quick question - concierge class bathroom

coordinator23

On the Millennium do the concierge class bathrooms have a tub or a shower? Need to know because my 88 year old parents would have difficulty with a tub. Will book a balcony for them if this is the case (although the concierge class does look much nicer for their 65th Ann.) I guess another question. Do the balconies open on to one another if we get an adjoining cabin? Loved this feature on Diamond Princess.

On the Millennium do the concierge class bathrooms have a tub or a shower? Need to know because my 88 year old parents would have difficulty with a tub. Will book a balcony for them if this is the case (although the concierge class does look much nicer for their 65th Ann.) I guess another question. Do the balconies open on to one another if we get an adjoining cabin? Loved this feature on Diamond Princess.

Concierge class bathrooms on Millennium have showers and shower curtains. No tubs. Do your parents qualify for a handicapped room? Those are larger rooms. CC rooms on this ship are 191 sq. ft. Regular veranda rooms are smaller at 172 sq. ft. Balconies are the same size.

Yes, adjoining balcony partitions can be opened to make a larger space.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for getting back to me. This will be the first X cruise for us. We are looking forward to it. I have heard that there is an equivalent to the Diamond lounge on this ship, but if we are concierge class will that make a difference. Or is concierge service different on X?

I would think it would be more difficult for someone unsteady on their feet to be in a swaying shower.

It's difficult to get into and out of the tub. In either a shower or tub you would be standing on a wet floor with swaying if the seas were rough. My parents shower when the seas are smooth or when in port (usually in port).

I would think it would be more difficult for someone unsteady on their feet to be in a swaying shower.

The problem with some of the bathtubs on cruise ships, though I remember it more on RCI than on Celebrity, is that the tubs have very high sides (base is raised off the floor) and getting in and out can be quite difficult.

Yes, the CC rooms are noticeably larger on M Class, but there is no 'concierge' service other than what is available to everyone else on the ship--a frequent misconception. Be sure to look at the list of CC benefits with a skeptic's eye--most of them are either illusory or of no great use. Things like priority seating in dining room, priority embarkation, the dreaded afternoon hors d'oeuvres. . .discussed at length here and many people have not found them to be worth much--the biggest benefit is the larger room IMO.

There is also not a "Diamond Lounge" per se; if you qualify for Elite status on Celebrity you will most likely get three drink coupons per night to use in various bars. Sometimes there is a special lounge designated with hors d'oeuvres but that seems to vary widely. If your parents do not qualify on their own, they will not receive the coupons.

The showers have grab bars.

On a swaying ship, it is easier for someone who is unsteady to stand in a shower holding on to a grab bar than it is to climb into a high tub and try to maintain your balance while you crouch to sit down in it.

Then the hardest part comes at the end, when you need to pull your body back up from a low seated position and climb out of the bathtub.

As someone who temporarily lost the use of my right leg in an accident and needed to use crutches and a wheelchair for a while, I found taking a shower standing on one leg to be much easier than climbing in and out of a bathtub.

But the showers in the accessible cabins have fold-down seats fastened to the wall. Anyone who does not wish to stand can be seated at chair height to shower, instead of sitting down inside a bathtub.

Those shower floors typically have some kind of non-slip surface that is not slippery when wet.

Coordinator23, if your parents have any mobility problems, or even if they tire easily, you may want to consider getting a motorized scooter, or a wheelchair, or even a rolling walker for them to use on the ship. It could help to make their anniversary cruise easier and more enjoyable for them, and they can take turns using it.

Sometimes elderly people on cruise ships will skip going to shows just because it is too much of an effort for them to walk all the way to the theater and back.

Congratulations to your parents on their 65th anniversary and best wishes to them for a wonderful cruise.

Edited by fleckle

Do check on the acessible room, I have needed one for last cruise and probably all future ones. They are lovely and large, bathroom especially wonderful, better than I have at home.

Wheelchairs are available if you ask early. The room description will tell you all the benefits. If not needed then leave it but don't be afraid if you do, you are treated very well, as expected.

It's a shower.

Contrary to what some others have said here, the balconies DO NOT OPEN on Millennium class. The balconies do open on Solstice class, but they do not open on Millennium class.

Adjoining balconies partitions cannot be opened on the M-Class.

There are a few exceptions, but not with concierge class cabins.

S-Class - Yes. They can be opened.

My parents are Diamond RCI also, so they will qualify for the three free drinks, if that's how it's handled. Much better way to do it. My brothers and their wives will not qualify, but this way we can all meet before dinner for a glass of wine.

I wish I could get a scooter for my father. He currently uses a cane, and he should have been using a rolling scooter for the past few years. He's not happy when we get him a wheel chair in the airport, but walking a block is difficult for him (but he will not admit it.). We are booking mid-ship to try to make it easier for him. This may very well be my parents last cruise and they want to share it with all of us. We went to Alaska for their 60th and had a ball. They liked the way the balconies opened onto each other and we could scoot up and down visiting. I think they will find things on the Millennium that they like also. (they also liked the way the MDR was open on embarkation day, so they didn't have to mess around with a buffet. Trying go move around with a cane at a buffet, along with the rest of your shipmates, is difficult.

On embarkation day, if they don't want to mess with the buffet I recommend going to Bistro on 5. There is a small upcharge ($5 last I cruised) and they can sit and be served. I also recommend not boarding too early as well - since you can't get into your cabins until around 1:00-1:30, why fight the crowds rushing to get every last minute of cruising in.

I feel your pain about the wheelchair dilemma. Our next cruise is with our similarly mobility impaired aunt who just refuses to use a wheelchair or scooter (except for airport transporting, and boarding and disembarking). She misses out on so much as it is too far for her to walk from one end of the ship to the other. (going onshore with her has it's own challenges as well). But it might be her last cruise as well so our wish is to make it a memorable one for her regardless. She is caving in and bringing her walker thank goodness.:)

Do the balconies open on to one another if we get an adjoining cabin? Loved this feature on Diamond Princess.

On either the port or starboard side of the ship, on deck 6, you could book a concierge cabin that has a balcony with a door that opens to the balcony of the adjoining sky suite --

IF both the cc and sky suite are available for your cruise,

and

IF you are willing to pay the upcharge for the sky suite.

But if you book your parents any of the accessible cabins, the balcony will be big enough to hold a couple of extra chairs so that a couple of you could sit out there with them.

Yet another suggestion:

- Even better, rent a scooter and book them into one of the C1 accessible cabins back on the stern of the ship.

That is what I would do in your situation.

Those accessible cabins in the center of the stern have enormous balconies and all of you, including your brothers and their wives, would be able to spend lots of time together out there.

The drawback is that it is a long distance to get to the front of the ship from there, but with the motorized scooter it would not be a problem.

Or at least get a wheelchair and you can all take turns pushing it.

But the scooter would give your father a feeling of independence, being able to get around wherever he wanted to go on his own without needing to depend on others.