How far would you drive on embarkation day?

Spiralshell

It is certainly doable. But we feel safer and a lot less stressed if we stay close to the port the night before. NOT Cheap to do that but worth the peace of mind. If it is only a very short drive we might consider just hiring a limo to the port on the same day.

We do not live near any port thus we can't drive to any embarkation port.

We have no choice but to fly and put up with those hassles. So we fly at least 2 days before the cruise to the embarkation ports.

Smart.

4 years ago, we almost had a minot catastrophe when my older sis and her hubby from Boston tried to fly in the night prior….weather and mechanical probe took them to Detroit where they spent the night…almost didn't make it in time for the ship to leave! Had they flown in that day, they would've missed it….Next month, they fly in two days prior….

We have to drive four hours to catch a plane and have never missed one so that doesn't worry me at all.

Personally I'd price it out. You can subtract whatever you're paying to park from the cost of one night at a park and cruise, and what it would actually cost you to go down early is probably minimal.

I would be worried about traffic. Can OP leave earlier?

We live 10 miles from our port, so depending on traffic, if there is none, it takes us 15 minutes!

Good luck with everything!

~robin and brian~

Norwegian Breakaway 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

A couple of weeks ago we drove from southwestern Connecticut to Bethesda, MD. What should have taken perhaps 4 1/2 hours took seven hours. Weather was not a problem; there was simply a lot of traffic and a couple of accidents.

In March, there will also be the chance of a snow storm.

Because a lot of motels offer free parking, there might be no additional cost resulting from driving down the day before. If OP is determined to drive down the day of the cruise, a 6:00 AM (preferably earlier) start makes sense. At the very least, a cancelable reservation at a motel near the port should be made - and used if there were any predictions of snow for embarkation day.

About 400 miles -- from SF Bay area to San Pedro. We do this when we have a family group cruise happening. Saves everyone some $$ by not having to buy a bunch of airfares for the kiddies. Typically we will be in a caravan heading down I-5 very early in the morning. Several stops for breaks, food, gas, etc (my vehicle's mpg sucks!).

Our "home" port is Bayonne, NY - 3hrs 50mins from here. We'll be doing that drive 3x in 2014 all on the day of embarkation.

Does it really take just under 4 hours to get to Bayonne from Syracuse? I was planning on 4 1/2, so this is encouraging. I still may start down the evening before and stay overnight along the way.

To the OP: I'm sure you know to factor in the traffic around the metro areas, and any bridges you may need, depending on which side of the Hudson you're on. Personally, I'd add an hour onto the time and see if it's still worth it to you.

Four-ish hours is about it for us. We have driven from NY to Baltimore........ totally do-able. It does NOT take this long, but we plan our departure to arrive 6 hours after leaving. IE: if we want to arrive around 1, we leave 7AM It never takes that long and we got there shortly after 11, but we like to pad the time, "just in case". And as others have said, mind the weather and if it's winter and a storm is predicted, drive down the day prior.

Does it really take just under 4 hours to get to Bayonne from Syracuse? I was planning on 4 1/2, so this is encouraging. I still may start down the evening before and stay overnight along the way.

To the OP: I'm sure you know to factor in the traffic around the metro areas, and any bridges you may need, depending on which side of the Hudson you're on. Personally, I'd add an hour onto the time and see if it's still worth it to you.

3:45 is about right from Syracuse. We've done that drive down to the NYC area many times. Bottom line, is that you are stopping just short of the city and the insane traffic - where you lose all kinds of time. I also don't putter around - I keep it locked into 75 all the way thru.

You should be fine we've done Philly to Cape Liberty & the Brooklyn terminal morning of the cruise. We've also done Philly to Baltimore the morning of the cruise.

The worst part will be the NJ turnpike. :eek: I hate that road. Just make sure you have some alternate routes, just in case.

The hardest part for us is getting the kids moving! When we did Brooklyn, we had our 2 teens, my mom & MIL. I thought my dh's head would explode trying to get us out of the house & we still got there in plenty of time.

OP here - thanks all for your replies!

I think we will keep a close eye on the weather, but otherwise still plan to be on the road by 6-6:30am. I've been reading here on CC that the Pride rarely boards before 1 anyway. So that leaves plenty of time to make the drive. We know alt routes if there are traffic snags. It's also a Sunday morning so no commuter traffic through NJ.

I think the park and cruise hotel deals make sense for those with little baggage... But for us with car seat (have to bring it for our port Canaveral stop) and stroller etc it will just be a pain in the rear to have to load all that plus us into a hotel shuttle, and then have to wait for a shuttle on our return. Easier just to have our own car right there and do one load in and out! (This is also why you'll not see us on any Florida cruises until the kids are older -- dealing with air travel is such a hassle!)

3:45 is about right from Syracuse. We've done that drive down to the NYC area many times. Bottom line, is that you are stopping just short of the city and the insane traffic - where you lose all kinds of time. I also don't putter around - I keep it locked into 75 all the way thru.

Thanks for the info. I used to drive to Long Island all the time, so the trip to Bayonne, without the major bridge crossings, seems like a breeze ;)