Christmas/New Year's - LIVE - Voyager

Travelcat2

While I await the response from the Food and Beverage Director, I have Googled cucumber sandwiches. The most popular response is that "butter" is used on the bread. Here is an interesting website http://downtonabbeycooks.com/2012/02/21/tea-tuesdays-welcome-south-africa-with-those-little-tea-sandwiches/#more-1348

Tonight (Monday night) when I return to my suite there will be the events for New Year's Eve. Assuming that I can get online tomorrow, I will post the events as well as the New Year's Eve menu and any New Year's Day festivities. Looking forward to New Year's on the Voyager.

There is a special Captain on board that will remain with us as we go through the Barrier Reef (4 days). He is also giving extremely informative lectures and will give reports during the day -- much like those given on Alaska cruises. We were able to see the deadly "box jellyfish" from our balcony. There are more that anyone can imagine - definitely frightening.

If the Reef Captain is Peter Martin and if he has his wife, Judy with him, then please say hello from the "class of 2012! We enjoyed their company several times at dinner and found them to be delightful company.

It's interesting to read your thoughts on the pastries - last Voyager cruise for us, Kevin Lee was the pastrychef, who may be the Frenchman referred to earlier in the thread?

If the Reef Captain is Peter Martin and if he has his wife, Judy with him, then please say hello from the "class of 2012! We enjoyed their company several times at dinner and found them to be delightful company.

It's interesting to read your thoughts on the pastries - last Voyager cruise for us, Kevin Lee was the pastrychef, who may be the Frenchman referred to earlier in the thread?

The Pastry Chef from the Mariner Crossing earlier this year, I believe was Pascal Eber - He is absolutely the very best. There was a pastry chef on Navigator in the summer season in 2012 that was also pretty good. A good Pastry Chef makes the tea time experience.

Jacquie, So interested in your comment about service in Sette Mari. I couldn't agree more. It was a real frustration to us to be one of the first 2/3 couples thru the door and have to wait 30 minutes for a glass of wine. Noted this problem on our comment card both mid-cruise and at the end and again on our second leg. NOTHING CHANGED.

Still the food was good so we revisited.

Bill

I'll have to look up the name of the pastry chef and reef Captain and will report back.

Regent uses cream cheese with chives on their cucumber sandwiches.

There are a lot of wonderful sounding events this evening. Will post them a bit later.

Have seen the menu and only remember caviar and miso glazed grouper..... next time I come down to the computer center I'll have the menu and schedule with me.

The sea is amazing calm. The calmness enables us to see fish flying around and the box sting rays

NEW YEAR'S EVE ON THE VOYAGER

6:45 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. A pre-dinner Special - Regent Proudly Presents Terry Bishop in "Tales and Tunes of a Troubadour". Terry presents the other side of his talents this evening in a show of music and gentle humor. Enjoy songs and sing-a-longs from the "West Country Minstrel" and take the chance to enjoy Terry's Terry's anecdotes along the way - the perfect aperitif ahead of this evening's New Year's Eve Dinner.

7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Dancing Delights. The Regent Signature Quartet present background dance favorites for your early evening entertainment. Glide across the floor or catch up with friends for cocktails and conversation (Horizon Lounge).

7:00 - 10:00 p.m. NEW YEAR'S EVE DINNER (MENU FOLLOWS ON NEXT POST)

The Compass Rose opens later this evening for you to enjoy and celebrate in style ahead of this evening's special Cirque L'Amour show at 10pm and then the midnight festivities.

7:30 - 8:15 p.m. Simply Spontaneous. Enjoy pre-dinner favorites in the perfect venue to meet friends and fellow guests ahead of dining this evening with melodies from Kashia and Boogle.

9:00 p.m. HAPPY NEW YEAR NEW ZEALAND! The celebrations commence as we toast 2014 with our 8 Kiwi guests!

9:15 - 10:00 p.m. Atrium ivories: Resident Pianist Sergay presents pre-show sounds for New year's Eve - the perfect combination after dessert and before the show.

REGENT PROUDLY PRESENTS CIRQUE L'AMOUR WITH THE JEAN ANN RYAN SINGERS AND DANCERS" "Amour veut tout sans nombre, amour n'a point de lol." "Love wants everything without condition, love has no law". Enjoy this spectacular performance which carries you to the stunning nightlife of Paris for an evening of breathtaking beauty and aerial artistry. Capture the romance of France classics including "La Vie En Rose," the opulence of the Lido de Paris, the high kicking of the Follies Bergeres, the sensuality of the Crazy Horse and a show-stopping Can-Can finale from the Moulin Rouge. Set your heart on Romance and love as we explore Cirque L'Amour.

11:00 p.m. HAPPY NEW YEAR AUSTRALIA! Raise a glass to our 64 Australian guests as the clock strikes midnight in Sydney.

11pm-12:30a.m. NEW YEAR'S EVE COUNTDOWN CELEBRATION LIVE! Join the Officers, Crew and Fellow Guests for a stylish Regent New year Celebration! Raise a glass of bubbly to ring out the old and ring in the new with classic dance favorites from the Regent Signature Orchestra and the Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers. Celebrate with premium canapes, treats from the bar and a few surprises along the way to toast in one big Voyager family party.

11:15 - 2:30 am - New Year's Cozy Countdown. Narrow down those New Year's Resolutions and make that final wish! Enjoy the intimate and quieter surroundings of the room at the top to see in 2014 with Sergey on piano.

12:30 - 1:45 a.m. Spontaneous New Year's party. The party moves to the Voyager Lounge as Kashla and Boogle celebrate the start of 2014 in style with upbeat melodies for you to boogie into New Year's night.

1:456 a.m. - Late - Jukebox Disco - You choose the hits to take to the dance floor for a boogie,.

2:00 a.m. HAPPY NEW YEAR BACK HOME TO THE VOYAGER'S PHILIPPINE AND INDONESIAN CREW! It is midnight in Manila and Bali. Happy New year too to Australian's from Perth.

3:00 a.m. - HAPPY NEW YEAR BACK HOME! To our guest and crew from Thailand - it's 2014!

Edited by Travelcat2

NEW YEAR GALA MENU

Crabmeat Stuffed Jumbo Prawn with American Caviar, Hibiscus Vinaigrette

or

Fresh Globed Artichoke, Tomato Coulis, Curry Endive, Toasted Pine nuts, Aged Balsamic Vinegar

Porcini Mushroom Cream Soup with Truffle Oil

or

Assorted Baby Leaves, Melon Balls, Asparagus Shavings, Champagne Vinaigrette

Seared Foie Gras with Apple Fruit Tart, Port Wine - Black Current Sauce

or

Spinach and Goat Cheese Ravioli, Soave White Wine Sauce

Miso Glazed Fresh Black Grouper Fillet in Banana Leaf, Sticky Rice and Lime

or

Roast Tenderloin of Black Angus Beef and Half Florida Lobster Tail, Yukon Mash, Vegetables, Cabernet Reduction and Sauce Hollandaise

Baked Alaska, Traditional New Year's Eve Dessert

or

Vairhona Chocolate Volcano with Passion Fruit Lava, Crispy Cocoa Gruet and Caramel Sauce

Petits Fours

Vegetarian Selection - Herb Marinated Tofu and Vegetable Brochette

Green Asparagus Risotto with Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, Red Bell Pepper Coulis

Featured Wines

Bodegas Castano, Chardonnay-Macabeo, Murcia, Alicante, Spain 2011

Hess, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma Valley, USA 2010

Recommended Reserve Wines

Bodegas Catena Zapata Chardonnay, Mendoza, Argentina 2011 - $58

Jordan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley California, USA 2009 90- $90

28 minutes to midnight on the beautiful Voyager. Magnificent show tonight.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM DOWN UNDER!!!!!

Wonderful posts of activities over Christmas and New Year. We salivated over the very special menus and thought that the cruise is not all that expensive considering all you get from it. Certainly such meals and treatment would be ridiculously expensive on land here in London. Barbara and I have just watched on TV the fireworks and celebrations in Sydney and would like to wish you, Jackie, Dennis and all CC members on board and at home a prosperous New Year.

It is a bit weird that it is still not midnight on December 31st in the U.S. and it is almost 1:00 p.m. in Australia.

There are no special menu's to post on New Year's Day. We anchored in Cooks Town around noon on January 1st. The "officers" on the ship served food on the pool deck -- such delicacies as escargot, Indian curry chicken, Adobo chicken (from the Philippines), etc. Quite tasty.

Sorry but I cannot post the name of the pastry chef on board due to the comments I have made about him. I can say that he is French. Have not seen hide nor hair of the Reef Captain. He is probably working hard. If his name appears again, I will post it. He has been a Reef Captain in this area for over 30 years so he is an older gentleman with a lovely sense of humor/humour!

Again, New Year's greetings to all!

Gnomie1

What is your suite number, or better yet, what area of ship is affected by the smell of sewage?? We will be on Voyager for 26 days this summer.

We were on Voyager Beijing to London last spring and one of our friends had same problem with foul smell. They complained to GM but nothing got done until their travel agent intervened with Regent and they moved them.

I am really done posting about the holidays but will no doubt post some things of interest (at least to me). I may possibly post the Captain's Farewell dinner in a few nights.

The following is for readers who have not been to Australia. When we were here in 1987, it was very interesting to see adults and children wearing baseball type hats with material hanging in the back to protect the back of the neck from sun rays. As has been reported for a long time, the sun rays are worse here than anywhere in the world (and the cancer rate is the highest in the world). The "hole in the atmosphere" is real.

In any case, we went on a Barrier Reef excursion today (did not like the excursion but that is another story). I did find it particularly interesting that in order to snorkel, you must don a full body suit that covers your head, neck, arms, hands, legs and feet. This is to protect you from the sun and also from sting rays. Photos we saw of divers show not only their bodies covered , but their faces. Quite amazing to see. As I may or may not have reported earlier, passengers on board saw hundreds/thousands/millions? of "box sting rays" from the ship that are extremely deadly (you may want to Google them). We sailed for many, many miles with these things accompanying us ship side. Very frightening!

We have cancelled tomorrow's excursions for reasons that are best not to get into.

Edited by Travelcat2

In any case, we went on a Barrier Reef excursion today (did not like the excursion but that is another story).

We have cancelled tomorrow's excursions for reasons that are best not to get into.

I hope you will tell us the background eventually.

Yes - I meant box jellyfish. I was thinking about Steve Irwin's death..... we will be going to his crocodile farm and zoo in Darwin in a couple of days. There were sting rays around where the snorkeling was yesterday. Fortunately, no box jellyfish.

The tourist operators in North Queensland took a big gamble in embarking on their protection plan against these creatures. They are in fact found all over the Indo-Pacific, but they decided to take a 'positive prevention' strategy on the Reef, hoping other places where such stingers are prevalent will follow. In reality, stings are rare, deaths even more so (64 in Australia in 140 years). But the lycra suits are seen as a 'seat belt' approach - you hope it won't happen, but if it does at least you're best prepared, even if you look silly. Good on 'em I say.

And if you're heading to Bali, Thailand, Malaysia or the Philippines for some snorkelling, take your lycra with you:o