Is Carnival Corp setting up CCL to be a feeder into their other cruise lines

RDC1

Royal Caribbean line carries more passengers than Carnival Cruise line does

To clear things up, Royal Caribbean can at any point in time technically hold more passengers than Carnival, but that's if every single ship sailed over 100 % capacity; annually however Carnival carries more passengers of the two. I believe Royal carries 2.8 million while Carnival carried 3.7 million.

The more I read this type of tread, the more I think that Carnival Corp is not in any financial trouble, like so many are speculating. It seems like they know exactly what they are doing, differentiating their brands, widening the gap between them (budget, mainstream, premium, luxury, and ultra luxury), and creating bridges (the short cruises) for people to sample the next brand up.

If you ask me, it seems like many have missed the big picture, focusing on the demise of tablecloths, live bands, past guest perks, etc, while all along these changes seem to be well thought out, and an important part of Carnival Corp's strategy to make all their brands different and successful in their own, individual way.

Edited by Tapi

The more I read this type of tread, the more I think that Carnival Corp is not in any financial trouble, like so many are speculating. It seems like they know exactly what they are doing, differentiating their brands, widening the gap between them (budget, mainstream, premium, luxury, and ultra luxury), and creating bridges (the short cruises) for people to sample the next brand up.

If you ask me, it seems like many have missed the big picture, focusing on the demise of tablecloths, live bands, past guest perks, while all along, these seem to be well thought out, key ingredients in Carnival Corp's strategy to make all their brands successful in their own, individual way.

Bingo.

If you ask me, it seems like many have missed the big picture, focusing on the demise of tablecloths, live bands, past guest perks, etc, while all along these changes seem to be well thought out, and an important part of Carnival Corp's strategy to make all their brands different and successful in their own, individual way.

Carnival Corporation & plc is fine. Carnival Cruise Line may not be.

To clear things up, Royal Caribbean can at any point in time technically hold more passengers than Carnival, but that's if every single ship sailed over 100 % capacity; annually however Carnival carries more passengers of the two. I believe Royal carries 2.8 million while Carnival carried 3.7 million.

Look at you trying to defend CCL. It's so cute. "technically....over 100%...."

Carnival carries more annually because Carnival chases after the people that can't afford week long cruises whereas RCCL takes people on longer cruises.

RCCL also brings in way way way way more revenue than CCL. Way more.

Having sailed Carnival and Princess, and a few others, I don't think that Carnival is lowering their standard to lead people to Princess. If they are, they are making a big mistake. Princess is very different from Carnival. It's not a natural progression. If I got tired of what Carnival was offering, my next step would be to RCI, or even possibly NCL. Princess is sort of in the HAL/Celebrity genre, while Carnival is more RCI/NCL

The recent move by Princess to over low cost short cruises, with FCC, seems to be attracting a lot of traditionally CCL cruisers to try Princess. I was recently on one out of LA. A lot of the people I talked with had only cruised on CCL before, but were doing the Princess cruise because of the low price and the FCC given. Most indicated that they would be doing Princess Cruises in the future, even after they used the FCC on a 7 day or longer cruise. For Princess the recent offers seem to be successful in not only filling the ships, but also as a marketing tool.

Couple this with the recent changes in dining on Carnival and it seems like it might be a strategy to encourage people to go up market in the CCL family. Getting those that like the more traditional aspects to go Princess and using CCL to be for less traditional, maybe more in competition with NCL, new cruisers.

You betchya!! Great busness plan. Still glad they r working on keeping thier prices down.

Double bingo. But some will never admit that Carnival Corp. could possibly think this way.

Actually, to clear things up, Royal Caribbean can at any one time carry more passengers based on double occupancy, not over capacity.

For the last FY Royal took in 7.7 billion while Carnival took in 15.4.

I don't know what numbers you are looking at.

Now you're mixing Carnival Corp. and Carnival cruise line again.

According to the website I posted earlier:

RCL $4,940,000,000

CCL $2,919,000,000

This is the breakdown by individual cruise lines.

http://Http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/

Tap on the circles in the grid for each lines info.

Now you're mixing Carnival Corp. and Carnival cruise line again.

According to the website I posted earlier:

RCL $4,940,000,000

CCL $2,919,000,000

This is the breakdown by individual cruise lines.

http://Http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/market-share/

Tap on the circles in the grid for each lines info.

Correct, I meant CCL and RCI.

Since the figures on the link you provided are net revenues then these numbers are not the best to use. A better figure would be the gross revenue which tells a different picture.

Correct, I meant CCL and RCI.

Since the figures on the link you provided are net revenues then these numbers are not the best to use. A better figure would be the gross revenue which tells a different picture.

I don't have that info. If you can find it I would love to see that picture too.

Having sailed Carnival and Princess, and a few others, I don't think that Carnival is lowering their standard to lead people to Princess. If they are, they are making a big mistake. Princess is very different from Carnival. It's not a natural progression. If I got tired of what Carnival was offering, my next step would be to RCI, or even possibly NCL. Princess is sort of in the HAL/Celebrity genre, while Carnival is more RCI/NCL

I agree. My displeasure with Carnival hasn't lead me to Princess. It led me to RCI and NCL. And when I get tired of those I will be sailing Celebrity. There's something about Princess I've never found appealing. It and all other Carnival Corporation cruise lines are not on my agenda anywhere in the near future and never will be.

Edited by TheTravelista

Unless you can furnish proof of this absurd statement then your credibility has been diminished further than it has been already.

This has been covered before. Either you do or someone close to you does. No non-employee would beat the drum as hard as you do.

CCL has been cut-backed to the point that it would serve best as an introductory line / 'gateway' to cruising / extreme budget line.

I wonder if after this introduction many newbies would book another cruise. First impression and all that. After all as many said they can go to Applebee's at home. What would be the difference?

I remember the excitement of our first cruise which included MDR dining as well. We were hooked on cruising ever since and never looked back.

Edited by Aldeya

I wonder if after this introduction many newbies would book another cruise. First impression and all that. After all as many said they can go to Applebee's at home. What would be the difference?

I remember the excitement of our first cruise which included MDR dining as well. We were hooked on cruising ever since and never looked back.

I agree completely. I used to LOVE Carnival. Carnival used to have a great product and be a great value. Not a cheapened experience. Carnival became what it is today because they were special and did things the right way. This is no longer the case. When the poop settles from this Triumph incident they will have a huge mess to clean up. Even without the cutbacks they may be forced to change anyways and become a budget cruise line.