Gem secrets & hints???

Jetsgrrl

Going for my big 5-0 with a friend who's never been on any cruise. My only cruise was on The Dawn. Got to be honest, I was a tad disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe I just missed some stuff. Definitely looking forward to my second cruise on The Gem in February. Anyone care to share their advice??

This is really a great forum! Thanks to all of you.

Peace :-)

Going for my big 5-0 with a friend who's never been on any cruise. My only cruise was on The Dawn. Got to be honest, I was a tad disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high or maybe I just missed some stuff. Definitely looking forward to my second cruise on The Gem in February. Anyone care to share their advice??

This is really a great forum! Thanks to all of you.

Peace :-)

Well we went in March on the Gem and it was the best vacation any of us have ever been on. To the shows, the ports, the rooms, the crew, everything was just absolutely perfect! You will have a great time!

Love the Gem; have sailed her 3x.

Advice: Go the the Pacific dining room on first day after boarding for lunch rather than the mobs topside. And dine in the Pacific (the prettier room) the first night as it is the only nite serving the lobster/steak combo.

Deck 11 veiwing room is cool.. It shows the Bridge.... All so if you can do the ships tour thing.. it cost.. I don't remember how much but it was great... But the best thing I can say sailing on Jan 20th is the spa pass... I hear it was 189(HOLIDAY) 139 for a reg (NO HOLIDAY) it's the GREATEST THING I have ever done on a cruise.. Check it out...:)

I don't know if he is still on the Gem but Dan Dan the assistant cruise director was hilarious. He made every activity/show so much fun.

The Gem was our first cruise and we enjoyed everything we did on the ship. I cannot think of one reason why I would not go back!

No, he's on the BREAKAWAY....... He was that good""" sunny days" They they have made the best of new guy's to make the big SHIPS look BETTER!!!!!But the NEW GUYS are doing a better JOB!!!!!!! DAN>>> DAN is GREAT!!!!!!!!

:D

I'm contemplating purchasing the unlimited alcohol package. What's the cost of top shelf liquer ( Jack Daniels, B&B etc.)? I've found prices of wine are around $10 but cannot locate the other prices. Just trying to decide if it makes sense to get the package or just go ala carte. We aren't huge drinkers but I know it adds up quickly! Anyone regret getting, or NOT getting this package?

The Great Outdoors puts out fresh baked cookies every evening about 8 pm. I could often smell them from my aft balcony. That is how I found them!

Go to the martini tastings - they were fun and a great deal. I loved the GEM when I was on it in July so much that I rebooked again for the upcoming summer. Can't wat! I am sure you will have a great time.

I have a friend who is currently on The Gem as an entertainer. His name is Michael Blackwell. He plays piano without adding anything to the piano. He is just his skills as a piano player and sometimes his voice. I do not know his vacation schedule, but if he is on board, he is either in the Atrium or Star Bar on Deck 13 across from Cagney's. Very very nice man. Enjoy The Gem.

I'm contemplating purchasing the unlimited alcohol package. What's the cost of top shelf liquer ( Jack Daniels, B&B etc.)? I've found prices of wine are around $10 but cannot locate the other prices. Just trying to decide if it makes sense to get the package or just go ala carte. We aren't huge drinkers but I know it adds up quickly! Anyone regret getting, or NOT getting this package?

If you aren't huge drinkers don't get it. We are pretty big partiers but based on what we drink, most of which isn't included in the packages anyway, we still get away cheaper ala carte.

For example, I love wine. Some of what I like is offered by the glass but assuming 6 glasses in a bottle, I save $5 over all by buying the bottle; our favorite bartender will hold it for me. Sometimes I carry it to the next venue but it does help to keep the costs well under what we'd pay for the package.

Last cruise we met a young couple the 1st night that bought the package. We'd see them throughout the cruise & they often jokingly wondered whether they would "get their money's worth" . . they were keeping track based on what the drinks would have cost. We saw them the last night & the proclaimed victory -- estimated bar bill equaled what they paid for the package. They both joked about needing re-hab but said they would never buy the package again because they drank more than they would have otherwise.

Trisha THANK YOU!!

That's exactly what I was looking for! I spent last night trying to estimate our drinking habits while taking into account what's probably not included in the package and how that would add up.

I'm still on the fence, but leaning towards passing on it.

I'm definitely in "paralysis by analysis" mode. :confused:

Go to the main dining room for lunch when boarding, and then back at night for lobster night (order doubles, triples)

Breakfast at great outdoors --very nice anytime also.

Join your roll call and go to meet and greet to meet the officers and fellow cruisers

Seasickness pills at front desk--non drowsy, and we always drink like fishes when we take them, without problems

Follow the fish on the floor---they always swim forward

RELAX, DRINK, & ENJOY NO STRESS ALLOWED

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

Thrisha, 6 glasses of wine out a bottle and you are big partiers? LoL.

Commercially, yes. A standard pour is 7 ounces.

But I never said how many bottles I drank. ;)

Trisha THANK YOU!!

That's exactly what I was looking for! I spent last night trying to estimate our drinking habits while taking into account what's probably not included in the package and how that would add up.

I looked at the cost of the package then thought about our total on-board expenses from the last few cruises & realized that even with the daily tips added in, the total was still less than the cost of the package. I should add I usually bring a bottle or two of wine on board & pay the corkage.