Cost Comparison

Chelsea Cruiser

Yes, AMA is much more expensive if you do their pre- and/or post-cruise extensions. [As are ocean lines, generally.]

The benefit with AMA is that not only do they handle all the arrangements for you and "hold your hand" throughout the land portion -- you keep the same Cruise Director from the cruise. That sense of continuity gave much added value to our cruise. [Of course, we had the famous Reka! If you didn't like the CD, this would be more of a threat than a treat. ;)]

Edited by jazzbeau

I can't speak to GCT. But we took our first river cruise last November and, compared to ocean cruises, these are my thoughts:

An ocean cruise ranges from being a big city to being a megalopolis.

A river cruise ranges from being a hamlet to a village.

An ocean cruise is far horizons and vast panoramas.

A river cruise is close up landscapes and middle horizons.

An ocean cruise has something happening almost every hour. You can participate or just chill, depending on personal preference.

On a river cruise there will be 'chill' times as the ship travels between ports.

We have not taken a 'luxury' cruise (yet). Overall, I met new and interesting people on both kinds of cruises, I enjoyed the food on both, I slept well in comfortable well-planned cabins on both, I was never bored on either.

DH and I love ocean cruising. The river cruise was an experiment to see if we liked it. We loved it. 2014 was already booked when we did the experiment. We may grab a river cruise deal in 2014 if one appears. In 2015 and forward, we plan to include at least one river cruise and one ocean cruise in our retiree adventures.

I can't speak to GCT. But we took our first river cruise last November and, compared to ocean cruises, these are my thoughts:

An ocean cruise ranges from being a big city to being a megalopolis.

A river cruise ranges from being a hamlet to a village.

An ocean cruise is far horizons and vast panoramas.

A river cruise is close up landscapes and middle horizons.

An ocean cruise has something happening almost every hour. You can participate or just chill, depending on personal preference.

On a river cruise there will be 'chill' times as the ship travels between ports.

We have not taken a 'luxury' cruise (yet). Overall, I met new and interesting people on both kinds of cruises, I enjoyed the food on both, I slept well in comfortable well-planned cabins on both, I was never bored on either.

DH and I love ocean cruising. The river cruise was an experiment to see if we liked it. We loved it. 2014 was already booked when we did the experiment. We may grab a river cruise deal in 2014 if one appears. In 2015 and forward, we plan to include at least one river cruise and one ocean cruise in our retiree adventures.

Great post. You mirror my feelings about ocean and river cruises.

As of 12/31/2013 I've been on 14 river cruises and 20 ocean cruises with 2 river and 2 ocean book for 2014.

Edited by rogerdawhip

If you're the kind of folks that would only sleep in the room anyway, than the bottom deck is right. If you want to enjoy the view from your cabin instead of the lounge, than a higher deck makes sense. December sounds too cold to waste space & money for an outside balcony.

When in port, no matter what deck you're on, there's a big chance that your view be of another similar ship. They stack them up in port.

It's more important to avoid the last few cabins at the back, which (no matter which deck) will have engine noise/vibration.

The bottom deck has high windows with no real views. The middle deck will probably have French balconies, which we found perfectly adequate to give full width views and fresh air when wanted. The top deck is similar - the views may be better, but if you're docked against another ship you're still looking directly into someone else's cabin.

It's more important to avoid the last few cabins at the back, which (no matter which deck) will have engine noise/vibration.

The bottom deck has high windows with no real views. The middle deck will probably have French balconies, which we found perfectly adequate to give full width views and fresh air when wanted. The top deck is similar - the views may be better, but if you're docked against another ship you're still looking directly into someone else's cabin.

This really depends on the cruise line. I've been in the bottom deck and had a full sized window, and been close to the rear...but the crew quarters were behind the public cabins...no noise from the engine at all, or the crew either. I've also been in a middle deck, and on a top deck (once with French balcony, once with full balcony). I doubt I'd ever spring for the balcony again as I spend so little time in the cabin. As others have said, it all depends whether you want to be alone or in public space.

Edited by Barrheadlass

Should we avoid the staterooms that are on the bottom deck, I ask because the cruise we are planning to do is in December 2014, so is the cost of French/balconies worth the extra money

I would be claustrophobic on the lowest level of most ships so that is why I don't choose the so called "aquarium " rooms. That's my concern. I have known people who had lower deck rooms that reported noise.

This really depends on the cruise line. I've been in the bottom deck and had a full sized window, and been close to the rear...but the crew quarters were behind the public cabins...no noise from the engine at all, or the crew either. I've also been in a middle deck, and on a top deck (once with French balcony, once with full balcony). I doubt I'd ever spring for the balcony again as I spend so little time in the cabin. As others have said, it all depends whether you want to be alone or in public space.

We never spent time in our cabin only to change and sleep. Lots of public space, both indoors and out on a Rivercruise ship. If you really want to spend time in your cabin I think a suite would be worth looking into. Most of the Riverboats have small cabins compared to an ocean liner.

I would be claustrophobic on the lowest level of most ships so that is why I don't choose the so called "aquarium " rooms. That's my concern. I have known people who had lower deck rooms that reported noise.

I share your claustrophobia! That's why we always opt for a French or real balcony regardless of the season. If I only had a porthole window I would go NUTS!!! :D I had never heard the term "aquarium room" before but I love it...very descriptive but I have trouble with the underwater submarine trips too. I went on one in Cabo and it was amazing but I was very anxious to go back upstairs.

Obviously the Aquarium class windows are small in comparison to the French balcony but they are way larger than a porthole I was pleasantly surprised how much light and how much you can see looking out. For us square footage of the cabin is the most important. Not all ships are created equal in this regard.

Obviously the Aquarium class windows are small in comparison to the French balcony but they are way larger than a porthole I was pleasantly surprised how much light and how much you can see looking out. For us square footage of the cabin is the most important. Not all ships are created equal in this regard.

Is that an actual cabin category? (I'm serious) I thought it was making fun of the cabins with the porthole. :o You are so right about the cabin size.

• 3 months later...
In January 2014, I'm taking GCTs (used to be OATs) winter Adriatic cruise on one of their 50 passenger coastal ships. I was on one in July 2012 and fell in love with coastal cruising. GCT has 3 coastal ships. Their cabins and balconies are huge compared to river ships. In July 2014, I again taking a cruise on one of GCTs coastal ships. This time it is their Riviera trip. Lastly, I have their Rhine Xmas cruise booked for December 2014.

I also have a deposit down for a spring 2015 on GCT's new river Bordeaux river cruise.

We've done close to a dozen ocean cruises, and have started investigating other options. I read your post about coastal cruising the Adriatic in January and would be interested in any comments you may have about your trip.

We have done NO river cruises, so can't compare anything to them.

I'd be interested in trying a river cruise, but there are so many lines, I'm still trying to work my way through the advantages and disadvantages of each.

However, we DO love to hit port independentally because we take a lot of photos. Both of us have never been comfortable with bus trips as it seems to take forever getting 40 people on target...and bathroom breaks take forever.

Is it likely that if we enjoy touring a port on our own for the photography aspect that we'd be unhappy with River cruises?

I'd be grateful for any comments you or anyone else might have.

Thanks.

You can email me at yknot05 at hotmail dot com if you'd prefer. That's yknot zero five .

Thanks again.

Hello lyndaler,

if you are happy with the somewhat "slower pace" of river cruising and do not mind being with less than 200 people on a ship I do not see why you could be unhappy with river cruising as a means for taking looots of photos!

There are some people very much into photography on the river cruising board, with lots of suggestions I am sure. :)

Some itineraries are better than others for independent port exploring. I think the Rhine and Danube would work very well for you.

From what I have read, the bus trips out of ports on the Rhone seem longer, but I would take a trip out to the Pont Du Gard in a hardbeat!. I have been to Provence and loved the Roman antiquities.

Ukraine is tricky at the moment and I leave it to others to give you comments on Russia or Asia.

On the Rhine and Danube there is IMO enough to see as an individual explorer. The only thing is that many excursions are inclusive, so you would pay for something you might not be interested in.

The Seine I cannot comment on and the new Bordeaux cruise I am very sceptical about, I do not see it as a good idea for a first time river cruiser.

A deciding factor might be if you prefer taking photos of nature or towns and architecture.

A coastal cruise sounds a nice "inbetween". There are several European companies that offer that as well.

Arosa has a ship that leaves the rivers and canals of the Netherlands and includes a trip out along the coast for a few hours. CroisiEurope, for example, also does an Adriatic cruise. Not sure which cruises go there, but for spectacular scenery Croatia and Serbia are great IMO (have been there).

So, have fun planning!

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
additional information

GCT (more correctly, GCCL) offers several itineraries in the Med. http://www.gct.com/trips?f=t%21Small%2BShip%2BCruise%2BTour&icid=global:smallshiprivercruise:smallshipcruisetours

You will go to some of the same ports as on the major cruise lines as well as smaller ports that the big boats don't hit. 50 pax ships, divided into two groups each with a program director. When a bus trip is part of the itinerary, it is one per group, so no crowding. Unlike the river boats, the cabins have real beds.

Meals are or limited in terms of choices, but the chef was great in terms of accommodating special needs (vegetarian and low fat). And the quality was very good. Ship board activities were limited, but several evenings were in port and land based activities were available. I really enjoyed watching the Coatia - Iceland World Cup qualifier in a bar in Split.

lyndaler...

I have enjoyed my 2 small ship cruises much more than my 13 river cruises mainly due to the ports (Adriatic coast) and the fewer number of passangers .. 50 vs 140.

I also like to wander the streets of each city visited and take many photos. Most stops afford ample opportunity to do this. A few ports require a bus (Delphi, Butrint, Hvar, Athens) but ship docks right in town for the majority of the ports.

Edited by rogerdawhip

• 4 weeks later...

I was really surprised to find that Viking's longships "aquarium class" cabins actually have more square footage (150 sq ft) than the french balcony cabins (135 sq ft)!

Then I read that when the ships are in port, there is only 2 feet between your french balcony and the neighboring ship next door, which basically necessitates closing the window coverings anyway, I decided that we will be quite happy outside on the sundeck or in public lounge spaces on the ship.

And, after a great CC reviewer posted the pictures of how close the ships are during this flotilla in port, I was convinced that a balcony was not necessary for us in Europe.

With the difference in the cost, we have 3 days pre-cruise in Amsterdam. I don't think we will be getting "less", but I do think they book up very early as many savvy travelers are quite happy to have these cabins. We don't mind the stairs. :)

Bottom line, it takes all kinds of preferences and personalities to plan what works for you. Enjoy your trip and have an adventure! :D

We have cruised on Vantage, the sister line to GCT. We love Vantage, their prices are always better than Viking. I know people that have done GCT and enjoyed their cruises.

There are budget lines, like Gate 1 that give you a less par cruise. Gate 1 is usually cheaper than just about anyone.

When I started researching river cruises (last July/early August?) I did a spreadsheet with multiple tabs and I know there was a thread where people shared what they tracked in their spreadsheets. I started with itineraries because my husband and I had specific interests and there weren't too many options. I then had columns for:

Itinerary

boat

Cabin size (sq ft)

# night cruise

Price per person

Includes? (this notes whether that price includes gratuity, alcohol, etc)

Per Diem (price per person/total cost)

Cost per sq ft (price per person/cabin size)

Total cabins (on boat)

Pax (# passengers on boat)

NOTES (for me, I wanted a fridge in the cabin so this is where I made a note of that)

This spreadsheet also allowed me to compare different size cabins on the same boat/itinerary so we could look at what level we wanted to pay for, etc.

I post these very specific details because it's important to show how different people prioritize what they are looking for in a trip and to emphasize - as so many have - that there will never be a one-size-fits-all response to a generic question:D

(we opted for Avalon Nuremberg - Basel on Avalon Vista, xmas market cruise, Panorama "suite" with the wall to wall sliding windows...)

Part of my challenge in deciding is that I travel solo and refuse to pay 200%, especially on more expensive trips....

Some of the Scenic boats have one single cabin on them. As they only have one bed I can't see how there would be a supplement.

Part of my challenge in deciding is that I travel solo and refuse to pay 200%, especially on more expensive trips....

I have found that GCT has the best prices for single travelers....the SS is about 17%.

The companies that have single cabins actually do charge a SS but it is hidden. A double cabin on deck A might be $4500 while the single cabin is $5500 therefore a $1000 SS.

Some lines like Uniworld do not charge a SS for double cabins on some cruises but you usually to not get to travel on their best dates.