Sydney Airport Shuttles

To you locals...........

We have decided to travel into the city using a shuttle.

Which are considered to be the better and more reliable company, Airport Connect or Air Bus Airport Shuttle, or is there another recommended company please?

Do they wait until they are full meaning a long wait perhaps or do they just 'go'?

We are arriving at the Domestic Terminal on Virgin Australia from Cairns mid afternoon on a Friday!!

Hi Colin,

We have used KST Airporter a number of times from Domestic terminal to Circular Quay. Each time we simply meet the driver and off you go - never waited more than 10 minutes for other passengers however to be fair we are usually a large family group of 10+ so usually fill a bus just ourselves.

We have purchased their return trip online and never had a problem.

good luck.

We used Kingsford Smith Transport (pre-booked) but were not happy with the service. We waited near the baggage carousel as requested and telephoned the KST office. About an hour after the nominated time a young man approached and asked us to go outside to where the bus would pick us up. We waited there for around 45 minutes before the bus finally turned up. By this time we were getting edgy about the time. We then did the rounds of hotels dropping people off leaving us until last.

We had pre-booked and paid for the return trip and had to wait more than two hours standing in the carpark. We did phone the KST office a few times during that two hours and the answer always was that the bus wouldn't be long. :(

Never again. We now get a taxi.:) It cost us $55 to White Bay.

I hope you have a better experience if you decide to go by shuttle. Just check that they go to White Bay. Recently I enquired at a desk near the baggage carousel and the man said they only go to the hotels in the city.

To you locals...........

We have decided to travel into the city using a shuttle.

Which are considered to be the better and more reliable company, Airport Connect or Air Bus Airport Shuttle, or is there another recommended company please?

Do they wait until they are full meaning a long wait perhaps or do they just 'go'?

We are arriving at the Domestic Terminal on Virgin Australia from Cairns mid afternoon on a Friday!!

Sorry...I simply can't understand why you would want to use the airport shuttle... perhaps you are like the pommie cricketers and want more torture from the Aussies :D

I live in Brisbane, but I have traveled to Sydney often, and yes, on some rare occasions, used the shuttle. I have never found it a pleasant experience ...always delays, grumpy drivers and they seem to drop off at every hotel in town. If you are staying near the Quay or Darling Harbour, expect to be one of the last to be dropped off. BTW... they use a trailer to carry your precious luggage...and I have witnessed incidents where these trailers have lost some of their load :(

You don't say how many is in your group, but Shuttles charge for their "service" on a per head basis, wheras cabs etc charge per car. A single person, with minimal luggage and plenty of time might find the shuttle ok, but 2 pax or more should in my view use an alternative.

My honest suggestion is to pre book a hire car. I now use http://www.towncars.com Cost from airport to City is fixed at less than $50 which is comparable to a cab. Ok, twice as much as it would be for two people in a shuttle, but you get personalised, on time service, with a driver that actually speaks the language and you minimise the risk of an unpleasant introduction to one of the world's great cities.

cheers

To be perfectly frank none of the shuttle companies operating out of Sydney Airport are recommended. They appear regularly on Trip Advisor Sydney forums with a raft of complaints which run about 19 out of 20 in the negative. A taxi will cost around $A60 from the airport to Circular Quay and a train from the airport to Circular Quay is around $15 each.

Sorry...I simply can't understand why you would want to use the airport shuttle... perhaps you are like the pommie cricketers and want more torture from the Aussies :D

I live in Brisbane, but I have traveled to Sydney often, and yes, on some rare occasions, used the shuttle. I have never found it a pleasant experience ...always delays, grumpy drivers and they seem to drop off at every hotel in town. If you are staying near the Quay or Darling Harbour, expect to be one of the last to be dropped off. BTW... they use a trailer to carry your precious luggage...and I have witnessed incidents where these trailers have lost some of their load :(

You don't say how many is in your group, but Shuttles charge for their "service" on a per head basis, wheras cabs etc charge per car. A single person, with minimal luggage and plenty of time might find the shuttle ok, but 2 pax or more should in my view use an alternative.

My honest suggestion is to pre book a hire car. I now use http://www.towncars.com Cost from airport to City is fixed at less than $50 which is comparable to a cab. Ok, twice as much as it would be for two people in a shuttle, but you get personalised, on time service, with a driver that actually speaks the language and you minimise the risk of an unpleasant introduction to one of the world's great cities.

cheers

I could not agree more, and second the 'towncars' option. Some of the most polite, courteous helpful and knowledgeable drivers around.

The only way to arrive in the best city on the planet!

Treat yourselves "Cosmic Rays", you won't regret it.

:cool:

This topic comes up very frequently and the general concencus is not to use any of the airport based shuttles and that hire cars such as town cars provide a far superior service at very little extra cost and can accommodate any amount of people.

If the train takes you close to your destination then this is also a good option particularly if you are travelling light and just the two of you.

Hi,

We have recently done cruises from Sydney and used KST and they were shocking both times. Rude drivers and left waiting at the pier for about one and half hours and made numerous phone calls. Never again, it will be a taxi or train in the future.

Sue

Hi,

We have recently done cruises from Sydney and used KST and they were shocking both times. Rude drivers and left waiting at the pier for about one and half hours and made numerous phone calls. Never again, it will be a taxi or train in the future.

Sue

You and many others have received poor service by that company and it seems they haven't picked up their act recently.

Yes, they were horrible and we always seemed almost last to be dropped off after all the hotel runs. One passenger almost got into a physical fight with the driver as I think he was was just so unbelievably rude to this passenger. Not good !

Thanks for all your advice, and true 'Flipper133', we've had enough torture for a while now from the Aussies - our time will come again though, be assured of that just as it has returned for your boys!!!

However, I have booked a Towncar and it will cost $49 from the airport to our Hotel in the CBD. Very prompt and polite............

Thanks for all your advice, However, I have booked a Towncar and it will cost $49 from the airport to our Hotel in the CBD. Very prompt and polite............

Great. That sounds even better than a taxi. :)

One little trick we have learned is to ask the taxi driver not to take any of the tunnels unless you are running late to catch a plane. The tunnels save the driver time but don't save distance and that is what the passenger is paying for. The cost of the tunnels is added to the fare and I think we have paid an extra $8. This may apply with Town Cars as well.

Great. That sounds even better than a taxi. :)

One little trick we have learned is to ask the taxi driver not to take any of the tunnels unless you are running late to catch a plane. The tunnels save the driver time but don't save distance and that is what the passenger is paying for. The cost of the tunnels is added to the fare and I think we have paid an extra $8. This may apply with Town Cars as well.

Nope...the charge by Towncars includes all tolls. No extras at all - unless you want to tip (which is probably why the charge is $49):p

I have a car booked for next month. Previously we have been picked up at the Qantas terminal, but this time we are arriving by Virgin. I need to find out exactly where they pick up....at Qantas there is a designated spot just ahead of the taxi rank. I presume something similar for the Virgin terminal. (Does anyone know ???)

In any event, the driver will let us know. They will ring you on your mobile number once the plane has landed and sort out things with you.

Colin.... make sure you have an Aust. Mobile number to give them - probably you can pick up a prepaid one in Cairns before you arrive in Sydney.

cheers

Nope...the charge by Towncars includes all tolls. No extras at all - unless you want to tip (which is probably why the charge is $49):p

I have a car booked for next month. Previously we have been picked up at the Qantas terminal, but this time we are arriving by Virgin. I need to find out exactly where they pick up....at Qantas there is a designated spot just ahead of the taxi rank. I presume something similar for the Virgin terminal. (Does anyone know ???)

In any event, the driver will let us know. They will ring you on your mobile number once the plane has landed and sort out things with you.

Colin.... make sure you have an Aust. Mobile number to give them - probably you can pick up a prepaid one in Cairns before you arrive in Sydney.

cheers

After your recommendation I meant to book a Town Car for our last Sydney cruise, but didn't do it, so we took a taxi. He took a wrong turn after the Anzac Bridge on the way to White Bay, so it cost $65. The driver did say to just give him $60, but we gave him $65 anyway.

In a few months we will be leaving from Sydney, so I must remember to book a car. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Sorry...should have mentioned that in common with normal practice nowadays there is a surcharge of 5.5% for using a credit card. A $50 note seems the way to go for me.

There is also a wait charge if there is more than 10 minutes over booked time.... although

1. They watch the aircraft arrival times and adjust accordingly and

2. the driver contacts you shortly after arrival. They know the drill!

cheers

cheers

Tipping is not an accepted practice in NZ or Australia unlike the USA but taxi drivers aren't stupid, they will try and suck in "Gullible Yanks" I would ensure I had a $50 note and not expect any change. As you have been quoted a fixed price you shouldn't be charged any waiting time. $49 is a pretty sharp price and one could expect to pay as much as $10 - $15 more if running on the meter in heavy traffic

Which town car would you recommend? We are a group of 6! thanks:p

http://www.towncars.com/

Towncars use the G6E Falcon, of which you would need 2 to be comfortable for 6 plus travel luggage.

Or if you all wanted to go together the Mercedes Benz Vito Vans.

Also, all of their vehicles have access to baby seats if needed.

Also be aware that booking the van attracts a 50% surcharge; this is equivalent to the maxi taxi rates charged by the taxi industry.

Your choice.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how much it is with one of the hire car companies to get from the airport to the overseas passenger terminal?

I have a confirmed quote from Towncars of $49 to travel from Sydney domestic airport to OTC next month. That is for one car for 3 people and includes all tolls and GST. If you need a specific quote, just go to their website and you can get an online quote direct.

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

I have a confirmed quote from Towncars of $49 to travel from Sydney domestic airport to OTC next month. That is for one car for 3 people and includes all tolls and GST. If you need a specific quote, just go to their website and you can get an online quote direct.

cheers

........just as we did following your suggestion..see#12 above. Cheers!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would not recommend the shuttle bus at all especially if you have limited time. You will be at the shuttle dropping watching other passengers dropped off to their hotels.....Id rather catch a train to Circular Quay than get shuttle- 15 minutes you're in circular Quay. But taxi is better, gotta arrived at the terminal happy :-):-):-)