Visa for China

Am cruising on Aurora in February and have emailed P&O regarding my query ... deafened by their silence!!

Can anyone tell me whether I need to arrange my own visa for China or do P&O usually arrange a group visa for cruisers on arrival? Am visiting Shanghair and Xiamen.

Thanks folks,

Dennis

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I did a quick search of Aurora's roll call for this cruise and it sounds like you will need to get your own visa for China. See this post.

Those of us going to China on Cunard's QE World Voyage all had to get our own visas for China so I expect it is the same on P&O.

You might want to read the whole roll call for this cruise and you might find more about the visas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1711078

Have a great cruise!

We are travelling to Shanghai in March on QM2 and a visa is required. I'm organising mine now as I don't have a consulate in my state. As you are entering China twice you'll need a multi entry visa.

Cunard suggests we use visacentral.com. You register online then they send you the paperwork to complete by email. Then you send off the application with a photo and passport. I'd get into it tomorrow and check it out.

If you stay within China's territorial waters re the two ports you visit, you'll only need a single visa. Do you go to another port between Shanghai and Xiamen? Last year we visited 3 ports in China and were advised to get a single by the cruise company. There's a considerable price difference.

If you stay within China's territorial waters re the two ports you visit, you'll only need a single visa. Do you go to another port between Shanghai and Xiamen? Last year we visited 3 ports in China and were advised to get a single by the cruise company. There's a considerable price difference.

That is true, my advice is to call the embassey and ask them (advise of your itinerary), they will let you know.:D

Im waiting for the China Visa centre in Sydney to open right now - Im picking up my passport and visa for my Mariner cruise. Same ports as you - they wouldnt let me apply for a multiple entry one, only double or single entry (depending on the ship staying in Chinese waters). That seemed a risky gamble so I got the double entry one.

Edited by timtam2

Thanks for all the useful advice, guys. I don't think I'll risk a single-entry visa just in case Aurora doesn't stay within territorial waters between Shanghai and Xiamen :cool:

Our visa application will be in the post this morning.

Thanks for all the useful advice, guys. I don't think I'll risk a single-entry visa just in case Aurora doesn't stay within territorial waters between Shanghai and Xiamen :cool:

Our visa application will be in the post this morning.

Actually that has happened . Not to Aurora but I think it was a Cruise Critic cruise to China that was only going to one port so they only got single entry visas. I forget the exact details but a typhoon hit and the ship had to alter its schedule and return to China but could not do so and had to ride out the storm at sea.

Actually that has happened . Not to Aurora but I think it was a Cruise Critic cruise to China that was only going to one port so they only got single entry visas. I forget the exact details but a typhoon hit and the ship had to alter its schedule and return to China but could not do so and had to ride out the storm at sea.

There isn't much point in getting a double entry or multiple entry visa just in case this happens, because most of the others on the ship (probably including crew) would only have a single entry visa. :)

• 6 months later...
That is true, my advice is to call the embassey and ask them (advise of your itinerary), they will let you know.:D

I have sent many emails to the Chinese visa centre Re the question about single or multiple entry. They just reply to say that I should check with my travel agent.

This is the last reply, whatever it means.

"The port immigration rules are beyond the Consulate's scope because they are all under immigration control's management.

The Consulate only process your application and make a decision based on your intention of getting a visa (application form) and your documentations provided.

Normally the cruise company will have agreements with the border so they should be able to give advise for visa requirement at the port.

The the cuise wouldn't help, please contact the port directly for their requirement and rules for border inspection.

Please refer to the following page for the contact details of Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal"

I have a problem. I have been to China many times and have even had multiple entry 12 months in the past. They no longer issue multiple entry tourist visas and you can only get double entry. To do this you need copies of your tickets in and out and hotel bookings or an invitation letter from a local. All this is fine BUT

I plan to travel to China prior to my Quantum Barcelona - Shanghai cruise next year. I will then fly Beijing-Barcelona. 1 entry used.

The ship visits Xiamen and Shanghai where we will disembark and I will spend more time in China.

If the last two stops only need the one entry I will be fine as it will be the second of my double entry. If it is classed as two I will need a multiple entry (which I cannot obtain any more).

It is quite frustrating not being able to get an answer to a simple question from the visa centre.

Hi Denis

We went on the Aurora a few years ago and visited the same ports needed a multiple entry. Also went on another ship and one port in China needed a single entry BUT we got a multiple entry to make us feel better as we boarded in Hong Kong and thought if we decided to go across the border there would be handy. Also an insurance policy in case visa requirements change

Good luck with trying to get detailed info. from Chinese Embassy here or anywhere else :).

We have been to China a number of times, to be diplomatic I will just say check Chinese visa requirements right up to the last weeks before you go.

Regards

Norm

That is correct Woodyren , I should have said double visa.

Yep a real process to go thru to get a Chinese visa.

We have to post ours from SA. Last time the embassy phoned us and asked if we also received back some one else's Passports.

Having said all that it is only a matter of filling out the paper work and sending / attaching copies of relevant travel info.