Extra money deducted from credit card

:mad: I convinced my cousin to take a family cruise (her first cruise) next June to Jamaica and Grand Cayman. Anyway, she called the T/A, who I have highly praised for their services since I've used them for the last 3 cruises that DH and I haven taken. She told the agent that she wanted to pay $200.00 on her booking. Well, the next day she discovered that the cruiseline deducted $1000.00 from her account instead of $200.00! How in the world can someone make big mistake as that?!! I'm very close to canceling the cruise because this isn't right. They keep telling her that the money has been refunded, when it hasn't. They keep giving her the run around by telling her to call her bank, the bank can't do anything because the cruiseline haven't refunded the money back into her account. My cousin's wondering if she should make payments directly with the cruiseline but I reminded that that's who the T/A to have the payment made to her account. T/A told her that she told the cruiseline rep $200.00 and the cruiseline rep said they're going by what the T/A tell them. So they passing the buck back and forth. Has any other fellow cruisers have this problem?

Is there 4 people for the family cruise? If so, its 250pp for a deposit on a RCI cruise. We have 1000.00 paid for our 8/06 cruise on the freedom. 200.00 is not enough for a deposit.

If the deposit has already been made and the 200. was just a payment, call the credit card company and let them fight the battle. That is what they are there for.

good luck

The Travel Agent is not the one that charged her. It is very common for TA's not to do direct charging themselves. The cruiseline may have put through the order to refund the money but it has not gotten through the account. Have her call back and speak to a supervisor until she hears what she needs to hear and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

Sounds like an honest mistake here by either your TA or the cruise line. Give them time to react and correct the problem. If this is making you that upset then by all means cancel and find another cruise line.

I keep saying to her that it's an honest mistake but don't keep passing the buck around. If you mistake, be grown enough and say, "I made a mistake." Don't try to put the blame on someone else.

Is there 4 people for the family cruise? If so, its 250pp for a deposit on a RCI cruise. We have 1000.00 paid for our 8/06 cruise on the freedom. 200.00 is not enough for a deposit.

If the deposit has already been made and the 200. was just a payment, call the credit card company and let them fight the battle. That is what they are there for.

good luck

I know the amount for the cruise deposit. My cousin is making payments.

The Travel Agent is not the one that charged her. It is very common for TA's not to do direct charging themselves. The cruiseline may have put through the order to refund the money but it has not gotten through the account. Have her call back and speak to a supervisor until she hears what she needs to hear and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!

Yes, my cousin has been calling the T/A AND the cruiseline and is documenting every phone call and email

Guest OBAYbee

I had this happen recently. I booked 16 for FOS in June directly with RCCL. My credit card was charged $1,200 more then it should have been. It did take several calls to RCCL to straighten it out. My card was reimbursed eventually however. In my case they took deposits for 2 names not even on our list. People I didn’t even know. The rest of the difference was never explained to me.

As impressed as I am with the RCCL ships. Again, their customer service regarding this issue was rude to me more then once.

Persistence got me a refund of the over charge, not their customer service.

I had this happen recently. I booked 16 for FOS in June directly with RCCL. My credit card was charged $1,200 more then it should have been. It did take several calls to RCCL to straighten it out. My card was reimbursed eventually however. In my case they took deposits for 2 names not even on our list. People I didn’t even know. The rest of the difference was never explained to me.

As impressed as I am with the RCCL ships. Again, their customer service regarding this issue was rude to me more then once.

Persistence got me a refund of the over charge, not their customer service.

I can imagine you being persistent is what got your money refunded. I'm thankful that it didn't happen when I booked the cruise for 8 a couple of weeks ago. My mother in law and 3 other family members decided they wanted to go, so I just booked 4 more people giving us a total of 12. I'm glad the transaction went smoothly because I would be furious if they charged my account for more than what I told them to. My cousin was on the phone with the T/A and cruiseline for almost 2 hours yesterday!

I believe the original poster is talking about someone who just wanted to make a $200 interim payment on the booking.

The the OP, your TA should be able to go into RCCL's online booking engine and look at the HISTORY on that cruise confirmation number. That shows EXACTLY what has been done as far as payments and credits to the account. That will tell her if RCCL has actually issued a credit or not. If they have, it WILL show up on the credit card statement soon. If not, then your TA needs to get on the phone with RCCL again.

Good luck getting it sorted out. :)

Ella2, you've got it right. My cousin was making a payment on her already booked cruise. She's making payments until it's paid in full since her and DH are paying for 5 people. She just informed me that between her, the T/A and the cruiseline, they're going back and forth, up and down. It's giving me a major headache :eek:

When I booked thru RCCL back in Oct for our Sept AOS cruise, it required a $250 deposit per passenger in the cabin. The rest of the $ had to be paid by a certain date (about 2 months from sail date). So I made a $500 deposit when I first booked.... If you just booked this, expect to pay at least this amount per person. After that you can make whatever kind of payments on it you want until the deadline... There is probably some confusion on everyone's part. The passenger may not realize and the TA may be assuming they know it's per person...

The cruise was booked back on June 15th with $100.00 deposit per person for 5 day cruise. My cousin was making a payment on the already booked cruise by calling the T/A since we booked through her. T/A said she told the cruiseline rep to put $200.00 payment on the booking number. It's a big headache. My cousin wants to make payments every month since her and DH are paying for a party of 5.

The cruise was booked back on June 15th with $100.00 deposit per person for 5 day cruise. My cousin was making a payment on the already booked cruise by calling the T/A since we booked through her. T/A said she told the cruiseline rep to put $200.00 payment on the booking number. It's a big headache. My cousin wants to make payments every month since her and DH are paying for a party of 5.

Sounds like one of the parties (TA or RCI) thought they meant $200 per person. I may be slow, but I know my times tables!!!!

Sounds like one of the parties (TA or RCI) thought they meant $200 per person. I may be slow, but I know my times tables!!!!

I was thinking the same thing.

Has she also contacted her card issuer? Sometimes they drag their feet posting credits to get past a interest posting.

Guest OBAYbee
I was thinking the same thing.

Has she also contacted her card issuer? Sometimes they drag their feet posting credits to get past a interest posting.

Great pics!!

"They keep telling her that the money has been refunded, when it hasn't."

Hi,

I work with retail credit card software.

It is quite possible that a refund has been processed, even if you do not see it in your account.

Many credit card processors and banks can take longer to process a refund then they process a sale. Some may take as much as 3 to 5 business days. Its totally legal. The logic is that you have 2-6 weeks before finance charges apply, so having a refund sit around for a few days is no biggie.

This is one of the most difficult issues that I have to deal with on a weekly basis, especially since many people are checking their card statements on line. There is a lot of pressure on the processors/banks to speed this up.

FX

:) My cousin finally got the money ($800.00) credited back to her credit card after talking to about 6 different people. They kept saying that the T/A told them to take $1000.00 on the card and T/A said she told them $200.00 (she only gave the Rep one booking number to post the payment onto). As for me and my family, I'm going to pay the balance in full on March 22nd because I am not trying to have that hassle with the cruiseline at all.

the TA received a fax from the cruise line showing amount paid for

deposit and amount of balance due and the date. The TA goes over that

fax to make sure everything on it is correct. This should have been caught

immediately, and the TA should have called RCI and the client on it.

I've never known any cruise line not to fax....most of the time without

being requested to.

knuckle: There is no other option. You did the standard thing. Nine days or longer, $450 per person deposit at the time of booking. Be glad that they just sucked $900 out of your wallet. I pay for three. WHAM - $1350 gone, just like that. :D :D :D

Carol

Archived