scheduled to get off about a week before you get on, has already been told to expect that his stay might be extended at least thru February 15th). I'll check with him for you.

On a more general note, they typically have a designate piano player on most cruises, but in the event they are unavailable (illness, etc) they swap in other performers to cover (when we were on the Coral in 09, the main player was down for 3 days with the flu and they had rotating acts from the stage show performers and house bands all of whom explained the situation before every couple of sets).

On a more general note, they typically have a designate piano player on most cruises, but in the event they are unavailable (illness, etc) they swap in other performers to cover (when we were on the Coral in 09, the main player was down for 3 days with the flu and they had rotating acts from the stage show performers and house bands all of whom explained the situation before every couple of sets).

That's the same thing I was told this morning. So there's a designated piano player in the Crooner's Bar, but when someone's sick, changes have to be made, and on Cruise ships, there's a smaller pool to call from than on land. (It's kind of impossible to call someone on another ship and say "Hey, can you possibly fill in tonight?") And since the current piano player ends his contract before 2/15, I didn't ask his name.

We were on the Island the end of Sept and early Oct. There was a dedicated piano player in Crooners and he was very good. They rotate them however so he probably is not there now. This is in addition to the ship's piano player that performs with the bands and in the Piaza. The Crooner piano player is an entertainer besides playing the piano. I love to go listen to them.

The Piano Man on my recent Princess cruise had laryngitis one night and he valiantly went forward. However, the following night he couldn't speak at all so they brought in one of the pianists who entertains in the Piazza to fill in for him two nights in a row. He was musically amazing and a delight to listen to. However, he wasn't an entertainer, so I grew bored quickly. They generally have at least 2 pianists who can step in if the Piano Man is ill.

Most ships have a rotation of "Piano Men" who seem to stay on the ship for 2, 3 or 4 months, get a month or so off and then either go back to the same ship or a new one.