yes, I know its weird but...

Hubby says no more cruise to places that don't have nice bathrooms--as in western style!! So, what are bathrooms like in NZ, Australia and maybe island nations in South Pacific. I know this sounds bad but we have had a lot of bad experiences with toilets and he is getting tired of it. And, of course, he's a guy (i.e., easier)! I don't like eastern holes-in-the ground, even if they are ceramic, and I need a seat (not like in Mexico and parts of Ukraine)!!

Thanks for any help, and apologies to our Aussie friends,

ML

Hubby says no more cruise to places that don't have nice bathrooms--as in western style!! So, what are bathrooms like in NZ, Australia and maybe island nations in South Pacific. I know this sounds bad but we have had a lot of bad experiences with toilets and he is getting tired of it. And, of course, he's a guy (i.e., easier)! I don't like eastern holes-in-the ground, even if they are ceramic, and I need a seat (not like in Mexico and parts of Ukraine)!!

ML

G'day..well in Australia we do have flush toilets with a seat, like you have in the USA, although a few backyard dunnies still abound in the bush and outer suburbs of some towns and cities, fair dinkum. Just watch out for the red back spiders lurking under the toilet seat.

NZ is fine, but some of those Pacific Islands have holes in the ground.

Come over and enjoy !!! After all, a dodgy loo won't hurt you !!

Edited by NSWP

I know this is a serious question by the OP, but really!? Australia and NZ are no different (bathroom wise) to the U.S. We are both civilised, westernised societies. The majority of the smaller Pacific Islands that the cruise lines visit have westernised bathroom facilities/toilet blocks.

It is safer to use a hole in the ground than a upright seat. It is a scientifically proven fact that a hole in the ground is a better angle for the body to clear the bowls reducing the chance of leftovers that cause bowl cancer. In India enema cleansing is also popular too and very hygienic. It may seem backwards to us but these civilisations that have a hole in the floor do have their merits.

On the other hand any 5 star hotel in the world has decent bathroom facilities. I have found over the years that it is far better to fork out 5 star prices to avoid the filth of run down places. I refuse to stay in any hotel less than 5 star.

G'day..well in Australia we do have flush toilets with a seat, like you have in the USA, although a few backyard dunnies still abound in the bush and outer suburbs of some towns and cities, fair dinkum. Just watch out for the red back spiders lurking under the toilet seat.

NZ is fine, but some of those Pacific Islands have holes in the ground.

Come over and enjoy !!! After all, a dodgy loo won't hurt you !!

Les

Thanks and AHHHHH...about the spiders!! We have used many "dodgy loo's" and agree they won't hurt but spiders :eek::eek:!!!

We won't let it change our plans but always good to 'know before you go'

g'day mate

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

I know this is a serious question by the OP, but really!? Australia and NZ are no different (bathroom wise) to the U.S. We are both civilised, westernised societies. The majority of the smaller Pacific Islands that the cruise lines visit have westernised bathroom facilities/toilet blocks.

Thanks for the reply and this is what I expected. I only posted because we were surprised when we went to Russia and Ukraine, where we expected western toilets and didn't find them! I admit this is our ignorance but when hubby said that, I thought we could ask and find out. Yes, it was serious question, not meant to be arrogant or disrespectful, just trying to find out. I appreciate your answer, thank you.

It is safer to use a hole in the ground than a upright seat. It is a scientifically proven fact that a hole in the ground is a better angle for the body to clear the bowls reducing the chance of leftovers that cause bowl cancer. In India enema cleansing is also popular too and very hygienic. It may seem backwards to us but these civilisations that have a hole in the floor do have their merits.

On the other hand any 5 star hotel in the world has decent bathroom facilities. I have found over the years that it is far better to fork out 5 star prices to avoid the filth of run down places. I refuse to stay in any hotel less than 5 star.

Possibly all that research is true, but for my money, nothing beats a nice clean western toilet, with a seat!! And you appear to agree, despite the science!!:)

Thank you

ML

Thanks for the reply and this is what I expected. I only posted because we were surprised when we went to Russia and Ukraine, where we expected western toilets and didn't find them! I admit this is our ignorance but when hubby said that, I thought we could ask and find out. Yes, it was serious question, not meant to be arrogant or disrespectful, just trying to find out. I appreciate your answer, thank you.

Possibly all that research is true, but for my money, nothing beats a nice clean western toilet, with a seat!! And you appear to agree, despite the science!!:)

Thank you

ML

Yes I totally agree that there is nothing worst than encountering a filthy toilet on your travels. It is quite off-putting to go to a place that is not clean, stinks and has had hoards of people trample through it.

As I said earlier the best bet is the more up market places and also loyalty to a particular airline and joining their lounge club.

Australia is generally a good place but there still are filthy public toilet blocks that are not worth walking into. I can recall back in 2003 there was one public rest stop close to Launceston, Tasmania where I looked at the floor, it stank to high heaven and I could not enter. I literally had to find some bushes and stand up behind a tree to go.

Yes I totally agree that there is nothing worst than encountering a filthy toilet on your travels. It is quite off-putting to go to a place that is not clean, stinks and has had hoards of people trample through it.

As I said earlier the best bet is the more up market places and also loyalty to a particular airline and joining their lounge club.

Australia is generally a good place but there still are filthy public toilet blocks that are not worth walking into. I can recall back in 2003 there was one public rest stop close to Launceston, Tasmania where I looked at the floor, it stank to high heaven and I could not enter. I literally had to find some bushes and stand up behind a tree to go.

This is why it's better to be a guy!! I completely understand the variation and just wanted to know what we might expect. Sounds the same as being in NYC or Honolulu (ever been to the public toilets at Waikiki???) so this is great info. Public rest stops in the USA vary wildly, but at least they are all western toilets, with seats (but maybe smelly and no paper)!!

thanks

ML

The worst situation I have found is when you are on a cruise ship and the toilets stop working.

ITS NO BED OF ROSES..:eek:

or you flush the toilet in your cabin and the water does not stop and starts flooding your stateroom....

its amazing how fast people can move to get things up off the floor..:D

and to watch the stewards that seem to come suddenly from nowhere

with armfuls of towels.:D

There are some place that don't have a five star hotel... what do you do then pitch a tent ?

ML

As the others have said, public toilets in Aust & NZ are what you would expect at home in style and cleanliness. I have on occasions used toilets on the islands that cruiseships go to. The toilets are western style, but probably with a concrete floor and in some cases, rather old. Cleanliness I would categorize as OK but not great - certainly not at all like toilets in Russia, Ukraine or Asian public toilets.

It sounds like a fair question to me! Not many people take all room photos, but many blogs these days do feature more of the intricate details.

As for the 5 star situation, it is just a different take on my feeling on not going camping. I can't see why you would spend money to stay somewhere that isn't as comfy as your own house. I have a very comfy house, and a medical issue, and toilets are important to me too.

We have found many small councils in the country region we live in (Southern NSW) are doing a lot to improve the toilet facilities, as it is important to tourism. :)

ML

The average aussie toilet is fine, you won't have a problem with it.

Mind you, a few years back, we took 2 young American girls to see the penguin parade at Phillip Island. It is a popular tourist spot. The girls used the loo and one came out and commented on how unusual they were. Mine had been perfectly normal but apparently hers had been Asian style. I would say management had put in a few Asian toilets to cater for the tourists but they should have had signs on the doors to warn people!!

There is a myth that the water in the toilet bowl flushes a different way in the northern hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere......... In Hawaii I watched the water flush away & could not see any difference....

The toilets in Australia & nz are of world standard. Public toilets are yuck (visit mcdonalds if you need to go). Unlike Europe you don't need to pay to pee in Australia.

Just back from the Celebrity Solstice Aukland to Sydney; we also spent two days in Hong Kong. Without exception, all of the toilets encountered were cleaner and the bathrooms as a whole -- even in food courts, airports, etc. -- were more modern and well-kept than those in my home-town and birthplace, NYC.

There are some place that don't have a five star hotel... what do you do then pitch a tent ?

Good point, like down here in Batemans Bay, 6 motels all built in the 1960's/70's, top rating probably 3 star, so KarateMan would be stuffed. But no worries the toilets are ok.

Yes there are some shocking loos around the world, some of the worse I have seen are the ones on the motorways in Europe, when one is on a coach tour and you stop at a servo (gas station to the Americans) with 20 other coaches.

The worst situation I have found is when you are on a cruise ship and the toilets stop working.

ITS NO BED OF ROSES..:eek:

or you flush the toilet in your cabin and the water does not stop and starts flooding your stateroom....

its amazing how fast people can move to get things up off the floor..:D

and to watch the stewards that seem to come suddenly from nowhere

with armfuls of towels.:D

LOL--creates quite a picture in the mind!!

The worst toilet have have visited outside Australia was at the White House Visitors Centre in Washington DC.

I have no problem believing that. Public toilets in the US can be quite horrendous. But, as noted by a previous poster, we can always find a McDonalds :D