Recommend me some excursions.....please

zorro69

Ok - complete newbie :p

On the 9th March, I will be going on the Conquest for the Western Caribbean Cruise with my wife for our 25th Anniversary...............and this is a complete surprise booking for my wife!!

This will cover;

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting George Town, Grand Cayman >> Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Both of us are fit and healthy, so no restrictions on what we can do

As a newbie, really not sure of the best way to go about the excursions and booking, value for money, etc, etc

Any suggestions on how to book (on the ship or a separate site, best excursions.........anything at all really)

I have found a site which gives some options, but really no idea if the prices or options are good

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/v/cruises/results.asp?shipId=1938&arrival=2014-03-09&nights=7

So any help would be highly appreciated :D

Thanks

Paul

In Cozumel check out Cozumel-tours dot com

In Belize try caveyubing dot com or eco tours

Grand Cayman try snorkeling with sting rays

and in Roatan try Channin Bodden. great island tour and you can add on what ever you like you can find him on facebook or google him

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting George Town, Grand Cayman >> Cozumel, Mexico >> Belize City, Belize >> Mahogany Bay, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras

Grand Cayman is expensive. I like going to 7 mile beach, but also fun to swim with sting-rays.

Cozumel has lots of good beach clubs. Decide if you want an all-inclusive or pay-as-you-go. Depends how much you want to drink.

Cave tubing is a unique experience in Belize.

Roatan is lovely. Maybe tour with Vicor Bodden? Zip-lining, good snorkeling & diving.

Have fun!

On the 9th March, I will be going on the Conquest for the Western Caribbean Cruise with my wife for our 25th Anniversary...............and this is a complete surprise booking for my wife!!

This will cover;

As a newbie, really not sure of the best way to go about the excursions and booking, value for money, etc, etc

Any suggestions on how to book (on the ship or a separate site, best excursions.........anything at all really)

I have found a site which gives some options, but really no idea if the prices or options are good

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/v/cruises/results.asp?shipId=1938&arrival=2014-03-09&nights=7

Thanks

Paul

My counter question to you is, what sort of things interest you? Photography? Snorkelling? Beaches? History? If you can give us some clues to what interests you, maybe we can make some educated suggestions. :)

In Coz, especially on a 25th anniversary trip, if you are looking for a quiet/un-crowded beach club check out Nachi Cocom. All inclusive for about $55 each (book online) and cab fare each way will set you back about $16+tip. Limited to 100 guests per day, nice beach, small pool, great food/drinks/service -- after the crowds on the ship you will love this place.

In GC we have twice used Moby Dick tours for a snorkel and stingray city excursion - smaller boat, great service, and a fun time.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - need to start doing some further research

In terms of interests for the 2 of us;

• not big drinkers, so not looking for anything specific in that area
  • I enjoy photography
  • we enjoy historic sites
  • both enjoy water and loved jet ski hire in Miami last year
  • enjoy good food
  • like the beach and water

so fairly wide really :)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - need to start doing some further research

In terms of interests for the 2 of us;

• not big drinkers, so not looking for anything specific in that area
  • I enjoy photography
  • we enjoy historic sites
  • both enjoy water and loved jet ski hire in Miami last year
  • enjoy good food
  • like the beach and water

so fairly wide really :)

Have a look at http://cozumelphototour.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1. If you do go for a photo tour, you can learn some techniques that may help improve your photography. If you look at my review (link in my sig), it shows some photos from the photo walk. The review also mentions a place where I had lunch. You should have time to go to other historic sites, but it depends on how much time you have at the port.

I agree with Victor Bodden in Roatan and cave tubing in Belize (though we do it through cave-tubing.com and add zip lining). We took Moby Dick for snorkling & Stingray City and would recommend them as well. I've not found anything we really love in Coz, so I can't help you there.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Fatfish Adventures Stingray jet ski tour and I highly recommend it, it was us and one other family on our tour, my husband and I shared a jetski and the ride was wonderful. We got the stingray experience, snorkeled and then went to starfish beach (we were the only group there) and it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever been. We would do it again, but we are limited on time and we really want to get to Hell on our next trip just to say we have been there.

We just did the "personal mini-subs" through Oceanus. They are underwater scooters!! No experience necessary, easy to use and so much fun!!! We've been to Cozumel numerous times and have done dune buggies, X-rails, Nachi Cocum, Snorkeling tours, Catamarans, shopped the town, Cozumel Bar Hop, etc. Wanted something different this time and we had a ball!!

Close to the ship pier (I think it was an $8 cab ride for all three of us) and we got to hang at the resort and use the pool, showers, etc. when finished.

scootersCozumel.jpg.4e2a12114e437e72d649b631b38025e6.jpg

ScootersCoz2.jpg.5b482d2caace33cb4c050170f897502b.jpg

ScootersCoz3.jpg.83c6a77c093878d9117126179446b590.jpg

scooterwendy.jpg.9fc4894655ce6eb7003d8706f8860323.jpg

OMG...............those scooters look fantastic

Not sure if my wife would do them as she always said she would not go down in a submarine

We're they claustrophobic in any way.............apart from having the head gear and water all around :D

Thanks for all the other ideas as well - will get reading into them as well

Edited by zorro69

OMG...............those scooters look fantastic

Not sure if my wife would do them as she always said she would not go down in a submarine

We're they claustrophobic in any way.............apart from having the head gear and water all around :D

Thanks for all the other ideas as well - will get reading into them as well

Surprisingly NO! The helmet was rather large, even our shoulders fit into it and at a few points I had both my hands inside taking photos too. They are pretty big and open so you don't feel claustophobic at all. Super easy to drive. If you look on the last picture you can see Wendy's shoulders and almost half her upper body inside the bubble and out of the water.

the nice part is, you only go about 15 ft deep and you are not "tied in" in any way. If worse comes to worse, you can always swim out and to the surface, which was comforting to me.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

• 2 weeks later...
Surprisingly NO! The helmet was rather large, even our shoulders fit into it and at a few points I had both my hands inside taking photos too. They are pretty big and open so you don't feel claustophobic at all. Super easy to drive. If you look on the last picture you can see Wendy's shoulders and almost half her upper body inside the bubble and out of the water.

the nice part is, you only go about 15 ft deep and you are not "tied in" in any way. If worse comes to worse, you can always swim out and to the surface, which was comforting to me.

These look like a lot of fun! We'll be in Coz in May on Allure and looking for something different since we've been there a few times. How far in advance did you book the excursion? How much time do you actually spend on the scooters underwater? Thanks in advance for any info!

Quick question

I have booked the steak restaurant ($35 per head) and would also like to try for the chefs table booking........if not, I know there are 2elegant evenings on board

Both are classed as "elegant" nights

Would a tuxedo with black tie etc, be over doing it, or would this be okay for these evenings

Happy to be in a Tux so long as I am not the only one walking about like a penguin :)

Thanks

Was just in Coz last week. If you like history, I suggest you hire a driver ( we were very pleased with Crescensio Lopez) and go to the Mayan ruins and then stop to take pictures along the east coast. He then took us to El Cedral, the oldest settlement and finally the beach to snorkel. Made for a relaxing, varied and enjoyable day.

In Grand Cayman, you could rent a car and drive to Rum Point. If you want to do sting rays, Moby Dick is fine.

Roatan. Definitely Victor Bodden tours. Ask for Tex.

Haven't been to Belize. Have a great time.

Congrats on anniversary and kudos to you for planning. We did the same ports in Sept for our 25th anniversary, but I am the planner in the family.

Does your love for history cover Mayan ruins? If so, several choices to choose from out from Cozumel or Belize. We did Belize Atum Ha and River Wallace. Really enjoyed it. You can climb the ruins. But we also did it as a carnival excursion.

For this coming May in Belize we were trying to decide between cave tubing or snorkeling with sharks. We decided to book a private for snorkeling.

For Cozumel we just went to Money Bar and hung out and ate and snorkeled. Great day. For Cozumel in May we plan to do the ship excursion to Coba ruins.

For grand cayman we went with Kevin and Ecotours. Probably our best day of the cruise. More private than the hordes on other boats, plus longer in water. Went to the reef to snorkel, then to the Stingray City then to a private little island with starfish and a wild dolphin. Highly recommend Kevin. Or Stingray sailing co.

For Roatan we did the Fun n sun tour with Victor. Loved Monkey business but wished we had done a private so we could have more time at Bananarama resort. This next trip plan to with do private or do maya key.

These look like a lot of fun! We'll be in Coz in May on Allure and looking for something different since we've been there a few times. How far in advance did you book the excursion? How much time do you actually spend on the scooters underwater? Thanks in advance for any info!

We booked it the week before we left. We booked it through shoretrips dot com but the companies name is Oceanus. It was a short taxi ride from the pier (about half way between the pier and downtown, so when we were done, we just walked into town! Super easy and fun.

We were in the water a total of 35-40 minutes. They take you down 1 at a time and tether you to a rope, so since I was the first to go down and the last to come up, I was in the longest. We actually "rode around" for about 15 minutes. Then they tethered you again at the end for about 15 minutes and dive down and bring cool sea stuff up for you to hold. We held an urchin, a sea spider, a tiny puffer fish, a star fish and a few other things. It was cool. They also feed the fish right there so they get some great pictures of you. All in all we were in the water for about 40-45 minutes. Whole tour including the waiver signing, instructions, etc. was about 2 hrs.

Quick question

I have booked the steak restaurant ($35 per head) and would also like to try for the chefs table booking........if not, I know there are 2elegant evenings on board

Would a tuxedo with black tie etc, be over doing it, or would this be okay for these evenings

Happy to be in a Tux so long as I am not the only one walking about like a penguin :)

Thanks

You will probably be the only one in a tux but who cares.

Too bad we're not on the same cruise, zorro. I'm dressing up as well, for one night, because I have a fancy little black dress I bought years ago for a cruise on RCL, which DOES have "formal night", and after losing 40 pounds over the past year, I can FINALLY wear it again, so I am! We could have hung out together, looking quite fancy!!

Grand Cayman- did a tour that included the turtle farm, Hell and stingrays. Really enjoyed the day. On another trip we went to Queen Elizabeth botanic gardens, beautiful with lots of birds and blue iguanas. Should be able to book privately if a better deal and good reviews as the island is not that big.

Cozumel- You can do trips to the mainland from here including Coba and Tulum for Mayan ruins. This is best done with the cruise line as it is a long day involving a ferry and bus. On island you could book either way. Last trip I did a general island tour that included the east side, visit Mexico and several other stops.

Belize- Mayan ruins. Book with Carnival if going to Xunantunich. I did that tour and it was awesome but again a long day. Altun Ha, you could book on your own, we did, it is not nearly as far. We actually booked cave tubing but the river was too high and it was closed. Charlie's Cave Tubing is who we booked with (and who took us to Altun Ha) and they are very well reviewed on Trip Advisor.

Roatan- I did a private tour with a group I was with. There is also a beautiful beach and facilities where Carnival docks. Right across the street is zip lining.

This will cover;

Thanks

Paul

We have been to all of these ports numerous times.

I have TONS of reviews with TONS of pictures listed in my signature line (just click on them and make sure you are at the correct post number listed).

In Cozumel we have been to Chankanaab (twice and LOVE it). The snorkeling there is awesome. We have also been to Nachi Cocom, Playa Mia and just recently (2 weeks ago) to Mr Sanchos.

In Roatan, our absolute favorite is Little French Key and Maya Key. We have also done the zip lining with Victor Bodden and West Bay beach.

In Grand Cayman, the big thing to do there is swimming with the stingrays. It's such an awesome experience. (We have done it twice).

In Belize the thing to do there is usually cave tubing. We have went with .bz twice now. We have also been to Bannister Island (an island full of star fish in the water).

I just completed my review from 2 weeks ago on Mr Sanchos in Cozumel, an awesome experience using Nativeways in Grand Cayman for a day at the sandbar swimming with the stingrays, then snorkeling and then Rum Point. The review can be found HERE. You will have to search for the review within my Jewel review, but well worth it. TONS of pictures.

We booked it the week before we left. We booked it through shoretrips dot com but the companies name is Oceanus. It was a short taxi ride from the pier (about half way between the pier and downtown, so when we were done, we just walked into town! Super easy and fun.

We were in the water a total of 35-40 minutes. They take you down 1 at a time and tether you to a rope, so since I was the first to go down and the last to come up, I was in the longest. We actually "rode around" for about 15 minutes. Then they tethered you again at the end for about 15 minutes and dive down and bring cool sea stuff up for you to hold. We held an urchin, a sea spider, a tiny puffer fish, a star fish and a few other things. It was cool. They also feed the fish right there so they get some great pictures of you. All in all we were in the water for about 40-45 minutes. Whole tour including the waiver signing, instructions, etc. was about 2 hrs.

Thanks for the detailed description of this excursion! I think DW and DD and I will check it out in May. Looks really neat!:)

Hi,

Our family just got home last Sunday from that same trip. The ship and staff were good. I must say that on the out at sea day there wasn't a lot to do on deck.

Do not book the Buggy Excursion in Cozumel with Island Marketing - big waste of money and the whole day.

I would highly recommend Goff's Cay in Belize- shorter day of beach, snorkeling and fresh lobster lunch on a sort of Gilligan's Island.

On board the Conquest - visit the Alchemy Bar on 5th deck for martini tastings and an elegant pre-dinner meeting. We met there every night around 6:30 before dinner.

In Roatan, I would say to book a private tour since the pretty beach that you dock at is packed with passengers from another ship too.

On Cayman, we walked to Guy Harvey's store and had some items autographed by him. We then visited shops and bought some Beef patties off a kiosk at dock area. Yum.

Enjoy!

Quick question

Thanks

Go for it !! 25th Anniversary is special. Your wife will love it ! AND you will not be the only one wearing a Tux !! I've always seen many on all of my 7 or 8 day cruises.