Worried About Missing My Cruise!

OKSTEngineer

My DW and I are booked on an upcoming NYE cruise, but just found out she has to work late...to get to the point we have to fly out on the day of embarkation. Makes me pretty nervous as there are no direct flights left to our destination, so if we miss a connection, we are toast :eek:! Purchased Carnival Travel insurance but have never been in a situation like this before. Tried to search the board for past experiences on this but not too much info, especially recent info, available. Anyone have info/advice? Not sure if I should be researching flights into the next port of call just in case? Kansas City is bracing for its first real taste if winter this weekend so its just feeding my anxiety further.

have a back up plan if something happens.. check into the train or buses or flights to first port like other poster suggested. This has happened to me but not since 1995. We got stuck because of a winter storm but that was back when the airlines still payed for everything so they flew us to Tampa (were suppose to leave from miami) and then the next day flew us to Cancun.. put us up in hotels gave us food vouchers and then we took the ferry to Cozumel and got on the ship. Missed the first day at see. Hoping for a good outcome and that you make it and have a wonderful vacation.

My DW and I are booked on an upcoming NYE cruise, but just found out she has to work late...to get to the point we have to fly out on the day of embarkation. Makes me pretty nervous as there are no direct flights left to our destination, so if we miss a connection, we are toast :eek:! Purchased Carnival Travel insurance but have never been in a situation like this before. Tried to search the board for past experiences on this but not too much info, especially recent info, available. Anyone have info/advice? Not sure if I should be researching flights into the next port of call just in case? Kansas City is bracing for its first real taste if winter this weekend so its just feeding my anxiety further.

So tell her to call in sick the day before and go. People get sick occasionally and who is to say it can't happen the day before a cruise?

So tell her to call in sick the day before and go.

People get sick occasionally and who is to say it can't happen the day before a cruise?

Exactly what I was thinking!

When I book a cruise, I let my boss know well in advance

so there will be no confusion.

Have you wife talk to her boss (nicely) and explain the situation. Find out if another member of the company can cover for her. If that is not possible, you may have no choice but to catch a red eye or even fly in the day of embarkation, for you don't want to risk the well being of the whole company (and your wife's job security) for a cruise.

Don't let this weekend's snow affect your mood since your cruise is not till next week. While I personally wouldn't do it, you have to remember that lots of people fly in the day of embarkation, and most managed to catch their cruise without incident.

She's a nurse, they have their schedules made out in advance. Didn't want to elaborate in my initial post with all the details, but we assumed she could find someone to switch her night shift from 7pm to 7am (apparently they do this often enough). I guess since its the weekend after Christmas that we are set to leave (Dec 29th) there aren't many takers, and the one person who agreed to do it had to back out. Her supervisor is already aware of the situation because they were assisting us in finding coverage, so calling in sick probably wouldn't be the best move.

Here's your problem regarding the travel insurance you purchased.

1. Good thing is that with the policy you bought,,, you automatically received "Cancel For Any Reason". The bad part of this is that you must cancel 48 hrs prior to departure and you will only receive back at 75% future cruise credit.

Thats about all thats good in your situation.

Whats bad?

You insured a cabin on a cruise.

Whether you or your wife are in that cabin when the ship sails is immaterial. The cruise sailed, you have no coverage if you're not in the cabin. In other words, you can't just say opps, missed the ship. We'll file for insurance reimbursement

Now,,, IF, you notify the ship that you will be late due to a commercial common carrier issue, AND,,, YOU pay out of pocket to catch up to the ship AND,,, they let you on the ship

you MAY have some insurance protection for trip delay expenses.

She's a nurse, they have their schedules made out in advance. Didn't want to elaborate in my initial post with all the details, but we assumed she could find someone to switch her night shift from 7pm to 7am (apparently they do this often enough). I guess since its the weekend after Christmas that we are set to leave (Dec 29th) there aren't many takers, and the one person who agreed to do it had to back out. Her supervisor is already aware of the situation because they were assisting us in finding coverage, so calling in sick probably wouldn't be the best move.

Having been an ER RN for 30+ years, I understand fully well. I work, now semi-retired, in a large ER with 90 RN co-workers and we're always trying to help each other out with schedule conflicts. Hopefully, your wife's manager will make a department wide appeal. Indeed, calling off sick is OUT of the question.

been in that situation a few times...it will work out because her coworkers understand they might need her help on a shift/day trade over the course of the year or their plans change around Christmas Day

I'm old school...you never call in sick when you are not sick (kharma will come back at you)...you never call in sick the last day before vacation starts when everyone knows you are trying to get a trade (your boss might be looking for a doctor's note)...you never call in sick the first day back from vacation (always have an arrangement with a co-worker to cover your shift just in case)