Single person on Cruise advice

bluegirluk

Unfortunately it appears that I will now be on my Norwegian Fjord cruise on my own.

Any tips for single cruisers please ?

Originally requested table for 2 but no longer require second seat :mad:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jane

Hi Bluegirl,

I think a get together is sometimes arranged for singles. I am not sure if it is something P&O still organise but I have had a quick look at my horizon news sheet from when we went on the Oceana and there is one listed for 10am every morning.

Have you had a look to see if a roll call is up and running for your cruise? If not you could start one.

Have a brilliant cruise:)

Molly

I have just checked to pando website and according to the question and answer page, they do still host a coffee morning for single travellers.

Edited by sagaris

Hi Bluegirl,

I think a get together is sometimes arranged for singles. I am not sure if it is something P&O still organise but I have had a quick look at my horizon news sheet from when we went on the Oceana and there is one listed for 10am every morning.

Have you had a look to see if a roll call is up and running for your cruise? If not you could start one.

Have a brilliant cruise:)

Molly

Thanks Molly, I intend to have a brilliant cruise :). I have started a roll call but so far I am the only cruiser lol .i will pop along to the singles meet and see what's happening.

Have you made your final payments? Else if you tell them only one the single supplement will be added.

We booked for two and are due to pay balance by 25th Jan. I was expecting to pay the full price for two travelling anyway. If they change it to a single with supplement it will be cheaper than two anyway so they will owe me pennies . (I think)

There are hosted coffee/tea meetings every sea day and unhosted ones on port days. They also suggest a table number for solos who want to partake of afternoon tea in the restaurant. On Oceana we had an area reserved in the atrium for the captains do on formal night and on Arcadia we jumped the queue to meet the captain.

A little tip for excursions. Get to the coach early so you get a choice of seats and if you stop for refreshments get in the cafe/restaurant first so you can plonk yourself down at a table and couples have to ask you if they can sit there ;)

I did my first cruise alone on Azura last year and it worked out very well. I requested a table for 8 and got a 10 with all single travellers, most of whom were interesting and easy to get on with at dinner.

There were coffee mornings and reserved tables at afternoon tea on sea days but I didn't bother as I like travelling alone and do it a lot. I tended to ring the wine line before dinner as you wait a long time to get a glass brought to the table in the MDR; what you don't drink from the bottle is reserved for the next night you're in.

Getting a front seat at the theatre was often easier because there would often be a "spare one" somewhere in the front few rows.

It was also easier to find a sunbed on sea days and drag it into a quiet corner to sunbathe and read.

The only minor problem I had was if I wanted a drink on deck. Some of the waiters ignore lone women, and you have to be assertive and beckon them over.

When travelling as a couple we never really bothered with excursions but did our own thing. My question is as a solo traveller would it be better to book a couple of excursions ? I know this is down to personal choice but I would welcome your thoughts. I was thinking more of the walking tours where people may be more likely to talk to each other than sat on a coach.

I will do the Flam railway myself as it is over £20 more expensive to go through P&o than to buy a ticket at the station.

(Very young ,very nearly 50 person :)

Thanks Molly, I intend to have a brilliant cruise :). I have started a roll call but so far I am the only cruiser lol .i will pop along to the singles meet and see what's happening.

Hi Bluegirluk,

I might be looking in the wrong place but I can't find your roll call.

I've found on on the roll call page under Azura 3rd May & rest assured you're not the only one going.

My Husband & I are also on this cruise & Dai is willing to arrange a get together on board if people are interested.

Hope you see you on Azura in a few weeks time (sounds better than a couple of months!).

Joan

Hi Bluegirluk,

I might be looking in the wrong place but I can't find your roll call.

I've found on on the roll call page under Azura 3rd May & rest assured you're not the only one going.

My Husband & I are also on this cruise & Dai is willing to arrange a get together on board if people are interested.

Hope you see you on Azura in a few weeks time (sounds better than a couple of months!).

Joan

It's in the Oceana Roll call boards But I am still the only person in the cruise lol

It's in the Oceana Roll call boards But I am still the only person in the cruise lol

Ah that would explain it; I don't know where I got the idea you were on Azura!!

I'm sure you won't be alone.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

Do they try and sit solo travellers together then on club dining?

Our friend always sits on a table with other solo travellers. You can change your requested table size for club dining on your Cruise Personaliser. We did this recently, also for Oceana.

Our roll call is also very very quiet. There are only two other contributors and I know both of them from other cruises!

Hi. I always cruise on my own and love it. Go to bed when I like and get up when I like. On P&O the solo get togethers are good and usually entertainment staff are also there. Do. Not worry about this cruise site if you are the only person on it, as the UK cruises are not as well posted, unlike RCI which always gets loads. You will have a great time and if you talk to people they will talk to you. ;)