No Solos Allowed?

SailingOceansBlue

I've been on 40+ cruises but I am taking my next one as a solo.

Although I have never sailed with MSC, a particular itinerary was too good to pass up and I booked my solo cabin. When I made the reservation, I didn't balk at the 100% single supplement and the second passenger in the cabin was noted as UNOCCUPIED on my confirmation. I called back a few days later when a higher category cabin became available. The reservationist acknowledged that I was travelling solo and happily took care of the upgrade.

This week, however, I called to make my final payment. After being put on hold for quite some time, the reservationist came back and said she had talked to both her manager and the Capacity Control Department and since the cruise was nearly sold out, they were not allowing any single or triple cabins on the sailing. In order to finalize my booking, I would have to add a second name to it--and that the second name would have to have valid passport information provided during pre-registration. I pointed out that I was already paying double so they were getting the full price for the cabin but she wouldn't budge. I insisted there was some kind of miscommunication but after speaking with her manager again she confirmed that without a second passenger, the booking would be invalidated.

I had already booked non-refundable airfare and hotels so cancelling wasn't an option--although I would have liked to have done so and taken my business elsewhere. It was humiliating to have to add a second passenger to the booking and provide their credentials--even though I knew they wouldn't be joining me. The reservationist assured me that when I checked in at the pier, I would just have to tell the check-in agent that the second passenger was a no show and then I could board solo. Now I'm not so sure. If they are so against solo travelers, I'm worried they'll deny me boarding and say, sorry your fare is non-refundable.

Have I booked passage on Noah's Ark? Only passengers with a mate allowed? Have any of you solo travelers ever experienced this kind of discrimination before?

I have done something similar. We were in a group and someone couldn't go. We did not notify the cruise line it was carnival. when she boarded said they had different traveling arrangments. She got paged about 30 min before sail away and they just marked her a no show.

In my experience you do not want to tell cruise line. Another incident happened to our group again a carnival cruise. We all had purchased insurance from carnival. FIRST MISTAKE. when someone couldn't go because mother was in hospital and very ill. She was covered by trip insurance. Carnival cancelled the roomates cruise and had her rebook at single rate. The cruise had gone up and she was out over 1,00 dollars. The cruise was a back to back in Europe. That was with carnival insurance for both guests. In the long run 2 months after cruise was over the person that cancelled cruise got her money back. The one who went and had to pay higher prices got her additional costs refunded. Since then we get insurance from a 3rd party and don't tell the cruise line if someone cancels if final payment has been made. This was about 3 weeks before sailaway.

debkjw

Edited by debkjw
sp

OP, thanks for the warning. Hope everything works out the way you want.

This is just wrong! Is MSC trying to prove a point of some sort by denying boarding to solos? If someone wants a Noah's Ark experience, let them look for it on Mount Ararat.

After finding this out, I will not be sailing on MSC, either, even if going with 100 people.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Although I have never sailed with MSC, a particular itinerary was too good to pass up and I booked my solo cabin. When I made the reservation, I didn't balk at the 100% single supplement and the second passenger in the cabin was noted as UNOCCUPIED on my confirmation. I called back a few days later when a higher category cabin became available. The reservationist acknowledged that I was travelling solo and happily took care of the upgrade.

This week, however, I called to make my final payment. After being put on hold for quite some time, the reservationist came back and said she had talked to both her manager and the Capacity Control Department and since the cruise was nearly sold out, they were not allowing any single or triple cabins on the sailing. In order to finalize my booking, I would have to add a second name to it--and that the second name would have to have valid passport information provided during pre-registration. I pointed out that I was already paying double so they were getting the full price for the cabin but she wouldn't budge. I insisted there was some kind of miscommunication but after speaking with her manager again she confirmed that without a second passenger, the booking would be invalidated.

I had already booked non-refundable airfare and hotels so cancelling wasn't an option--although I would have liked to have done so and taken my business elsewhere. It was humiliating to have to add a second passenger to the booking and provide their credentials--even though I knew they wouldn't be joining me. The reservationist assured me that when I checked in at the pier, I would just have to tell the check-in agent that the second passenger was a no show and then I could board solo. Now I'm not so sure. If they are so against solo travelers, I'm worried they'll deny me boarding and say, sorry your fare is non-refundable.

Have I booked passage on Noah's Ark? Only passengers with a mate allowed? Have any of you solo travelers ever experienced this kind of discrimination before?

I'm sorry you were treated so poorly. I hope the cruise goes better. Thanks for the heads up, no MSC for me ever.

Oh my gosh! You money as a solo wasn't good enough? That's all I need to hear.....no MSC for me, even if there are others that go with me on a cruise. It is blatant discrimination. Thanks for letting us know.

Good luck with your cruise.:)

Agreed! Unfair especially when they already had 200% payment. However, I've never had any desire to go MSC and this seals the deal. In the past think I've noticed that they do offer "attractive" solo rates so what's the deal?

Have any of you solo travelers ever experienced this kind of discrimination before?

I'm curious: Where did this cruise embark from? I've not heard of this kind of situation on cruises embarking from the USA. But if elsewhere, who knows... :-(

Now, the bolded section doesn't make any sense to me (not doubting you, OP, doubting the agent). I get not allowing any triples that haven't already been booked (the triples that are booked should be counted in the capacity). But no singles? It's near capacity so in order to sail, you have to add a passenger???

Something screwy is going on.

I too find this to be very strange. I have no experience with MSC but I have never heard of a situation like this. Nothing about it, especially the MSC policy makes any sense to me and I don't know what to think. I hope somebody provides some explanation.

This is truly astonishing and awful. I am so sorry that you have been treated in this way.

I have done 2 solo cruises, both RCI, and have been treated impeccably from booking to disembarkation.

I echo what others have said - you have paid for 2 people so what does it matter if the other 'body' isn't there - this appears to be discrimination.

I hope that you have no further issues but surely this 'policy' is something that needs to be addressed with the cruise line?

The cruise is round-trip Las Palmas, Gran Canaria (Canary Islands).

They were very clear in what they told me and kept blaming it on the Capacity Control Department--whatever that is. I sensed that they were concerned with maximizing the number of revenue-generating passengers on the ship. By booking singles into double cabins and triples into quad cabins, each of those cabins would be sailing with one less person than they could accommodate--potentially not meeting the cabin's projected on-board spending.

Pretty greedy if that's the case, isn't it?

The cruise is round-trip Las Palmas, Gran Canaria (Canary Islands).

They were very clear in what they told me and kept blaming it on the Capacity Control Department--whatever that is. I sensed that they were concerned with maximizing the number of revenue-generating passengers on the ship. By booking singles into double cabins and triples into quad cabins, each of those cabins would be sailing with one less person than they could accommodate--potentially not meeting the cabin's projected on-board spending.

Pretty greedy if that's the case, isn't it?

I would say greedy is an understatement but what you have said makes perfect sense but not right at all.

Have you thought about calling 'as a new single traveller' and seeing what they say? Maybe different person, different story but just an idea.

Mmm! That's got to make you think twice about booking Solo with MSC.

Thanks for the heads up.

Let us know how you go.

I agree it's money grabbing. They've got double fare but are not happy with that. Now they are just wanting more on board money.

If the purpose is an attempt to generate additional on-board spending by forcing all fares to be physical bodies, it would seem to be a poor business decision. While statistically, it can be said that a passenger will spend a certain amount, any individual passenger's spending is not guaranteed.

If MSC is so desperate that they are depending on full-capacity spending to meet their corporate revenue goals, there might be flaws in their management's leadership.

If the purpose is an attempt to generate additional on-board spending by forcing all fares to be physical bodies, it would seem to be a poor business decision. While statistically, it can be said that a passenger will spend a certain amount, any individual passenger's spending is not guaranteed.

If MSC is so desperate that they are depending on full-capacity spending to meet their corporate revenue goals, there might be flaws in their management's leadership.

That is very true. The solo passenger denied might just spend a lot more than a double occupancy cabin. If that is the reason for this policy, it is most foolish.

Yes, I've heard of this with European cruise lines. My travel agent puts himself down as the second passenger, if the cruise line demands it, on a new booking. I've never heard of a cruise line refusing to honour an existing boking.

I thought Europe was supposed to be welcoming and liberal (sorry :rolleyes:) towards everybody. The European culture in general always struck me as more solo-friendly than the American culture. And yet MSC pulls this "no solos allowed" crap. That's just odd. Perhaps once we find out the full story, a warning thread can be stickied, so solos won't get burned like this again.

If Carnival is shooting themselves in the foot with their service cutbacks, then MSC is stomping on a landmine.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I thought Europe was supposed to be welcoming and liberal (sorry :rolleyes:) towards everybody. The European culture in general always struck me as more solo-friendly than the American culture. And yet MSC pulls this "no solos allowed" crap. That's just odd. Perhaps once we find out the full story, a warning thread can be stickied, so solos won't get burned like this again.

If Carnival is shooting themselves in the foot with their service cutbacks, then MSC is stomping on a landmine.

Most of our fellow European countries and companies are, as are we, solo- friendly. ;-)

Msc is just.... weird imho. In more than just this, but thats another subject. Ive also found "no solo". I looked into multiple itineraries for 2014 departing from Amsterdam, none of them booked up, as Ive come to know and love my fellow countrymen: no clue about how great cruising is thus tge masses dont even consider it. I was looking for 2 staterooms, both solo occupation (me and healthcare provider, so absolute no sharing). Was a back up if something where to cause one of my 2 HAL cruises in 2014 to fall through, seeing how their itineries wouldnt fit me that greatly to reschedule. Results? Very rarely was an option marked sold out, but in I'ld say 90% of the time options were labeled "not bookable for your party size". Ok......... All were bookable for 2 adults in 1 stateroom, but when I want to shell out double for 2 staterooms we're not welcome. Guess I'll happily keep booking HAL or celebrity.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same experience with this cruise line... They would let me book for two people, but not for one. So no MSC cruise for me! (I should've booked a 'honeymoon' cruise and then said my fiancee left me at the altar, might have gotten some free sympathy drinks!)

Edited by shamela

BJ, Some ships do well for solos. Some not. MSC is an Italian budget line catering to Europeans.Not deigned for Americans. If MSC changed the cruise contract you should be able to get out of it. Have you read "Never too old" an extensive MSC blog currently on this page. Elderly gentleman wanting to cruise his final days away.He was treated like garbage.Worth reading. He has since passed.

Yours truly has been a champion of this line ever since I restarted cruising 3 years ago after a 10 year sabbatical and have been on MSC Splendida and MSC Divina and written good reviews about them. Back then the MSC website had some very tempting offers for solo passengers with 0% single supplements on most of it's off-season cruise fares and it even had a separate section within its 'Cruise Deals' for solo passengers to find the offers quickly.

So what has happened to change my mind?

Since MSC UK has come under new management recently their website has removed any reference to solo passengers and has withdrawn all direct special offers to us.

When approached to quote for a solo price on any of the five repositioning cruises from South America to Europe this March/April my courageous agent was told that ALL five ships were FULL apart from MSC Poesia which they were willing to free off one inside cabin for a solo traveller. The sting in the tail was, you guessed it, the price of £2289 (incl. flights) on a cruise previously advertised at £713 p.p. (cruise only).

By my reckoning MSC UK were trying to impose a 100% single supplement on the true fare and those of you who have travelled on repositioning cruises before will know they are usually half empty because of the duration of the voyage and the number of sea days involved.

Can MSC miraculously fill five ships with a total passenger carrying capability of 16,397 for their repositioning voyages where others can't or do you think MSC could be trying to tell solo passengers where to go in two words ??