Christmas/New Year's - LIVE - Voyager

Travelcat2

Going to Steve Irwin's Crocodile farm and zoo today in probably 100 degree heat but I would not miss the opportunity to go there. I had great respect for him and miss seeing him on television

You know if you were on Crystal Cruises forthcoming Sydney to Bali voyage 4204 I'm sure you would enjoy listening to this lecturer who has strong links with the late Steve Irwin - they have a great on board enrichment programme.

But I have to recognise that Regent provide a complimentary tour to his Zoo

So once again both lines provide great options to their guests

Glad to hear you are enjoying your visit to Australia - the temperatures are at the moment exceptionally high in some states making it a little unpleasant outdoors

Special Interest Lecturer

John Stainton

In 1992, John Stainton launched Steve Irwin and The Crocodile Hunter series onto Australian television and the entire planet tuned in. It was a worldwide entertainment phenomenon which set a new benchmark for Australian programs in the international television arena. John Stainton produced hundreds of hours of television programs under 'The Crocodile Hunter' brand, including Croc Files and Croc Diaries, for Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, NBC and ITV UK - reaching hundreds of millions of viewers across the world. In 2003, John produced and directed 'The Crocodile Hunter' movie, Collision Course for MGM and went on to devise several more 'Croc Hunter' spin offs; New Breed Vets, Ghosts of War, Steve Irwin’s Great Escapes, Ocean’s Deadliest and in 2008/9 Bindi: The Jungle Girl (winning Emmy and Logie Awards). In 2006, John Stainton produced Steve Irwin’s memorial special He Changed Our World, which aired live on all Australian networks as well as around the world. It was the most watched Australian television live event in 10 years since Princess Diana’s funeral and a world acclaimed tribute to an Aussie legend. In 2009, John produced and directed Your Worst Animal Nightmares, a six part docudrama series for Animal Planet USA, Fox8 Australia, TV3 NZ and Discovery Networks Europe, which was acclaimed for it’s realistic and graphic reenactment sequences. In 2011, John was commissioned by Freehand/BBC to direct a pilot for Lonely Planet, Free Rein starring Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward. He is currently in co-production on a major Australian heist movie with award winning writer Chris Nyst based on the 1984 Fine Cotton Affair. John was recently appointed as Adjunct Associate Professor at Queensland University of Technology.

Edited by Bodogbodog

Definitely would not want to miss that excursion, Travelcat, no matter how hot. Actually, for us, that is a normal summer temperature, and one I would like, but I do appreciate that many do not like such high temps. The key is drinking a lot of water.

I've been on 2 Regent cruises in the past year and have mentioned it each time on the comment cards. It's one of those nitpicky things that annoys me.

Mudhen, you should try The Botanist gin if you can find it. I had it for the first time in Scotland last year and it is absolutely delicious.

Agree Hendricks is a great Gin, received the same sort of look when I asked for it on the Navigator!! Even better with a slice of cucumber or two!

Will keep my eye out for the Botanist, thanks for the heads up.

You know if you were on Crystal Cruises forthcoming Sydney to Bali voyage 4204 I'm sure you would enjoy listening to this lecturer who has strong links with the late Steve Irwin - they have a great on board enrichment programme.

But I have to recognise that Regent provide a complimentary tour to his Zoo

So once again both lines provide great options to their guests

Glad to hear you are enjoying your visit to Australia - the temperatures are at the moment exceptionally high in some states making it a little unpleasant outdoors

Special Interest Lecturer

John Stainton

In 1992, John Stainton launched Steve Irwin and The Crocodile Hunter series onto Australian television and the entire planet tuned in. It was a worldwide entertainment phenomenon which set a new benchmark for Australian programs in the international television arena. John Stainton produced hundreds of hours of television programs under 'The Crocodile Hunter' brand, including Croc Files and Croc Diaries, for Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, NBC and ITV UK - reaching hundreds of millions of viewers across the world. In 2003, John produced and directed 'The Crocodile Hunter' movie, Collision Course for MGM and went on to devise several more 'Croc Hunter' spin offs; New Breed Vets, Ghosts of War, Steve Irwin’s Great Escapes, Ocean’s Deadliest and in 2008/9 Bindi: The Jungle Girl (winning Emmy and Logie Awards). In 2006, John Stainton produced Steve Irwin’s memorial special He Changed Our World, which aired live on all Australian networks as well as around the world. It was the most watched Australian television live event in 10 years since Princess Diana’s funeral and a world acclaimed tribute to an Aussie legend. In 2009, John produced and directed Your Worst Animal Nightmares, a six part docudrama series for Animal Planet USA, Fox8 Australia, TV3 NZ and Discovery Networks Europe, which was acclaimed for it’s realistic and graphic reenactment sequences. In 2011, John was commissioned by Freehand/BBC to direct a pilot for Lonely Planet, Free Rein starring Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward. He is currently in co-production on a major Australian heist movie with award winning writer Chris Nyst based on the 1984 Fine Cotton Affair. John was recently appointed as Adjunct Associate Professor at Queensland University of Technology.

Thank you so much for this information. Really appreciate it. We did manage to love the Australian zoo - even with the almost unbearable temperatures. The only disappointment was that the excursion left the ship at 1:00 p.m. - arrived at our destination at 3:00 p.m. and the place closed at 5:00 p.m. Also, the show we had hoped to see (the crocodile show) was at noon.

We have not seen such a well thought out adventure park. We walked through a park area with kangaroos lying around - very unhappy with the heat. One of them rolled on their back (just like one of my kitties) and I had to take a picture. We also were able to photograph and touch a Koala (no one watching us -- it is apparently a Koala that is used to people photographing her/him and had no problem with it.

The tigers were walked on a leash by three employees and seemed very calm and relaxed (but he, too, was very hot). After we tired of walking in the heat, we took a tram and saw an employee sitting in the shade of a tree with a cheetah. Such a lovely place (but not surprised)

Anyway, we had a great time but were disappointed that we missed all of the shows!

Forgot to say that there isn't anything even remotely interesting to write about except the heat and people sick on board. Don't think anyone is interested in that.

Going to Steve Irwin's Crocodile farm and zoo today in probably 100 degree heat but I would not miss the opportunity to go there. I had great respect for him and miss seeing him on television.

Another great menu tonight but won't have time to type it. Will try to give highlights.

Am interested in people sick on board. Just received notice from TA that we will have a delayed embarkation from Sydney as major GI issue with crew nd passengers. Is it that bad? We have been in Oz now for a week nd are worried, but then are not experienced cruisers! Comments?

Am interested in people sick on board. Just received notice from TA that we will have a delayed embarkation from Sydney as major GI issue with crew nd passengers. Is it that bad? We have been in Oz now for a week nd are worried, but then are not experienced cruisers! Comments?

Do not want to alarm you unnecessarily. The Voyager is being sanitized daily. When passengers disembark in Sydney, the entire ship will be sanitized. Many people have colds. Some have stomach issues but not as bad as norovirus.

The biggest problem I have seen are passengers coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths. Passengers are currently not permitted to serve themselves at the buffet. We cannot even pick up our plates ... they are handed to us by a crew member wearing rubber gloves. Regent is doing everything humanly possible to control this.

Have a great cruise and try not to stress too much.

I have heard many good things about you and your good nature from several cruisers...maybe our paths will cross one day over a martini

We actually met briefly in 2007 at the Embassy Suites when you and your mom were getting ready to sail on a crossing. But we do need to have a martini together - and with Mudhen!

I just returned yesterday from our Navigator holiday cruise...will post on that separately and later once I gather my thoughts and finish the post vacation recovery! I did scan the menus posted by TC and they look identical to the holiday menus on the Navigator. Enjoyed all the menus (except the News Years menu which was a disappointment for a few reasons such as selection and execution by the staff and galley). Otherwise, very nice. We also did a great galley tour with Exec Chef Dino, I will report on that later with my other thoughts on the Navigator.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, hope you don't get sick (we had no such issues on the Navigator)

We actually met briefly in 2007 at the Embassy Suites when you and your mom were getting ready to sail on a crossing. But we do need to have a martini together - and with Mudhen!

Yes, I remember...you were with your husband and had just finished a cruise?

A couple of thoughts before we get off of the ship tomorrow and start our post cruise adventure.

Firstly, we would never do Christmas cruise again.

The 30 children on board are little monsters. Many , complaints about them running up and down stairs. What I find interesting is that some of them have perfect manners.... until their parents let them them loose. I learned a long time ago that the child the parents know does not resemble the child hanging out with their peers without any supervision.

The ship is beautiful. There is something about the carpeting that is mesmerizing. The light and dark blue almost appear to glisten.

Can't wait.for our March cruise which we fully expect to be normal. I will not write a review on this cruise but sincerely appreciate all of the positive feedback:D

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you for the wonderful comments along the way! We are at the Park Hyatt Sydney after a week in Australia and looking forward to boarding tomorrow! Really enjoyed your feedback! Happy New Year!

Do not want to alarm you unnecessarily. The Voyager is being sanitized daily. When passengers disembark in Sydney, the entire ship will be sanitized. Many people have colds. Some have stomach issues but not as bad as norovirus.

The biggest problem I have seen are passengers coughing and sneezing without covering their mouths. Passengers are currently not permitted to serve themselves at the buffet. We cannot even pick up our plates ... they are handed to us by a crew member wearing rubber gloves. Regent is doing everything humanly possible to control this.

Have a great cruise and try not to stress too much.

Hi TC, I've enjoyed your thread very much. Having left the Voyager in Singapore, you've made the withdrawal symptoms a little easier.

The illness was already going around the ship when we were aboard for the previous segment. It was only "the trots", and certainly bacterial; it was cleared up within a day with an antibiotic and Imodium. Heard whispered, "Shhhhh.... don't say anything - you'll be quarantined!!!" So you can imagine why it spread!

My pet peeve about these kinds of things: I really believe the cause of spreading anything is the use of spoons and tongs on the buffet. EVERYONE is told to use them, therefore everyone shares the germs. The virus/bacteria ends up on the entire room's hands, if you're having any kind of finger food, it's transferred immediately to your mouth unless you use hand sanitizer on the way back to your table. (And, there is evidence that hand sanitizer doesn't eliminate viruses, only bacteria.) People look at me like I'm a nutbar for using a napkin to use the communal serving tongs but I almost never get sick. And, what's the harm in using your hands to pick up a sandwich that only YOU will be eating?? (Not touching other food or putting it back of course.) Anyway, end of rant.

Would you do me a favour? Please say "Hi" to bartender Alessandro in the Voyager Lounge, and remind him that he must email Vicki to keep his Ferrari club membership active. He'll get a kick out of that. :) It's his first contract, and he's such a well brought up young man and really made our first Regent cruise a lot more fun.

Safe travels, and keep the updates coming!

Thank you Travelcat for your reports and for reinforcing my idea (held without firsthand knowledge) that a Christmas cruise would not be a good idea. Now I don't have to take one myself to find out for sure what I suspected.

Thanks for all the reports TC!

We did an Easter cruise last year on the Navigator-we feel as you do about children! and were apprehensive! The children were very well behaved--HOWEVER--the adults were possibly the worst we've ever seen on any cruise line. The staff even commented about several "standout" women! We had conversations with fellow cruisers about the behavior and all were in agreement with us. Age had no bearing on behavior. There were several women "of a certain age" who certainly showed their poor manners-and consistently I might add. One woman went so far as to complain that the shops in St Martin should have been open on Good Friday--she was inconvenienced by the closures. I will admit, I lost my composure with her after that statement.

We've booked next year right after Christmas and over the New Year's--as we are just the two of us with NO family it makes for a nice holiday.

Debi

Thanks for all the reports TC!

We did an Easter cruise last year on the Navigator-we feel as you do about children! and were apprehensive! The children were very well behaved--HOWEVER--the adults were possibly the worst we've ever seen on any cruise line. The staff even commented about several "standout" women! We had conversations with fellow cruisers about the behavior and all were in agreement with us. Age had no bearing on behavior. There were several women "of a certain age" who certainly showed their poor manners-and consistently I might add. One woman went so far as to complain that the shops in St Martin should have been open on Good Friday--she was inconvenienced by the closures. I will admit, I lost my composure with her after that statement.

We've booked next year right after Christmas and over the New Year's--as we are just the two of us with NO family it makes for a nice holiday.

Debi

Hi Debi, not to rain on your parade or anything but you might even have kids on the Navigator New Year's cruise next year. Some parents have no issues pulling their kids out of school these days, esp pre or post holidays. Regent split the itinerary into 2 for 2014 (one for Christmas and the other New Years), whereas this year it was 12 days over both Holidays. I will be reporting on my experience on the Navigator this year, where we did have a lot of kids. But if it is any help, we did enjoy our cruise and didn't let the small things get under our skin, which was easy to do with all the nice holiday food and champagne flowing so freely!

Hi Debi, not to rain on your parade or anything but you might even have kids on the Navigator New Year's cruise next year. Some parents have no issues pulling their kids out of school these days, esp pre or post holidays. Regent split the itinerary into 2 for 2014 (one for Christmas and the other New Years), whereas this year it was 12 days over both Holidays. I will be reporting on my experience on the Navigator this year, where we did have a lot of kids. But if it is any help, we did enjoy our cruise and didn't let the small things get under our skin, which was easy to do with all the nice holiday food and champagne flowing so freely!

Oh--the kids were really not the issue! I'll take them any day over those adults last year!

I work in a business where we provide a school ( for a fee, of course)during our horse show circuits and I am accustomed to kids being out of school for two or three months to ride. And here in SW Florida, the children go back to school this Wednesday after the Christmas break. As long as we can have a nice quiet nook on the pool deck or up above (for the breeze) we are happy!

I think ones experience with children on cruises is a total lottery. Obviously there will be fewer on the longer itineraries and in theory during school times but on our several Regent cruises, including Christmas, we've never had a problem with unruly children. Some of the adults were a very different matter. Or maybe we've just been lucky.

Thanks for your commentary TC. I know you shoot from the hip and hearing both the positives AND negatives is a lot more helpful than the gushing non-stop infomercials we sometimes read. I am looking forward to seeing the refitted Voyager, warts and all, at the end of 2014. Some friends are joining her in Sydney today bound for New Zealand and I know they will have an opinion (!) so it will be interesting to hear their thoughts too.

Communication is a bit spotty right now. Internet was turned off 6 am today (19 hours earlier for those of you on the west coast.

SWELLDAME, I am so sorry that I did not read your email before disembark. We will be back on board in March. Please remind me and I will certainly make an effort to see him. Also,it is interesting that we now have someone to blame for the illnesses..... the passengers on your cruise:-)

I should said that passengers were as bad as children. The complaints Were crazy. One couple complained about too many sea days. How can someone politely respond to that other than to ask if they saw the itinerary when they booked.

Passengers embarking in Sydney may have been disappointed because elaboration was moved to 5 pm. Every passenger had to leave the ship while it is being sanitized.

Post cruise excursion was too long tour operator was good but had difficulty the day to get us to hotel at 5:30 pm. There was a bit of a mutiny so got to hotel a little after 5.

We upgraded to a executive suite at four seasons... paying difference between what regent is paying and this suite. A cup of coffee in Sydney can be $8. By paying extra we get a full breakfast as well as light snacks and cocktails at night. Also free internet.

Another all day excursion tomorrow... then a free day and finally home. Excuse typos... hunting and pecking on my Kindle tablet.

Thanks for the kind comments:D

Edited by Travelcat2