Aloha/Aft - is it too choppy/motiony?

SdKT

hi,

im curious as Aloha is twd the top decks, in the back(aft), will it be too choppy from the waves? does anyone know? motion sickness?

I personally don't care, but im going with my father/extended family and he's worried :(

Thank you. this will be Sapphire Princess.

It's not. I was on the Aloha deck on Grand Princess years ago and I just booked that deck for my upcoming trip on Sapphire. I really like this deck because you have a door with a window at the end of the hall, which is so convenient. It takes you out to a little pool area. Then you can take a flight of stairs by the pool to the buffet. This is a great location

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We have taken about 10 cruises on Princess and about 7 with other cruiselines.

We have had C753 before and a felt a little motion but nothing that I would not book this cabin again. My brother in law, booked an aft facing cabin and did not like due to the motion. The motion does not bother us. We love this cabin and try to book it when we take a balcony just for the views from the balcony.

Dec 28-Jan 4, we were on the Crown Princess in A747( we were upgrade from obstructed view), last standard cabin on the starboard side. The water was very rough on this cruise. To show how rough the water was, the water in the pools were splashing out of the pools, making waves in the pools. We did feel a lot of motion due to the water conditions during this cruise compared to all of other cruises even the North Sea cruise. One time, in the evening, I had to hold onto the bed and wall to walk to the bathroom. and the cabin attendants tied their carts to the hall railings in the morning. The motion has not stopped me from booking this cabin again for our Alaska cruise in August, it has an angled balcony with a great view.

Edited by phabric

hi,

im curious as Aloha is twd the top decks, in the back(aft), will it be too choppy from the waves? does anyone know? motion sickness?

I personally don't care, but im going with my father/extended family and he's worried :(

Thank you. this will be Sapphire Princess.

I was 6 staterooms from the back on the Diamond recently (Aloha Deck) and I couldn't tell we were at sea. We had a little rough swell at times, but being aft didn't make a difference.

In fact, I found it quite a nice area. Less busy and close to the stairs / elevators.

Think of mid ship at the ships center of gravity as the pivot point on the teeter totter . While the ends of the tetter totter move up and down the pivot point remains fixed. For the most part so does mid ship lower down. As the ship is a ridged fixed structure if the bow goes up 10 feet the stern goes down by the same amount. If the ship rolls 10 feet down to port then starboard goes up 10 feet. The higher up you are on the ship the more you move. Thats why so many people on here recommed midship lower decks for those prone to motion sickness. Take a pen or a ruler and balance it on your index finger. Move one end up or down and you will see what I'm talking about.

My wife and I only cruise in true aft facing cabins and yes we have felt movement in the past in rough waters. We however have no issues with motion sickness regardless of how we travel. She actually finds the movement very relaxing.

Bottom line is if you are worried about motion sickness why risk ruining a great family vacation by getting a cabin in a location on the ship most subject to movement should there be bad weather.

There you go. The physics of it all and the personal opinion of a die hard aft cruiser. Enjoy the trip with your family.

Edited by Gunner22aa

Gunner, what you say about the fulcrum effect is true for rolling motion, since the beam is much shorther ahn the overall length. As for pitching motion (up and down), the fulcrum is moved more aft, based on the length of the hull being completely supported by water, unlike a teeter totter.

Based on previous cruises, it seems like the pivot point is about 3/4 of the way down the length of the ship. If the bow is rising and falling through about 6 feet, the stern would be only rising and falling about 2 feet. We had the furthest aft inside cabin on the Ruby Princess and, while the front of the ship was riding like a roller coaster, we had no clue there were rough seas until we left the cabin and travelled outside or forward.

Gunner, what you say about the fulcrum effect is true for rolling motion, since the beam is much shorther ahn the overall length. As for pitching motion (up and down), the fulcrum is moved more aft, based on the length of the hull being completely supported by water, unlike a teeter totter.

Based on previous cruises, it seems like the pivot point is about 3/4 of the way down the length of the ship. If the bow is rising and falling through about 6 feet, the stern would be only rising and falling about 2 feet. We had the furthest aft inside cabin on the Ruby Princess and, while the front of the ship was riding like a roller coaster, we had no clue there were rough seas until we left the cabin and travelled outside or forward.

I think you are correct about the actual pivot point being further aft. We had the last cabin aft on the side of Caribe deck (10) on the Star in South America. We had very rough seas (12-18 foot waves) for over 8 hours. Our cabin moved up and down much less than the front of the ship.

There are many variables to ship movement that affect pitch and roll. Stabilizers help will roll, pitch is far more dependent on wind speed and direction, wave height and direction, current speed, and ship's speed and direction. I think it's a misconception that the least movement is mid-ship because the propellers are towards the back and the bow of the ship displaces waves. It's not like a teeter-totter because you have power and propulsion from towards the back of a ship.

The higher the deck, the more the ship is affected by wind as it acts like a sail. I personally think you're better off on a lower deck aft than you would be a high deck mid-ship. On the other hand, further aft, I think you'll be OK.

Will be the COG, center of gravity or point of neutral balance as it is sometimes refered to. It could very well be farther back in the ship if that is where the weight is and yes that would definatly effect the amount of movement experienced at the bow and the stern with the shorter leg seeing less, in this case the stern. I'm an engineer but not a marine architect. As Pam suggests things like the stabilizers will impact on the amount of movement as well, afterall they are called that for a reason. I guess I was just trying to use a practical example that most of use can remember from our childhood.

Edited by Gunner22aa

My wife is very prone to motion sickness & she did okay in an aft potholes cabin on the Crown's Riviera deck which is 1 deck higher than Aloha. We generally book lower deck midship cabins but this was a free upgrade from an inside cabin. Although the biggest issue...sea conditions...can vary daily & if the conditions were rough in that upper deck aft cabin she may have needed her meclizine to feel better.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Dec 28-Jan 4, we were on the Crown Princess in A747( we were upgrade from obstructed view), last standard cabin on the starboard side. The water was very rough on this cruise. To show how rough the water was, the water in the pools were splashing out of the pools, making waves in the pools. We did feel a lot of motion due to the water conditions during this cruise compared to all of other cruises even the North Sea cruise. One time, in the evening, I had to hold onto the bed and wall to walk to the bathroom. and the cabin attendants tied their carts to the hall railings in the morning. The motion has not stopped me from booking this cabin again for our Alaska cruise in August, it has an angled balcony with a great view.

OMG! where did u sail to? :( sounds really bad.

OMG! where did u sail to? :( sounds really bad.

We were on the Princess New Year's cruise (Dec 28-Jan 4/13) on the Crown Princess doing the Southern Caribbean.

My sister was mid ship (near the main elevator) on the Riviera deck and they did not feel as much motion as we did in A747. The motion did not stop us from picking this cabin again. If you take the Panoramic elevator it is a long walk, good exercise no need for the gym, so use the aft elevator.

Think of mid ship at the ships center of gravity as the pivot point on the teeter totter . While the ends of the tetter totter move up and down the pivot point remains fixed. For the most part so does mid ship lower down. As the ship is a ridged fixed structure if the bow goes up 10 feet the stern goes down by the same amount. If the ship rolls 10 feet down to port then starboard goes up 10 feet. The higher up you are on the ship the more you move. Thats why so many people on here recommed midship lower decks for those prone to motion sickness. Take a pen or a ruler and balance it on your index finger. Move one end up or down and you will see what I'm talking about.

No offense, I am FULLY AWARE how the ship works/and the analogy, thus my question. I am NOT prone to sea sickness, which is noted in the OP.

it also depends on the water conditions in that area/that month.

I have 3 cabins starting second to last, if thats what you refer to as TRUE AFT, i believe so.

thanks for the analysis. I am hoping it will not be going 10 ft up and down. :( the concern was my fathers, as he's up there in age.

I guess i can move them if i need to.

My wife is very prone to motion sickness & she did okay in an aft potholes cabin on the Crown's Riviera deck which is 1 deck higher than Aloha. We generally book lower deck midship cabins but this was a free upgrade from an inside cabin. Although the biggest issue...sea conditions...can vary daily & if the conditions were rough in that upper deck aft cabin she may have needed her meclizine to feel better.

thank you.

we are a party of 9 (3 cabins). i know my 4 *knock on wood* have not had issues. ive sailed 7 or so times, maybe 8 , and kids have gone 3 times.

thank you.

we are a party of 9 (3 cabins). i know my 4 *knock on wood* have not had issues. ive sailed 7 or so times, maybe 8 , and kids have gone 3 times.

Hopefully you'll have calm seas & if not my 'mal de mer' prone wife has enjoyed dozens of cruises by using meclizine. It's a much less expensive generic version of Bonine or Dramamine Less Drowsy. It's an antihistamine so it can cause some drowsiness so she takes it at night. Its helped her handle even the rough Tasman Sea with waves over 20' & near hurricane force winds. :eek:

However like all medications including OTC it's a good idea to check with a pharmacist or doctor to determine any potential interactions or affects on health issues.

Edited by Astro Flyer

thank you.

I get carsick on windy roads. I use the patch and don't get seasick. We had very (very) rough weather our first night and day going to Alaska a couple of years ago. People staggering around the ship. I was in a very far forward cabin on deck 12 so I got the full impact of the movement. With the patch I didn't get sick at all.

I get carsick on windy roads. I use the patch and don't get seasick. We had very (very) rough weather our first night and day going to Alaska a couple of years ago. People staggering around the ship. I was in a very far forward cabin on deck 12 so I got the full impact of the movement. With the patch I didn't get sick at all.

thanks, maybe i'll grab those. Does the ship provide free nausea pills, or not anymore?

thanks, maybe i'll grab those. Does the ship provide free nausea pills, or not anymore?
Some lines provide them for free but Princess doesn't. I'm guessing it's a liability/legal issue. They have them for sale in the ship's store. Haven't a clue what or how much since I've never even looked at them.

Some lines provide them for free but Princess doesn't. I'm guessing it's a liability/legal issue. They have them for sale in the ship's store. Haven't a clue what or how much since I've never even looked at them.

I'm jealous of all those who don't have a problem with motion sickness! You have no idea how lucky you are. :-)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk