Elegant-Night Gown; Foolish?

Lerin

One of my favorite things about cruising is being able to dress to the 9s on formal nights.

I have several gowns that I wear only on cruises and my work Christmas party.

However with Carnival going more casual and having elegant nights I'm not too sure about what to wear? I keep reading posts about people showing up in black jeans, shorts, tank tops and polo shirts.

As much as I want to wear a gown, I'm starting to think I'm going to look rather foolish next to someone in black jeans and a polo.

Any thoughts? Does anyone here dress up anymore or have you seen people recently dressed up? The photos below from Google are similar to mine to give you an idea of what I like to wear. Not the exact ones since I've had them for awhile. Am I going to look silly?

Thanks for any insight.

Blue_Dress_Ball_Gown_by_LilyStox.jpg.47f926194d7ae9f2a2b00b9b80005ee6.jpg

dresssale211741.jpg.6f9c9603c33869fa508f65b94c95c000.jpg

long-dress-hotina-long-dresses-fashion-design-0svgkvs2.jpg.4ecb9fb0e77bfcbdf694bbadaec792cd.jpg

I don't recall seeing many dressed truly formal in gowns but I've seem many very nice classy cocktail dresses and suits. I've also seen some more casual dress as well. Wear what you want. It's your cruise :) Have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm in my mid twenties and on formal night I will wear a suit with a vest top. I don't wear a jacket though. I found on my recent Fascination cruise I felt under dressed on regular nights. I wore jeans and a nice shirt and felt out of place. So I will be stepping it up to nice polos on casual nights.

In my opinion WHO CARES what others are wearing, dress to the nines and be proud to have people stare with big eyes about how nice you look. If we can make the people who are under dressed feel out of place about how they look maybe they will look better next time. Worked that way for me at least.

The last few cruises we have done, there were very few ladies in gowns like you posted. I saw maybe 2 or 3; definitely less than 5. If you want to wear one, I say wear it. I guarantee you will be noticed. A few years back, my DH and twin sons wore tuxes on the formal/elegant nights. Our teenaged sons loved the attention.

Some people do indeed treat Formal night as any other night but not us. We dress up every time ImageUploadedByForums1388624876.727551.jpg.72aad721606ea20a5cd1b769f3a525f5.jpgand five years back my wife wore a beautiful dress and myself and my two teen boys wore tuxedos. Have the big picture hanging on our wall in a big frame, just beautiful. Only a few in Tuxedos and everyone was commenting, just the way we loved it. Now a days though I just do the suit but my wife looks better each formal.

Edited by kthylyn

Even though my family and I are going for 2nd cruise, I have to say that one of the many reasons we like cruises because it's more "elegant" than all inclusive.

My husband, our children and I like to dress up. We don't care what other wear (it's their choices.) However, I really enjoy seeing the people dress-up on the Elegant Nights.

We go all out the first formal night. DH in suit and tie, me in floor length gown. We get pictures taken and we enjoy being with each other dressed in our finest. What other people wear is not our concern. Second night we still dress up, but he usually looses the jacket part of his suit, and I will opt for dress slacks and fancy top, or a shorter, less formal dress. I do know that on every cruise we still see men wearing a tux and women wearing full formal gowns. Do what makes you comfortable and special. :)

I like dressing up. On casual nights, I wear nice dresses or cocktail dresses. On elegant nights, I wear gowns or cocktail dresses. Mine are not that full because I do have to fly. However, I don't consider being overdressed a bad thing.

I have been going on cruises since I was 6 years old and am 30 now. The only way of cruising I know is to dress to the nines on formal nights. I absolutely love wearing my gowns on formal nights and walking through the ship and having everyone look at me. I have always been complimented on how beautiful I look. I will be taking my gowns for my cruise in May and will wear them with pride. I say do whatever makes you happy. People will recognize you and most likely they will feel out of place! :)

If that is what makes you happy then by all means wear them. I normally will wear a dressy pantsuit or very nice dress on formal nights. I will dress more casually on the other nights and may even wear jeans this time, especially on that first night. Since you really like to dress you should look at Celebrity. There were a lot of people dressed in gowns on our Med cruise even with most people flying.

I was on Carnival Liberty a few weeks ago, I definitely see quite number of ladies wearing gowns similar to your pictures. I dressed up for those nights too, even went to the salon for an updo. Go for it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using Tapatalk 2

We always dress up too. It makes us feel special because other than Christmas work parties, we never get a chance to do it anymore. Even our kids (8&9) will be fancy on elegant nights and even dressed up on regular nights. Go for it!

My fiance and I are both in the Marine Corps so I rarely get to "dress up" outside of being in my uniform. So we are both dressing up in formal attire. I am wearing a ball gown type dress and he will either be in his blues or tuxedo. Either way it is our night to shine and we are going all out baby!;)

I had to smile at the intro to your post... made me think of the ever dangerous question "Do these pants make my a$$ look big"

Lots of folks have lots of opinions about attire, both on land and an aboard.

Wear what makes you happy.

Why should you feel any more 'foolish' for dressing up than the person dressing down does?

And for the record? I am pretty much over dressed no matter where I go.

And I never feel foolish ; -)

Edited by sarafinadh

Wear the dress you want to wear because you feel beautiful in it, not because other cruisers may not be as dressed up. I'd rather be over dressed than under dressed any day. Every cruise I bring a long gown for formal night and cocktail dresses for casual dinners- you won't see me in shorts at dinner and I feel good.

Since you really like to dress you should look at Celebrity. There were a lot of people dressed in gowns on our Med cruise even with most people flying.

LOL, the dress I'm planning to wear the first elegant night was bought for my last Celebrity cruise. :) The plan was to wear it on all cruises for the next year or so. However our next cruise is Carnival which seems to have a vocal group of anti-elegant night cruisers.

Thanks for everyone's replies and the photos supplied. You're right: I have the dresses, paid good money for them, and like how I look and feel in them. No reason to let them sit in a garment bag in the closet!

If I'm the only one in a long gown, so be it.

LOL, the dress I'm planning to wear the first elegant night was bought for my last Celebrity cruise. :) The plan was to wear it on all cruises for the next year or so. However our next cruise is Carnival which seems to have a vocal group of anti-elegant night cruisers.

Thanks for everyone's replies and the photos supplied. You're right: I have the dresses, paid good money for them, and like how I look and feel in them. No reason to let them sit in a garment bag in the closet!

If I'm the only one in a long gown, so be it.

There are going to be some people who hate dressing up and dress ust nice enough to get by. Then, there are going to be some who dress to the nines. And a lot of people inbetween. I don't ever care if I'm the only one wearing gown, but I never have been. Don't worry about the anti-dress up people :)