Immigration cards

I'm wanting to fill out our cards early so we dont have to do it when we check-in. But my question is this, as we'll obviously be visiting multiple countries, what country do you put down on the form where it asks what country you'll be going to?

:confused:

I'm wanting to fill out our cards early so we dont have to do it when we check-in. But my question is this, as we'll obviously be visiting multiple countries, what country do you put down on the form where it asks what country you'll be going to?

:confused:[/quot

if its the one you're doing on the 27th dec i would put down South Pacific & NZ

Probably the most asked question at check in....after of course Do you want the ship or your bank to do your currency conversion:eek::eek::D.........is the outgoing passenger card ( even though it is for Customs ..not the cruise line) so after asking a couple of customs people:

As asked on the green card

1. Country where you will get off this flight. AUSTRALIA ...providing of course this is where you are debarking from the ship. If you are leaving the ship in another country you obviously put that country

2. Country where you will spend most of your time overseas. AT SEA........some people put "at the bar" but then you would be in a "state" not a country:D:D:D

Answers seem straight forward I know but they do cause some confusion... Perhaps one day they will produce a card just for cruising but don't hold your breath.

Also ..don't forget to answer the question on the back of the card.....Are you taking out More than. AUD $10,000 ..yes or no......have been doing check in for three years and have NEVER seen anybody answer Yes :D:D

Also ..don't forget to answer the question on the back of the card.....Are you taking out More than. AUD $10,000 ..yes or no......have been doing check in for three years and have NEVER seen anybody answer Yes :D:D

On cruises, would anyone take more than $10,000 per person ($20,000 per couple)?

Probably the most asked question at check in....after of course Do you want the ship or your bank to do your currency conversion:eek::eek::D.........is the outgoing passenger card ( even though it is for Customs ..not the cruise line) so after asking a couple of customs people:

As asked on the green card

1. Country where you will get off this flight. AUSTRALIA ...providing of course this is where you are debarking from the ship. If you are leaving the ship in another country you obviously put that country

2. Country where you will spend most of your time overseas. AT SEA........some people put "at the bar" but then you would be in a "state" not a country:D:D:D

Answers seem straight forward I know but they do cause some confusion... Perhaps one day they will produce a card just for cruising but don't hold your breath.

So is the answer ship or bank for currency conversion?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Definitely the bank....that is the question the cruise lines ask when you check in.....we always ask for the bank to do the conversion as at least you get the best rate and the rate on that day.

However on one occassion , with Cunard, the on board account which was settled with a card was not presented for nearly 3 weeks. We reckoned they waited until there was an exchange rate in their favour.....just goes to show that you cant win , even when you do all the right things.

So is the answer ship or bank for currency conversion?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

There is no "correct" answer. It basically comes down what your credit card charges are. If YOUR bank charges less than 3% (RCCL & Celebrity) for a currency conversion then you would pick B.................. if your bank charges 3% or more then pick A... the problem is that most people do not know what their bank charges for a conversion and this is what leads to the confusion. I still think it stinks that they charge at all (ship or bank) when all they probably do is hit a key on the computer and it is converted.. especially when it is based on what you spend.. it is still the same keystoke for $100 or $10,000 (greedy b..st...ds):mad::mad::mad:

There is no "correct" answer. It basically comes down what your credit card charges are. If YOUR bank charges less than 3% (RCCL & Celebrity) for a currency conversion then you would pick B.................. if your bank charges 3% or more then pick A... the problem is that most people do not know what their bank charges for a conversion and this is what leads to the confusion. I still think it stinks that they charge at all (ship or bank) when all they probably do is hit a key on the computer and it is converted.. especially when it is based on what you spend.. it is still the same keystoke for $100 or $10,000 (greedy b..st...ds):mad::mad::mad:

I don't think the problem is credit card charges, but what rate is used to convert the currency. If passengers select their bank to do the conversion, it will be at the bank's rate on that day, less the currency conversion fee. If the ship does the conversion, they will use their own rate for conversion and it is invariably a less advantageous rate than directly through the bank.

I don't think the problem is credit card charges, but what rate is used to convert the currency. If passengers select their bank to do the conversion, it will be at the bank's rate on that day, less the currency conversion fee. If the ship does the conversion, they will use their own rate for conversion and it is invariably a less advantageous rate than directly through the bank.

Agreed, the banks like to make money but are still more generous than the ship when it comes to conversion of currencies.:D

Great post gbenjo. As you say, some cards are more and some are less. Cruise costs are in the middle.

However, I can understand why they charge for conversion as it's the way of charging for the service e.g. managing rates, transferring currencies, interfacing systems.

We pay for the cruise, and don't have a lot physically to show for it afterwards, the currency conversion is just another service that has a cost.

Everyone charges nowadays. Needed to get a visa the other day and the Embassy only accepts money orders, no cheques, cash, credit cards, bank cheques or anything. Post office charges $9.50 for a money order (looks just like a cheque) that took 30 seconds to process.:(

Edited by MicCanberra

Everyone charges nowadays. Needed to get a visa the other day and the Embassy only accepts money orders, no cheques, cash, credit cards, bank cheques or anything. Post office charges $9.50 for a money order (looks just like a cheque) that took 30 seconds to process.:(

Tell me about it, going to South America in Feb pre cruise, Chile, Brazil, Argentina all charge big visa/entry/reciprocity fees.